Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their grandchildren. The majority of caregivers are middle-aged women. Caregiving can be very stressful, so it's important to recognize when it's putting to much strain on you and to take steps to prevent/relieve stress. Read more: Caregiving Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Caring for Someone With Alzheimer's Disease
Use this guide for advice on caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Learn to spot early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease...
Related Disease Conditions
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Cancers that form from brain tissue are called primary brain tumors. Brain tumors may be malignant (brain cancer) or benign....
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
ICU psychosis is a disorder (also a form of delirium or acute brain failure) in which patients in an intensive care unit or a...
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Testicular cancer symptoms include a painless lump or swelling in a testicle, testicle or scrotum pain, a dull ache in the...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Melanoma is a type of skin cancer which begins in skin cells called melanocytes and affects more than 53,600 people in the United...
Grief: Loss of a Loved One
Grief is the feeling one experiences after a loss (of a friendship, death of loved one, job). Complicated grief refers to grief...
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer)
Symptoms of cancer of the larynx, the organ at the front of the neck, include hoarseness, a lump in the neck, sore throat, cough,...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
Parkinson's Disease: Eating Right
Eating a well-balanced and nutritional diet is very beneficial to people with Parkinson's disease. With a proper diet, our...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an abnormality of motor function and postural tone acquired at an early age (even before birth). Cerebral...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Huntington's disease is the result of degeneration of neurons in areas of the brain. Huntington's disease is an inherited...
Advance Medical Directives (Living Will, Power of Attorney, and Health Care Proxy)
Advance directives are designed to outline a person's wishes and preferences in regard to medical treatments and interventions....
Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Inflammatory breast cancer is an accelerated form of breast cancer that is not usually detected by mammogram or ultrasound....
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Hospice is a service that offers support, resources, and assistance to terminally ill patients and their families. In such late...
Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy (MSBP)
Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSBP) is a mental illness (factitious disorder) in which a caregiver secretly abuses a child by...
Depression in the Elderly
Depression in the elderly is very common. That doesn't mean, though, it's normal. Treatment may involve antidepressants,...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Noonan syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes birth defects (congenital malformations) such as short stature, caved-in...
Cancer pain results from the tumor pressing on nerves or invading bones or organs. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy,...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Breast Cancer and Coping With Stress
Being diagnosed with breast cancer is stressful. Learning relaxation techniques, exercising, eating well, getting adequate sleep,...
Alzheimer's Disease: Financial Planning
Alzheimer's disease can be not only mentally devastating to an indivdiual and family, it can also be emotionally devastating....
Cancer survivors face ongoing physical, mental, occupational, and relationship challenges. Cancer survivors must coordinate...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Protecting Seniors From Scammers
- Many Female Health Care Workers Make Poverty-Level Wages: Study
- What Makes for a Good Nursing Home?
- Health Tip: Caring for a Person With Alzheimer's
- Health Tip: Toothbrushing Tips For Caregivers
- Key Strategies When Caring for a Loved One With Dementia
- In-Home Services Coming for Seniors With Private Medicare Advantage Plans
- Worst Bedsores Still Plague U.S. Hospital Patients: Study
- Poorer Care at For-Profit Nursing Homes, Study Claims
- Barriers to Doctor-Nurse Communications Thwart Care
- In the ICU, Patients' Relatives Often Mum About Care Concerns
- End-of-Life Care Depends on Doctor
- Robots May Soon Join Ranks of Alzheimer's Caregivers
- Health Tip: Caregivers Can Help Prevent Falls
- Health Tip: Control Caregiver Stress
- Health Tip: Providing End of Life Care
- End-of-Life Care Saves Money
- Health Tip: Signs of Abuse at an Eldercare Facility
- Health Tip: Using a Geriatric Care Manager
- Care for Caregivers
- Many May Get Hospice Care Too Late
- Health Tip: Long-Distance Caregiving
- Caregiving Needs Double as End of Life Nears
- Caring for Aging Parents
- Special Training Plus Medication Might Help People With Advanced Alzheimer's
- Depression May Worsen Health for Cancer Caregivers
- 'Making the Best of It': Families Face the Heavy Burden of Alzheimer's
- Advocating for a Loved One
- Alzheimer's Deaths Jump 55 Percent: CDC
- Wives, Daughters Shoulder Most of Alzheimer's Care Burden
- Money Pressures Mount When a Spouse Gets Cancer
- After Wives Suffer Stroke, Husbands Adapt to Caregiving Role
- 'Love Hormone' Helps Dads and Babies Bond
- When Loved One Has Breast Cancer, Partner Suffers, Too
- Health Tip: When You're a Caregiver With a Full-Time Job
- Cancer Caregivers Face Difficult Demands
- Nearly 1 in 4 U.S. Seniors Has Some Form of Disability
- More Older Americans Cared for at Home
- Depression Strikes, Stays With Many Caregivers of Critically Ill
- Early Emotional Support May Help Kids Manage Feelings Later
- Caregivers Often Give Up Necessities to Cover Alzheimer's Costs
- Stress of Caring for Sick Spouse May Raise Stroke Risk
- As Caregivers, Women May Suffer More Than Men
- Helping With Health Care Takes Heavy Toll on Caregivers
- When Your Spouse Has a Stroke, Your Health May Suffer, Too
- Health Tip: Caregiver Stress Can Harm Your Health
- Mom's Words Matter Most to Newborns
- 'Informal Care' for Older Americans Tops $500B Annually, Study Finds
- Young Caregivers Risk Failing in School, Study Says
- When Parents Need Care, Daughters Carry the Burden: Study
- Nursing Home Care May Be Out of Reach for Many Aging 'Boomers': Study
- After Stroke, Spouse May Also Need Care
- Dad's Brain Becomes More 'Maternal' When He's Primary Caregiver: Study
- Unneeded Cancer Care Is Rare, Study Finds
- Caring for Severely Ill Kids May Have Silver Lining
- Hobbies Important for Stroke-Victim Caregivers
- My Father's Keeper: Caring for a Parent With Dementia
- For Seniors With Dementia, the Choice to Live Alone Can Be a Risky One
- Portable Bed Rails Can Pose Safety Hazard, FDA Says
- Good News for Caregivers: You May Live Longer
- For Some With Alzheimer's, Occupational Therapy Can Bring Welcome Relief
- Disability Often Goes Hand-in-Hand With Old Age
- 'Domestic' Dads Often Face Scorn at Work, Study Finds
- For Alzheimer's Caregivers, a Much-Needed Break
- Household Chores May Ease Nighttime Menopausal Symptoms
- Family's Questions About Alzheimer's Patients Can Put Nurses in a Bind
- Wondering About Your Hospital's Quality? Ask a Nurse
- Home Elder Care: Buyer, Beware
- Health Tip: Take Care of Yourself, Too
- Infants' Faces Trigger Caregiving Impulse in Adults' Brains
- Married Heart Surgery Patients Live Longer
- 1 in 7 People With Alzheimer's Lives Alone
- Testosterone May Drop When Men Become Dads
- For Many Americans, Caregiving a Long-Distance Burden
- Report Calls for Improvement in Home Health Care
- Marriage Might Boost Colon Cancer Survival
- Alzheimer's Caregivers May Be at Risk for Dementia
- Women Give Up Sleep to Care for Others
- Alzheimer's and Its Impact on Women