Carcinoid syndrome is a condition that results from rare hormone-producing tumors called carcinoid tumors that can arise in different locations of the body. Carcinoid tumors are either benign or malignant, and most occur in the gastrointestinal tract.
Carcinoid syndrome may cause signs and symptoms such as facial flushing due to widened blood vessels on the face, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rapid heart rate. Other associated symptoms can include wheezing, red or purplish discoloration of the face and neck, a sudden drop in blood pressure, and heart disease due to scarring and stiffness of the valves on the right side of the heart (tricuspid and pulmonic valves).
Cause of carcinoid syndrome
The hormones produced by the tumors cause the symptoms of carcinoid syndrome.
Other carcinoid syndrome symptoms and signs
- Abdominal Pain
- Facial Flushing
- Heart Disease
- Purple or Red Discoloration of the Neck or Face
- Rapid Drop in Blood Pressure
- Rapid Heart Rate
Main Article on Carcinoid Syndrome Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Cancer: How to Lower and Cut Your Risk of Cancer
About a third of all cases of cancer can be prevented. Find out how to lower your chances of getting it.
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Examples of Medications for Carcinoid Syndrome Symptoms and Signs
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- cyproheptadine (Periactin)
- diphenoxylate and atropine (Lomotil)
- doxorubicin - injection, Adriamycin, Rubex
- doxorubicin liposomal - injection, Doxil
- Interferon: Potential COVID-19 Treatment
- loperamide (Imodium)
- octreotide (Sandostatin)
- octreotide acetate (Sandostatin LAR)
- ondansetron (Zofran, Zofran ODT, Zuplenz)
- ondansetron - injection, Zofran
- ondansetron - oral, Zofran
- Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) Injection