Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Topical Medications

What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was getting canker sores every month for years. They are terribly painful and sometimes mine would last weeks. Chocolate and coffee aggravated them. Also stress. I tried hydrogen peroxide and that irritated it more. This had nothing to do with canker sores, but my doctor put me on hormones due to zero estrogen levels. A few weeks later I realized the canker sores had disappeared. Maybe twice a year I will get one from chocolate, but even then it is a small one that never lasts. Such a relief to finally get rid of them.

Comment from: The sufferer, 19-24 (Patient) Published: April 16

I use alum powder on my canker sores when I can, it really only works when you can reach at the sores in your mouth. Do not swish around in your mouth, it tastes exactly like bile. I find it works best when you put the alum directly on to the sore, then put some of the canker medication that's like a gel and it essentially holds the alum in place drying out the sore. Best to do it before bed overnight and it may sting the next day so I just put the gel on to soothe it then do the same thing with the alum the following night.

Comment from: jj13u, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I just wanted to share my story, and hopefully will help someone. I religiously drank Bigelow Earl Grey tea from the age of 15. I suffered from canker sores from childhood, but around the same age, my canker sores increased. Doctors attributed the increased sores to puberty. They would last for 2 weeks plus and be so large or so many that I would fake 'no voice' so I wouldn't have to speak, because it would be so painful. Finally at age 34, I decided to eliminate sugar from my diet and my tea drinking ceased, as did my canker sores. Eventually I returned to sugar and drinking tea and the sores returned. It took several times back and forth before I realized that it might be the bergamot oil in the tea that might be an irritant. I can drink other Bigelow black teas without issue. I can still get a canker sore from trauma, if I bite my lip, but it only lasts a few days and does not cause as much pain.

Comment from: Rosesting1967, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My daughter had a couple of canker sores and we used custard powder to heal it. In two days it was gone. I tried straight baking soda, which burned her too much, but she loved the custard powder. It worked to heal and soothe the pain.

Comment from: balx23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have a canker sore on the side of my tongue (I've always called them ulcers, whatever anyone wants to call them, they are annoying and hurt to say the least). I am very curious what remedy works the fastest.

Comment from: kofta, 45-54 Female Published: February 04

Eat one or two granny smith apples. Hold the pulp of the apple when it's in your mouth against the painful part of where the sore is (mine is always on the edges of the tongue). It almost instantly takes away the pain. Eat the apple when the pain just starts.

Comment from: Modiri, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 18

Taking Metrol pills & avoiding toothpaste with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I found that if you apply Alum directly to the canker sore inside your mouth before bedtime it will usually disappear overnight. Alum is a mineral used in cooking and pickling.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I treat ones I get on my gums with Listerine mouthwash.

Comment from: Jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have always been plagued with this pesky mouth and canker sores, usually found under my tongue. I have also noticed that I will obtain a sore wherever I may have bitten my lip or jaw when chewing. Anyway, I have found that by swishing with the blue Crest mouthwash, the time hurting from these sores is diminished. Also, my father shared a concoction recipe that was given to him after having all of his teeth pulled out at the same time. This recipe calls for two parts of baking soda and one part of salt. The instructions were to simply brush and rinse your mouth with this daily. It truly works as it whitens your teeth and strengthens your gums. It works wonders for your mouth following a wisdom tooth abstraction as well.

Shocking Diseases of the Mouth
Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had canker sores since my childhood and now I am 45 year old. The only thing that helped me was taking iron tablets- my doctor gave me a prescription for 6 months since I had a mild anemia. I noticed all my canker sores disappeared and I didn't have new ones for months.

Comment from: Hafeez, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I get frequent aphthous ulcers (canker sores, most of the time it is on uvula, this leads to lung congestion. Doctors told me to live with it as there is no cure for this. I on my own take Omeparazol (omez) which is very helpful.

Shocking Diseases of the Mouth