Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: Keviz3007, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

I am a 34 year old Indian guy who loves spicy food. I get canker sores on the inside of my lips once or twice a year. It usually goes away in 48 hours by drinking excess water or eating foods that reduce body heat. However in July 2017 I got a canker sore below my tongue (near my molars) that was very painful and I also had ear pain. When it did not reduce any bit even after 96 hours I got worried. During this time I was rinsing my mouth with warm salt water twice a day and applying glycerin. I then talked to a doctor friend who suggested the mildest Crest mouthwash. I started rinsing twice or thrice a day and also was doing the warm salt water rinse and within 48 hours of starting to do that the sore healed. I am not sure if it was the mouthwash that expedited the healing process or if the sore itself would have gone down in 6 or 7 days.

Comment from: Lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

My great-grandmother always had us put alum on our canker sores. It is a bitter spice that is used in pickling. I put the powder directly on the canker sore. It is sour to taste, but not harmful. It is ok to spit out the remainder after applying to the canker. When I wake up in the morning they are gone. This also works for fever blisters. I hope this helps someone. I thought everyone did this to get rid of them, but I am finding only a handful of people grew up doing this.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have had canker sores my whole life. I get them to where the pain radiates to the ear nearest the canker sore with or without fever. I have tried all of the remedies discussed. I have found that they are brought on through 3 ways. One, an overly acidic environment through stress or diet (too many sour foods). Two, injury to my mouth from my mouth guard or getting dental work, or biting cheek or tongue. And three, gargling 2 days or more with Listerine coupled with chewing 2 to 3 pieces of strong mint gum too during the same two days. I stopped using toothpaste that had sodium laurate and only using Pronamel toothpaste and have been able to avoid getting them until I had a bad bout of stress. I put a drop of tea tree oil and gargled with it once and the pain lessened greatly both in the sore and in my ear. I hope it will be gone tomorrow.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have gotten canker sores for as long as I can remember. They end up hurting so badly that I can barely eat. One trick my aunt told me was to put baking soda on it before bed. It is my go-to for canker sores and it always works; at the very least, to minimize the size of the sore and start the healing.

Comment from: Nibbles32, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I found super drug aloe vera hand gel, a tiny blob on the side of my mouth cracks after breakfast and last thing at night cures the canker sores quicker than anything else. This is scary because it makes you wonder about the power of the thing that takes hand gel with strength to kill 99 percent of germs started and what it is.

Comment from: MarkShift, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I've tried every remedy doctor suggested and old wives tales for canker sores and nothing helped until I found the Canker Spanker. What a relief!

Comment from: nikkihug, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

The five main causes of canker sores are stress, hormones, injury, citric acid, and allergies. Minor canker sores can be soothed by gargling with whole milk without irritating the sore, unlike many topical remedies. The Canker Spanker heals and prevents canker sores with zero irritation.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.