Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Oral Medications

Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

Topical medicines help canker sores, but hard to locate on spots. I think they shorten the time and numb, but as I said hard to get on spots. Hard gel falls off Q-tip easily before you get to the ulcer.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was taking naproxen for several days to alleviate back pain, but am convinced it caused an outbreak of canker sores as I had 3 form at once. Now I see that naproxen is a known trigger for many and canker sores are a side effect of naproxen, so it should be pointed out before advising canker sore sufferers to take it for pain.

Comment from: AGK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My dentist prescribed Dexilant, which has proven effective...having a hard time getting insurance to cover it...but the frequency of outbreaks have been dramatically reduces. I also use debacterol to coat the sores when I do have an outbreak, which makes it much more tolerable.

Comment from: Faulk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

My doctor prescribes a Medrol Dosepak (prednisone) for my canker sores. This is the only thing that helps me. The pain is gone in a day or two at the most, and the canker sores heal in about four days.

Shocking Diseases of the Mouth