Cancer pain results from the tumor pressing on nerves or invading bones or organs. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy, radiation, or surgery can also cause pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers, prescription medications, radiation, biofeedback, and relaxation techniques are just some treatments for cancer pain. Read more: Cancer Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Prostate Cancer Symptoms, PSA Test, Treatments
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer, along with causes and...
Cervical Cancer Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
Cervical cancer is commonly caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infections. Learn about vaccines to prevent cervical cancer. Get...
Nerve Pain: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment Options
Learn about nerve pain symptoms, causes, and treatment options. Discover medications, treatments, and natural remedies that can...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Related Disease Conditions
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer that develops in plasma cells, the white blood cells that make antibodies. Symptoms include...
Bone cancer is a rare type of cancer that occurs in cells that make up the bones. Primary bone cancer that arises in bone cells...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
There are several types of kidney cancer, including renal cell cancer (renal adenocarcinoma or hypernephroma), transitional cell...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: Differences and Similarities
Both Hodgkin's disease (sometimes referred to as Hodgkin's lymphoma) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma are cancers that originate in a...
Thymoma is an uncommon cancer of the thymus gland. Many thymomas are asymptomatic. When symptoms do occur, they include chest...
Urethral cancer is a rare form of cancer that primarily affects white females, people over 60 years of age, and those who have...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Second Source article from Government...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Gallbladder cancer is a rare form of cancer with symptoms that include jaundice, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting,...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Neuroblastoma is a type of cancer that usually afflicts children under 5 years of age. The cancer forms in the adrenal glands,...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant, Fanatrex FusePag) Side Effects, Dosage, and Abuse
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- codeine (for Pain)
- clonidine (Catapres, Catapres-TTS)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone: Which Is Better for Pain?
- Oxycodone: for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta)
- Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen, Roxicet, Tylox, Oxycet)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- ondansetron (Zofran, Zofran ODT, Zuplenz)
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- carbamazepine, Tegretol, Tegretol XR , Equetro, Carbatrol, Epitol, Teril
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- fentanyl tablet - buccal, Fentora
- Hydrocodone vs. Hydromorphone (Differences between Side Effects)
- Dilaudid vs. Percocet for Pain
- meperidine - injection, Demerol
- Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale, Blowball, Lion's Teeth)
- fentanyl lozenge - buccal, Actiq
- Dilaudid vs. Fentanyl (Pain Strength Comparison and Side Effects)
- granisetron transdermal system (patch), Sancuso
- alemtuzumab (Campath)
- sonidegib (Odomzo)
Prevention & Wellness
- Reaching Beyond the Prescription Pad to Treat Pain
- New Guidelines Issued for Cancer Patients' Post-Treatment Pain
- Tighter Opioid Laws in U.S. Haven't Eased Misuse
- Prince Died From Fentanyl Overdose
- Opioids: What Patients -- and Doctors -- Think
- Prescriptions Continue for Most Who Survive Painkiller ODs: Study
- Methadone for Pain Relief Leading Cause of Fatal Overdoses: CDC
- Could Sunlight Lower Your Odds for Pancreatic Cancer?
- Esophageal Cancer Surgery Can Leave Lingering Health Problems, Study Says
- FDA Panel Recommends Second Chance for New Class of Painkillers
- Health Highlights: Jan. 24, 2012
- Health Highlights: Jan. 23, 2012
- Common Prostate Cancer Treatment May Be Less Risky Than Thought
- Combination Therapy Needed to Fight Chronic Pain
- Smoking May Worsen Cancer Pain
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Pain Relievers May Reduce Cancer Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter