Cancer detection are methods used to find cancer in persons who may or may not have symptoms. Symptoms of cancer are abnormal sensations or conditions that persons can notice that are a result of the cancer. It is important to your doctor for regular checkups and not wait for problems to occur. Read more: Screening Tests for Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Signs, Screening, Stages
Colorectal cancer (colon cancer) is the cause of many cancer deaths. Learn about the warning signs, symptoms, screening process,...
Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images
Discover the causes, types, and treatments of skin cancer. Learn how to prevent skin cancer and how to check for melanoma, basal...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Picture of Dysplastic Nevus
An atypical mole whose appearance is different from that of a common ordinary mole. See a picture of Dysplastic Nevus and learn...
Picture of Dysplastic Nevi (Atypical Moles)
Atypical moles whose appearance is different from that of a common ordinary mole. See a picture of Dysplastic Nevi (Atypical...
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Related Disease Conditions
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer that develops in plasma cells, the white blood cells that make antibodies. Symptoms include...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Bone cancer is a rare type of cancer that occurs in cells that make up the bones. Primary bone cancer that arises in bone cells...
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Actinic keratoses are rough, scaly patches of skin that are considered precancerous and are due to sun exposure. Prevention is to...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Though the cause of stomach cancer is unknown, risk factors for stomach cancer include diet, H. pylori infection, smoking age,...
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer)
Symptoms of cancer of the larynx, the organ at the front of the neck, include hoarseness, a lump in the neck, sore throat, cough,...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early...
The breast, or mammary gland is made up of lobules, milk producing glands, and a system of ducts to transport milk. Both males...
The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Testicular cancer symptoms include a painless lump or swelling in a testicle, testicle or scrotum pain, a dull ache in the...
Melanoma is a type of skin cancer which begins in skin cells called melanocytes and affects more than 53,600 people in the United...
Polymyositis is a disease of the muscle featuring inflammation of the muscle fibers. It results in weakness of the muscles which...
Vaginal cancer is fairly uncommon. There are two types of vaginal cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. Risk...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
There are several types of kidney cancer, including renal cell cancer (renal adenocarcinoma or hypernephroma), transitional cell...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Burkitt lymphomas are types of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that affect the bone marrow and central nervous system. There are multiple...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that forms in the chest lining (pleural mesothelioma), abdomen (peritoneal mesothelioma), and...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- CA 125 Ovarian Tumor Marker Blood Test
- Endoscopy (EGD) Procedure
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Lumbar Puncture (LP or Spinal Tap)
- Pap Smear
- Carcinoembryonic Antigen
- Alpha-Fetoprotein Blood Test
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Colon and Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- HPV Test
- Barium Enema
- Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy
- Breast Self Exam
- Genetic Testing for Breast Cancer
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor After a Cancer Diagnosis
- Thyroid Cancer: Chief Justice Has Thyroid Cancer
- 5 Causes of Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers
- Cancer Care in the Elderly
- Testicular Cancer ... Cycling and Cisplatin
- Colon Cancer and Polyp Screening Guidelines
- Dana Reeve Dies of Lung Cancer by Dr. Stoppler
- Stage IV Colon Cancer That Has Spread to the Liver
- Is Prostate Cancer Genetic?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- 10 Cancer Symptoms That Men Ignore
- Fever: Unexplained Fever...A Difficult Diagnosis
- Testicular Cancer: Symptoms and Detection Podcast
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Newer Lung Cancer Screening Saves More Lives
- Could 3-D Mammograms Soon Be the Standard for Breast Cancer Screening?
- 5 Ways Men Can Take Charge of Their Health
- FDA Making Experimental Cancer Treatments Easier to Get
- Blood Test Could Spot Multiple Cancer Types, Researchers Say
- Do Doctors Give Better Care in the Morning?
- With Weeks to Live, Many Cancer Patients Try Useless Treatments
- Medicaid Coverage for Lung Cancer Screening All Over the Map
- Could the U.S. Mail Deliver Better Colon Cancer Screening Rates?
- AI Takes Aim at Lung Cancer Screening
- Could Invasive Lung Cancer Biopsies Be Replaced by Blood Tests?
- Don't Be Fooled: Thermography No Substitute for Mammograms, FDA Says
- Primary Care Doctors Help Boost Life Spans, But More Are Needed
- Health Screenings Every Woman Needs
- Obesity-Linked Cancers On the Rise Among Young Americans
- Patients With Primary Care Docs May Get Better Health Care
- Adding Blood Test for Pancreatic Cancer May Aid Early Detection
- Vaccine, Screening Can Prevent Cervical Cancer Deaths
- Health Tip: Don't Ignore Changes in Skin Color
- U.S. Cancer Deaths Continue to Decline
- Too Few Women Are Getting Cervical Cancer Screening
- Suicide Risk Rises Following Cancer Diagnosis
- Testicular Cancer a Bigger Threat to Young Men
- Rapid Test for Cancer Developed by Researchers
- Most People Don't Know if They Have Genetic Risk for Cancer
- 5 Facts Every Woman Should Know About Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Advances Rely on U.S. Funding: Report
- Health Tip: Talking About Your Cancer Diagnosis
- Drug Combo Fights Melanoma That Has Spread to Brain
- Study Explores New Way to Stop Cancer's Spread
- Too Few Americans Getting Screened for Cancer: CDC
- Obamacare May Have Helped More Women Spot Cancer Early
- First Blood Test for Melanoma
- Health Tip: If You're 45 or Older, Get Screened for Colorectal Cancer
- New Cancer Immunotherapy Technique Could be 'Game Changer'
- Flight Attendants Show Higher Cancer Risks
- Mammograms Might Encourage Other Screenings
- Cancer Care Twice as Costly in U.S. Versus Canada
- Could a Blood Test Spot Lung Cancer Early?
- Wise Words on Women's Health
- Health Tip: Why Get a Biopsy
- Many Ground Zero Rescue Workers Battling Cancer Years Later
- How a False Alarm Affects Future Cancer Screenings
- Could a Tattoo Someday Spot Your Cancer?
- Health Tip: Screening for Cancer in Older Adults
- Marriage Means 'I Do' for Skin Cancer Detection
- Major Project Completes Genetic 'Map' of 33 Cancers
- His Prostate Cancer Becomes Her Struggle, Too
- Could a Pap Test Spot More Than Just Cervical Cancer?
- Task Force Issues Stronger Skin Cancer Prevention Guidelines
- Study Confirms Lifesaving Value of Colonoscopy
- Odds of Surviving Anal Cancer Colored by Income
- Breast Cancer Screening Guidelines May Miss Minorities
- Health Tip: Surviving Cancer Mentally
- Obamacare Helped More Americans Spot Cancer Early
- Tests May Bring New Wave of Cancer Detection
- 'Liquid Biopsy' May Show Whether Cancer Drugs Are Working
- Gene Therapy Shows Promise Against Leukemia, Other Blood Cancers
- Every 3 Years Is Best for Stomach Cancer Tests: Study
- New Test Helps Evaluate Cancer Drug's Merit
- No Dip in Cancer Screening for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Studies See Advances in Detecting, Treating Pancreatic Cancer
- Screening for Lung Cancer Might Benefit Those at Highest Risk
- New Cervical Cancer Guidelines: Less Screening
- Is Cancer Outwitting 'Personalized Medicine'?
- Testicular Cancer: Treatment and Survival
- Lesion...What Does The Doctor Mean?
- Colon Cancer - Could Be In The Genes
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
- Tobacco & Diet: Cancer Killers!
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
- Whole Body Scanning, Do You Really Need One?
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Cancer, A Wound That Doesn't Heal