Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase a person's odds of developing cancer. These risk factors include growing older, family history of cancer, diet, alcohol and tobacco use, and exposure to sunlight, ionizing radiation, certain chemicals, and some viruses and bacteria. Read more: Cancer Risk Factors Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images
Discover the causes, types, and treatments of skin cancer. Learn how to prevent skin cancer and how to check for melanoma, basal...
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Prostate Cancer Symptoms, PSA Test, Treatments
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Learn the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer, along with causes and...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Cervical Cancer Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
Cervical cancer is commonly caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infections. Learn about vaccines to prevent cervical cancer. Get...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Signs of Cancer in Men: Could it Be Cancer?
See pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast...
Healthy Eating: The Dangers of Processed Meat
Processed meats like pepperoni, beef jerky, and chicken nuggets are associated with an increased risk of health problems like...
Related Disease Conditions
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning) Symptoms, Pain Relief, Healing Time
Sunburn is caused by overexposure to UV radiation from the sun. UV rays can also damage the eyes. Repeated overexposure to UV...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection Symptoms, Test, Treatment
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a bacteria that causes chronic inflammation (gastritis) of the inner lining of the stomach,...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly...
Breast Lumps (In Women)
Breast lumps in women can have a variety of causes such as breast inflammation, infection, injuries, cancer, and non-cancerous...
Crohn's Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Colon Polyps (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Treatment, Prevention)
Colon polyps are common growths on the inner lining of the colon. Colon polyps may become cancerous. There are several different...
Bone cancer is a rare type of cancer that occurs in cells that make up the bones. Primary bone cancer that arises in bone cells...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumor of the pancreas. Pancreatic cancer has been called a "silent" disease because early...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G)
Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or...
Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer that develops in plasma cells, the white blood cells that make antibodies. Symptoms include...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men after skin cancer. Risk factors include age, family history, ethnicity, and...
Cancers that form from brain tissue are called primary brain tumors. Brain tumors may be malignant (brain cancer) or benign....
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Testicular cancer symptoms include a painless lump or swelling in a testicle, testicle or scrotum pain, a dull ache in the...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer of the lymphatic system, a vital part of the body's immune system. Symptoms and signs include...
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
The Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a common cause of mononucleosis (viral pharyngitis). Symptoms and signs of an EBV infection...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Arsenic comes in two forms, inorganic and organic. Organic arsenic poisoning is usually not poisonous to humans; however,...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Melanoma is a type of skin cancer which begins in skin cells called melanocytes and affects more than 53,600 people in the United...
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer)
Symptoms of cancer of the larynx, the organ at the front of the neck, include hoarseness, a lump in the neck, sore throat, cough,...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD)
The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Though the cause of stomach cancer is unknown, risk factors for stomach cancer include diet, H. pylori infection, smoking age,...
There are several types of kidney cancer, including renal cell cancer (renal adenocarcinoma or hypernephroma), transitional cell...
The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Cauda Equina Syndrome
Cauda equina syndrome is a medical emergency condition that is caused by the uncommon compression of the nerves at the end of the...
Thymoma is an uncommon cancer of the thymus gland. Many thymomas are asymptomatic. When symptoms do occur, they include chest...
Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: Differences and Similarities
Both Hodgkin's disease (sometimes referred to as Hodgkin's lymphoma) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma are cancers that originate in a...
Salivary Gland Cancer
Salivary gland cancer is cancer that affects the parotid glands, sublingual glands, or the submandibular glands. Risk factors...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Vaginal cancer is fairly uncommon. There are two types of vaginal cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. Risk...
Urethral cancer is a rare form of cancer that primarily affects white females, people over 60 years of age, and those who have...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Nature vs. Nurture Theory (Genes vs. Environment)
In the nature vs. nurture debate, "nature" represents our genetic makeup. These are the genes you have inherited from...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Burkitt lymphomas are types of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that affect the bone marrow and central nervous system. There are multiple...
Gallbladder cancer is a rare form of cancer with symptoms that include jaundice, abdominal pain, fever, nausea and vomiting,...
Nasopharyngeal cancer is a form of cancer in which malignant cells form in the nasopharynx tissues. Risk factors include being of...
Radon (A Citizen's Guide to Radon)
Radon is a radioactive gas that has been confirmed to cause cancers. About 21,000 individuals die each year due to radon...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that forms in the chest lining (pleural mesothelioma), abdomen (peritoneal mesothelioma), and...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
Endometrial Cancer Prevention
Endometrial cancer, or uterine cancer, affects the endometrium of the uterus. It's the most common invasive cancer of the female...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Skin Cancer Rate Increasing
- Cancer,Stroke & Heart Attack Risks- ReducedThrough Walking
- Dialing Up a Tumor on Your Cell Phone
- Farm-Raised Salmon Now Safe?
- 5 Causes of Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers
- The Broad Spectrum of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Disease
- Senator Ted Kennedy: Seizure, Brain Cancer, and Death
- Truths, Lies, and Sunscreens
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor After a Cancer Diagnosis
- Stage IV Colon Cancer That Has Spread to the Liver
- HPV Vaccine Recommendations for Girls, Boys, Women, and Men
- Aspartame Safety Concerns
- 10 Cancer Symptoms That Men Ignore
- Potassium Iodide Pills: Can They Protect You From Radiation Exposure?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- New Cancer Immunotherapy Technique Could be 'Game Changer'
- Flight Attendants Show Higher Cancer Risks
- Many Childhood Cancer Survivors in Denial About Future Health Risks
- Drug May Spare Some Kidney Cancer Patients From Organ Removal
- Cancer Care Twice as Costly in U.S. Versus Canada
- Heavier Women May Face Higher Cancer Risks, Study Finds
- Men May Gain More From Cancer Immunotherapy
- What Causes Cancer? Misconceptions Abound
- Judge Says Coffee Sold in California Must Carry Cancer Warnings
- Health Tip: Heavy Alcohol Use Increases Cancer Risk
- Positioning During Cancer Radiation May Be Key to Heart Risks
- Marriage Means 'I Do' for Skin Cancer Detection
- Some Blood Pressure Meds Tied to Pancreatic Cancer Risk in Women
- Belly Fat Tied to Lower Kidney Cancer Survival Odds in Women
- Major Project Completes Genetic 'Map' of 33 Cancers
- More Women Die of Lung Cancer in 2 U.S. 'Hot Spots'
- TV Hit Show Creator Steven Bochco Dead at 74
- A Light Breakfast Might Cut Cost of Pricey Prostate Cancer Drug
- Researchers Making Inroads Against Ovarian Cancer
- His Prostate Cancer Becomes Her Struggle, Too
- Could a Pap Test Spot More Than Just Cervical Cancer?
- Study Confirms Lifesaving Value of Colonoscopy
- Cutting Chemo Heart Risks for Breast Cancer Patients
- Health Tip: Surviving Cancer Mentally
- Mexican-Americans at Higher Risk for Liver Cancer
- Drinking Boosts Breast Cancer Risk for Black Women, Too
- Breast Density May Be Leading Indicator of Cancer Risk
- U.S. Cancer Deaths Decline Over Three Decades
- Know Your Risk for Ovarian Cancer -- and the Symptoms
- Study Suggests Type 2 Diabetes-Cancer Link
- Second, Unrelated Cancers Strike 1 in 12 Cancer Patients
- Well Water a Suspected Cause of Bladder Cancer in New England
- Breast Cancer Equally Common Now Among Blacks, Whites
- Switch From U.S. to African Diet May Lower Colon Cancer Risk in Blacks
- Some Stroke Survivors May Face Heightened Cancer Risk, Study Shows
- Men Who Smoke After Cancer Diagnosis Face Higher Death Risk
- Most Men With Breast Cancer Undergo Mastectomy, Study Finds
- U.S. Lung Cancer Deaths Highest for Blacks in Segregated Areas: Study
- Fruits, Veggies Tied to Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Serious Mental Illness Tied to Higher Cancer, Injury Risk: Studies
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Cut Breast Cancer Risk in Older Women
- Depo-Provera Birth Control Might Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- FDA: Tobacco Companies Must Reveal Harmful Chemicals
- FDA Won't Ban BPA -- Yet
- Is Cancer Outwitting 'Personalized Medicine'?
- Researchers Identify Liver Cancer Risk Factors
- From Bad to Better: U.S. Cancer Rates Continue to Drop
- Carriers of Breast Cancer Gene at Risk of Second Cancer
- Steps Women Can Take to Reduce Risk of Breast Cancer
- Eating Rice May Raise Arsenic Levels
- Higher Cancer Risk in People With HIV
- Does Fertility Treatment Raise Breast Cancer Risk?
- Size Counts When It Comes to Sex
- FDA Raises Concerns Over Arsenic in Chickens
- FDA Warns Lamictal Can Cause Meningitis
- Debate Over U.S. Plan to Cut Salt in Diet
- Michelle Obama's Plan to End Childhood Obesity Epidemic
- Bronchitis Symptoms
- Summer Barbecue: Heat the Meat!
- Oral Cancer Prevention
- Prostate Cancer Prevention
- Hair Care Disasters: Caution with Relaxers and Dyes
- Skin Cancer Prevention
- Stomach Cancer Prevention
- Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular Cancer) Prevention
- Esophageal Cancer Prevention
- Lung Cancer Prevention
- Cervical Cancer Prevention
- Testicular Cancer: Treatment and Survival
- Fluoridated Water - Cancer Facts
- Heterocyclic Amines in Cooked Meats - Cancer Facts
- Cancer Causing Agents - Carcinogens
- Colon Cancer - Could Be In The Genes
- Cancer Survival - Better & Longer Survival Rates
- Tobacco & Diet: Cancer Killers!
- Cancer Treatment - Managing Eating Problems
- Cancer and Sexual Health
- Cancer, A Wound That Doesn't Heal
- Cancer Facts, About Women
- Smoking Still Kills In U.S.
- Cancer Diagnoses & Deaths - Y2K Estimates