Patient Comments: Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mary, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

Thank you for the information I've read. My mom is now suffering from skin disorder for more than 2 years. It started to insect bites, and now as big as a palm like a blooming flowers in her chest. I have already brought in the hospital for medication, ointments and other medicine given. We are advised to visit the dermatologist for biopsy, due to financial problems, we failed. Now, she's just taking pain reliever (mefenamic acid) to less the pain. But more often she refuses because she's suffering from loss of hearing. She's now 84 years old. Please help advise what other remedies to cure her, since other symptoms of cancer I've seen to her. Thank you very much.

Comment from: cancerian, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 16

My father was suffering from acidity and gastric problem for quite some time. On going through ultrasound of whole abdomen some kind of cyst/tumors were detected in kidneys, lungs, liver and at GI junction. After two CT scans and FNAC of liver SOL it was detected that it was a squamous cell carcinoma, but after doing endoscopy esophagus and stomach was found clean.

Comment from: Okinawa05, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I got a muscle strain from coughing. My pain is on the top left of my rib. It hurts when I do anything and I am still coughing hard because I am sick so I can't give it any rest. I am concerned that I may make it worse. I haven't tried ice yet. That is my next step!

Comment from: nanabelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My cancer began as Cervical in 2006. After the birth of my last child in 1989 I made a stupid mistake and did not go for yearly pap smears, instead I waited 17 years and by this time I had waited too long. The first biopsy came back abnormal, the second biopsy the GYN overlooked and did not send to lab. After three months of me asking what results were I found I had cancer. After labwork confirmed, I had a radical hysterectomy mid-2006. Cancer continued to re-occur at each three month visit, numerous laser treatments until 5 year point, when Doctor said he felt I could now wait one year before returning. Within this time I also was diagnosed with Lung Cancer (I have never smoked) and it was by chance after having laser surgery on my cervix that this showed up on a chest X-ray. This was removed March 2010. Now three weeks ago, I went for my Cervical check and now I have a cancer tumor on my vaginal wall that has also gone into lymph nodes and possibly my bladder. I begin chemo and radiation within 10 days and have been told only 60 percent chance that this will rid me of cancer. I am very angry and scared to death. Please do not accept what you are told as truth, listen to your body and get second opinions, follow up yourself and believe in what your intuition is telling you. Remember the Doctor has other patients, family and things going on in his own life that could also potentially affect you. We are only another person lying on their table.

Comment from: Skin cancar, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I have a scar on my right cheek from a large mole removed when I was three years old. It was itchy and the bumpy red part bled when scratched. Turns out it was Basal Cell Carcinoma.

Comment from: sheilanorthrop, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My dad has been doctoring on a thumb that has been causing him a lot of pain for three years. He has been told many things, going from doctor to doctor. He went to the dermatologist our last resort and the doctor found cancer. Where we go from here, I'm not sure but it took so long.

Comment from: Randibluez14, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 17 years old and in September of 2010 I went to the hospital for appendicitis. A week later my mom got a call from the doctor saying they found a tumor in the removed appendix and that I would need a 2nd surgery to make sure the cancer hadn't spread. Let's just say, I was freaking out. Cancer at my age is so rare. They said I'm the first case in my area in 5 years. So they did a 2nd surgery, to remove 20% of my colon and it has spread. 2 more tumors were in the lymph nodes they took. I have to go in for testing every few months. I did my first round of blood and urine testing this month. They looked clean. I just have to go back in a few months for my 2nd round. I'm very lucky they found it in time.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter