Yes, cycling can help lose belly fat, but it will take time. A recent study showed regular cycling may enhance overall fat loss and promote a healthy weight. To reduce overall belly girth, moderate-intensity aerobic exercises, such as cycling (either indoor or outdoor), are effective to lower belly fat. Along with this, the following benefits of cycling may enhance the spot fat reduction process:
- Overall body weight management: Regular cycling is included in several workout plans because it is a good option to lose overall body weight. It burns calories and affects the basal metabolic rate and muscle mass. Meeting resistance while pushing down or pulling up the pedal will help build muscles.
- Lowers belly fat and increases good fat: A 30-60 minutes of cycling (which is a moderate-intensity aerobic exercise similar to exercises, such as jogging, hiking, and swimming) and a healthy protein-rich diet is an effective way to lower belly fat and increase good fat (high-density lipoprotein) levels. This has been proved to lower many health risks and help in the weight-loss process.
- Lowers insulin resistance: A study (Boutcher) has found that regular cycling may significantly lower insulin resistance. This means regular cycling makes cells in the body absorb the glucose in the blood better. Therefore, people with diabetes may also benefit from cycling.
It is not that difficult to lose fat from the belly through cycling. However, it should be consistent and determined. It may take time, but it is possible with enough effort.
What are the best ways to lose belly fat while cycling?
Tummy muscles do not stretch during cycling as much as they do during other high-intensity exercises. However, cycling is a kind of aerobic exercise that burns fat. Consider the following steps to lose belly fat while cycling:
- Begin with moderate intensity: When you choose cycling to burn your belly fat, start riding at a moderately intensive pace. You need to ride 80% of the time at a moderate intensity and the other 20% of times at moderate to high intensity. With the incorporation of the 80/20 method of high-intensity intermittent exercise, you can effectively burn fat and calories. Over time, as your fitness and endurance increase, you will burn calories and cut belly fat.
- Bicycle type: It does not matter which bicycle you are using for exercising and whether it is indoor or outdoor cycling. Weight loss entirely depends on you and how you are riding the bicycle. However, a road bike, mountain bikes, or hybrid bikes are easy and comfortable for regular exercising.
- Fasted cycling: Cycling with an empty stomach is another method to burn belly fat effectively and faster. You can consider the 8-hour interval between the last meal and the time to start fasted cycling. It can give very impressive results. However, it can be hard to continue and tiring. Therefore, you should avoid practicing fasted cycling daily. You can have a cup of water or coffee before starting if you need to. Carrying some high-energy food and water is a good option for a long ride. Start with low intensity. Your body will burn more fats as fuel since you are fasting and have low glycogen levels. Go steady but stay focused. After cycling for about 2 hours on an empty stomach, you can eat. Avoid starving yourself after cycling.
- Off-bike exercise: You can incorporate different off-bike exercises that may aid in weight loss, such as lying down bicycle, planks, yoga, and Zumba. This will strengthen and benefit your core exercise (cycling). This will also improve your endurance level and strength. By exercising more your fitness level will also increase. This will allow you to do more cycling and you can burn off more belly fat.
- Trips to work: Traveling to work on the bike regularly is a great way to burn calories when you have no time for exercise. It will not show a great difference immediately; however, it may improve your basal metabolic rate (BMR) periodically. This will, in turn, let you lose plenty of hidden body fat.
- Diet: Any workout regime including cycling requires the right diet to provide the best results. Avoid eating foods, such as cheese, sugary foods, foods with high saturated fat, butter. Add more lean proteins (eggs), leafy greens, lean beef, chicken, beans, potatoes, and salmon to your diet.
- Rest: Adequate rest after cycling is essential to losing weight effectively. Many studies state that you may likely to gain excess weight if you are sleep deprived. Therefore, get good rest after a long day of cycling.
Also, never compare your weight loss achievements to others. Even if you do not see quick results, do not get discouraged. Motivate yourself towards your goal every single day; you will achieve your desired weight loss goal.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Bostonbikes.org. Is Cycling Good for Weight Loss on the Stomach? https://www.bostonbikes.org/advice/is-cycling-good-for-weight-loss-on-the-stomach/
Top Can You Lose Belly Fat by Cycling? Related Articles
12 Things That Make You Gain Belly FatHere is a breakdown of the foods and drinks you might not even realize are causing you to gain unwanted belly fat.
25 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)Sugary foods, processed foods, alcohol, stress, smoking, excess carbohydrates and saturated fats all increase belly fat. Exercise, healthy eating, sleep, self-monitoring, portion control, intermittent fasting, high protein, soluble fiber, vitamin D, hydration and eating flavorful food may all help decrease belly fat.
Belly Fat QuizDid you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best thing for your health. Take the Belly Fat Quiz.
Belly Fat Foods QuizIs belly fat deadly? What kinds of foods are good and bad for belly fat? Take this quiz to learn about belly fat, how it can be dangerous, and what you can do about it.
What Are the Causes and Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalances in Women?The main causes of hormonal imbalances are issues with the thyroid, stress, and eating disorders. Some symptoms include irregular periods, low sex-drive, unexplained weight gain, and mood swings. Getting rid of hormonal belly fat involves treating the underlying cause along with diet changes, regular exercise, and stress management.
Common Medical Abbreviations & Terms
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions and information in regard to a patient's health condition, prescription drugs they are to take, or medical procedures that have been ordered. There is no approved this list of common medical abbreviations, acronyms, and terminology used by doctors and other health- care professionals. You can use this list of medical abbreviations and acronyms written by our doctors the next time you can't understand what is on your prescription package, blood test results, or medical procedure orders. Examples include:
- ANED: Alive no evidence of disease. The patient arrived in the ER alive with no evidence of disease.
- ARF: Acute renal (kidney) failure
- cap: Capsule.
- CPAP: Continuous positive airway pressure. A treatment for sleep apnea.
- DJD: Degenerative joint disease. Another term for osteoarthritis.
- DM: Diabetes mellitus. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- HA: Headache
- IBD: Inflammatory bowel disease. A name for two disorders of the gastrointestinal (BI) tract, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- JT: Joint
- N/V: Nausea or vomiting.
- p.o.: By mouth. From the Latin terminology per os.
- q.i.d.: Four times daily. As in taking a medicine four times daily.
- RA: Rheumatoid arthritis
- SOB: Shortness of breath.
- T: Temperature. Temperature is recorded as part of the physical examination. It is one of the "vital signs."
Beat Belly FatCould your job be to blame for your belly fat? It might be, if it stresses you out. But there are a number of ways to get rid of it.
Diet & Weight Loss: Reasons You're Not Losing Belly FatIf you're trying to lose belly fat but can't, there's probably a reason.
Do Ellipticals Help Lose Belly Fat?One can lose belly fat by adhering to a strict diet plan and exercise regimen and by making a few lifestyle modifications. Elliptical trainers can help burn calories, reduce belly fat and tone the body.
garciniaGarcinia is an herbal supplement used for weight loss, to treat joint pain, bloody diarrhea, worm and parasite infections, to increase bowel movements, and to enhance athletic performance. Garcinia may be toxic to the liver; avoid use if you have impaired liver function. Common side effects of garcinia include stomach discomfort, diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth, dizziness, headache, liver injury, liver failure, and exacerbation of mania in bipolar disorder. There isn’t enough information on the safety of garcinia use during pregnancy and breastfeeding; avoid use.
How Can I Reduce My Belly Fat?Reducing belly fat seems to be an arduous task. Poor lifestyle, genetics, hormones, and medications often shows its impact on our weighing scales. There are no spot reduction techniques for losing just the belly fat. However, with these helpful home remedies, slow and steady inch loss is possible.
How Do You Burn Fat Really Fast?Weight gain is a common concern. You can reduce fat by knowing your shape, maintaining a healthy diet, focusing on your carbs intake, and exercising.
phendimetrazinePhendimetrazine is a medication used for short-term treatment of exogenous obesity as part of a weight loss regimen that includes caloric restriction, exercise, and behavioral modification. Do not use phendimetrazine in pregnant or breastfeeding women. Common side effects of phendimetrazine include high blood pressure in the lungs (primary pulmonary hypertension), regurgitant cardiac valvular disease, palpitations, rapid heart rate (tachycardia), reduced blood flow to any of the organs (ischemic events), weakening and thinning of heart muscle (dilated cardiomyopathy), hypertension, flushing, excessive sweating (diaphoresis), dry mouth (xerostomia), nausea, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, urinary frequency, painful urination (dysuria), and others.