Nasolabial folds, also called smile lines, are deep wrinkles that appear on the side of the nose and extend to the corner of the mouth. Everyone has nasolabial folds, but they may be more visible in some.
Fillers are the quickest way to get rid of them, although a combination of treatments may achieve a more aesthetically pleasing result. However, you cannot permanently get rid of prominent nasolabial folds because they are an inevitable part of the aging process. Thus, repeat procedures are often required.
10 ways to get rid of nasolabial folds
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers are used as the first-line treatment for nasolabial folds. Dermal fillers help lift the skin and add volume to the area. The most commonly used fillers are calcium hydroxylapatite and hyaluronic acid. Both have been shown to promote collagen growth and plump the skin. There are a few side effects, however, such as minor bruising.
- Microneedle fractional radiofrequency system treatment: This is the most effective technology for skin rejuvenation and tightening approved by the FDA. It employs minimally invasive microneedles to deliver controlled radiofrequency energy directly into the skin's multiple layers. This heats the tissue and stimulates new collagen production, which promotes skin modeling and helps remove nasolabial folds.
- Dermapen: Dermapen is a minimally invasive microneedle treatment that helps create deep microchannels in the skin's dermis to stimulate natural collagen production. Minor needle pricks may be felt, but there are very few side effects. It softens fine lines and wrinkles and tightens the skin, which reduces the appearance of nasolabial folds.
- High-intensity focused ultrasound: Heat energy is delivered to the skin and subcutaneous tissue to stimulate collagen production, improve skin texture, and reduce sagging. This treatment can help achieve a visible facelift without the use of invasive surgery or injections. It is recommended for almost all skin types because the results are long-lasting.
- Radiofrequency: A handheld device is used to heat the skin with radiofrequency energy to create a tightening effect. You may feel some heat during the hour-long procedure, and you may need 2-6 sessions to achieve the desired results. Studies have shown that radiofrequency is an effective treatment for middle and lower face laxity.
- Chemical peels: To improve the appearance of the skin, a light or medium chemical peel can be used to exfoliate the outer skin layers. This promotes skin tightening by increasing collagen production and cell turnover, resulting in brighter, smoother skin. Popular chemical peels include black, yellow, glycolic, and azelaic peels.
- Thread lifts: Temporary sutures are used to suspend some of the facial skin instead of removing the excess tissue that causes the folds. This can tighten the skin and significantly reduce the appearance of skin folds. The procedure also stimulates collagen production.
- Laser skin resurfacing: This treatment removes the skin's top layer and corrects minor flaws and blemishes. It is a safe and precise technique to stimulate collagen production and the growth of new skin cells.
- Surgical removal: A full-face or cheek lift can help reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds. However, this is usually not recommended because surgical procedures may cause complications and the recovery period is lengthy.
- Lifestyle habits: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, sunscreen should be used daily, and the skin should be moisturized to reduce folds and improve overall skin quality. For better results, consider using retinol products. Sleeping on your back, getting enough rest, and eating a healthy diet are also important for skin repair.
What causes nasolabial folds?
Nasolabial folds may appear mild at first, but they frequently deepen when you smile or laugh. A variety of factors contribute to the appearance of nasolabial folds, including:
Can facial exercises help with nasolabial folds?
There has been no credible research to support the use of facial exercises to improve the appearance of nasolabial folds. However, in theory, they may help keep facial muscles toned and the skin tight as people age.
The idea is that, like other muscles, the facial muscles respond to physical exertion. Working out facial muscles will help keep the face structurally sound. Some of the movements recommended are as follows:
- Pout your lips for 20 seconds and repeat 4 times.
- Pushing your lips upward, hold for 20 seconds and repeat 4 times.
- Stretch the corners of your mouth outward for 20 seconds and repeat 4 times.
Latest Health and Living News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Jackson-Cannady A. Erase Lines around Your Mouth. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/erasing-lines-around-your-mouth
El-Mesidy MS, Alaklouk WT, Azzam OA. Nasolabial fold correction through cheek volume loss restoration versus thread lifting: a comparative study. Arch Dermatol Res. 2020 Sep;312(7):473-480. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31898756/
Mark G, Rubin MD. Treatment of Nasolabial Folds with Fillers. Aesthet Surg J. 2004;24(5): 489-493. https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/24/5/489/251607
Laquis SJ. How Do Nasolabial Folds Form and How Can I Reduce Their Appearance? https://www.laquis.net/general/how-do-nasolabial-folds-form-and-how-can-i-reduce-their-appearance/
Top Can You Get Rid of Nasolabial Folds Related Articles
Are Collagen Fillers Safe?Collagen is a natural body protein responsible for maintaining skin elasticity and firmness. After a particular age, the body stops producing collagen, and this makes you prone to the signs of aging like wrinkles and facial sagging.
Collagen and Injectable FillersCollagen injections and other injectable fillers give your skin a plumper, smoother appearance. Both are administered under local anesthesia. Bruising, puffiness, redness, and tenderness are common side effects.
How Do I Get Rid of Deep Wrinkles Around My Mouth Naturally?Deep wrinkles near the mouth (also known as perioral wrinkles) appear when ligaments around the mouth and chin loosen. Get rid of deep wrinkles around your mouth by eating an antioxidant-rich diet, adopting healthy lifestyle habits and using good skincare products.
How Can I Hide My Wrinkles?There are numerous options for reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Some methods are as easy as applying the right skin cream. Other tactics involve surgery and significant recovery time.
How Can I Remove Wrinkles From My Face?Did you recently notice some fine lines on your face? Are you worried about aging faster than usual? These fine lines or wrinkles occur mainly on the parts of the body, which gets the most sun exposure like the face, neck, the back of the hands, and the tops of the forearm. If the fine lines bother you, then there are measures to even out the lines.
How Do You Inject Facial Fillers?Facial fillers are either natural or synthetic substances that may be injected below the skin to eliminate the fine lines and wrinkles and restore lost volume. Facial fillers have seen tremendous development in the past decade.
See How Your Life Affects Your SkinSee how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry skin and wrinkles and to keep your skin healthy with these helpful beauty tips.
Sun-Damaged SkinSee how sun damaged skin can cause wrinkles, moles, melanoma (skin cancer) and more. Explore images of squamous cell carcinoma and the early signs of skin cancer.
What You Should Know Before Getting Facial FillersFacial fillers can help with wrinkles and other skin issues. Here’s what to expect when you inject.
WrinklesWrinkles, whether they be fine line or deep furrows, typically appear on areas of the body that receive a high amount of exposure to the sun. Smoking, light skin type, hairstyle, the way you dress, your occupational and recreational habits, and heredity are all factors that promote wrinkling. Medical treatments for wrinkles include antioxidants, moisturizers, alpha-hydroxy acids, and vitamin A acid. Cosmetic procedures that treat wrinkles include dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, glycolic acid peels, laser resurfacing, Botox, and fillers.
Wrinkles PictureWrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. See a picture of Wrinkles and learn more about the health topic.
How to Reduce Wrinkles with Lifestyle ChangesIf you want to reduce wrinkles under eyes, around eyes, on forehead, on hands and on your face, try these lifestyle changes. Antiaging tricks such as sleep position, diet, and wrinkle treatments. Simple lifestyle changes can reduce wrinkles around the eyes, on the forehead, and around the mouth.