The shape of the face is the result of bone structure and genetics. Both are hard to change. However, rest assured, there are ways to alter the face a little, sharpen those features and look glamorous. A few common ways are:
- Working out and diet control: If a person is overweight or obese, the contours of their face are often hidden by the fat. When a person gradually works toward reducing the excess fat via aerobic exercises and workouts, their face will become narrower and leaner.
- Facial exercises: It may take months or years to make the face leaner using facial exercises, but studies proved their effectiveness.
- A hairstyle that suits the face shape may also give an illusion that the shape of the face is changed. For example, fringes may make the forehead look small, or a layered haircut may make the chin softer.
- Contouring for women and men. Various contouring techniques help accentuate the cheekbones, the nose bridge and slim the chin.
- Beard shadows for men may also give an impression of a different facial shape.
Cosmetic surgery remains the last resort if a person desires a long-lasting change in the shape of the face. The cosmetic procedures outpatient procedures (such as injecting fillers) or invasive procedures (such as jawline or cheekbone surgery).
- Liquid fillers, such as silicon or hyaluronic fillers, are injected to sharpen the bridge of the nose and firm the jawline. They add projection to the cheekbones, fill the under-eye hollows and pad the temples.
- Botox has become increasingly popular in recent years. It can change someone’s face. With the right cosmetic surgeon administering Botox, youthful changes to the jawline, mouth, cheeks, nose and overall face shape are possible.
- Facial implants can provide more durable volume to the cheekbones, chin, lips and jaw.
- Rhinoplasty (nose operation) breaks the nose, reduces the bone and cartilage and resculpts it.
- Orthodontics and veneers can alter a person’s bite, which can change the facial symmetry and profile.
- Facelifts can pull loose skin taut. They make the bone structure more evident and remove jowls. They can raise the brow and make the eyes appear wider.
- A few other plastic surgical procedures can break and reconstruct the bones in the face.
What is mewing?
Mewing is a range of facial exercises that promises aesthetic and structural improvements to one’s face. It involves changing and guiding the growth of the face shape with correct oral posture and a few behavioral changes. It claims that something as simple as where the tongue rested or how often the mouth is open can impact how a person looks over time. Those who have tried mewing believe that it can remedy both aesthetic and oral flaws. While mewing is a tactic best learned at a young age when bones are more malleable and it is easier to develop new behaviors, anyone can pick it up anytime and reportedly, see an impact. If a person can alter the posture, particularly when young, they will find that they can get quite a change in the structure, growth and shape of both upper and lower jaws and most of the tissues around them. There are three keys to mewing are
- Keep the lips together
- Keep the teeth together
- Keep the tongue on the roof of the mouth
Combined, these three behaviors claim to prevent the face from sagging and encourage the facial structure to grow outward. It is also recommended to sleep with the lips closed and eat hard foods that involve a lot of chewing. This helps define and exercise the jawline. However, these claims are not backed by scientific studies. Many oral issues require extensive treatments in addition to mewing. Braces and other orthodontics might still be needed to align the jaw and straighten teeth.
WebMD. What Is Mewing? https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/what-is-mewing
Top Can You Change the Shape of Your Face? Related Articles
Plastic Surgery PicsThinking about getting plastic surgery? Check out before and after pictures of popular plastic surgery procedures, including: liposuction, tummy tuck, breast implants, rhinoplasty (nose job), neck lift, and more.
Nip and Tuck: Plastic Surgery for MenFrom liposuction to facelifts, more men are having procedures to look better. WebMD shows you the more popular plastic surgery choices many make, including hair transplants and microdermabrasion.
What Is Botox Used For?Botox is a drug made from botulinum toxin, which is a neurotoxin that blocks the signaling processes between the nerves. This disturbs the muscle movements, especially muscle contraction that the concerned nerve controls. Extremely small doses of botulinum toxin are used in Botox injections, making Botox a safe drug.