- The only evidence is that it can protect from the damaging effects of the sun and reduce depigmentation in melasma.
- However, a significant reduction in the dark spots of melasma has been observed when vitamin E is used in combination with vitamin C.
Vitamin E oil can help reduce the signs of aging by acting as an antioxidant.
- Antioxidants are substances that fight off the effects of free radicals that can be emitted from the sun, pollution, cigarette smoke, amongst many other sources.
- These free radicals are formed in the body as the result of metabolism (cellular processes) and have damaging effects on collagen and glycosaminoglycans.
- These two substances play a key role in keeping the skin moisturized, smooth, and firm.
How to apply vitamin E oil to your face
If you want to apply pure vitamin E to your face, it is recommended to conduct a patch test first (see the following steps):
- Apply a pea-sized amount to the back of your elbow.
- Wait for 24 hours at least to see if it causes any skin reaction, such as redness, itchiness, or dryness.
- If there is no skin reaction, you can apply it to your face.
If you are using pure vitamin E oil, here are the steps you should follow:
- Wash your face with a cleanser, based on your skin type, and pat your skin dry gently with a towel.
- Apply a hot or warm towel on your skin and keep it there for two to three minutes.
- This helps open the pore and enhances the absorption of vitamin E oil.
- Take a pea-sized vitamin E oil and apply gently all over your face or on the problematic areas of your skin.
- If you have dry skin, apply it at bedtime and leave it overnight.
- If you have oily skin, especially acne-prone, do not leave vitamin e overnight.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Use a cotton cloth or towel on your pillow as vitamin E oil can stain your pillow.
What causes dark spots?
Dark spots occur on the skin when there is an overproduction or collection of melanin, which is a skin pigment that gives the skin its dark color and is responsible for the variation in skin colors amongst individuals. Melanin clusters may form where there is inflammation in the skin.
People with light skin and hair and who have had frequent sunburns are at a greater risk of developing dark spots.
Common causes of dark spots include:
- Sun exposure (common in middle age)
- Certain medications, including:
- Heavy metals
- Skin conditions, such as:
Less common causes of dark spots include conditions, such as:
What are the available treatments for dark spots?
Vitamin E oil may not work for all dark spots. Hence, instead of relying on it for your skin problems, it is recommended to consult a skin specialist who will look at your skin and diagnose the cause of your dark spots. They will decide the most appropriate treatment based on the cause and your skin type.
It is possible to fade the dark spots or remove them completely with treatments that include:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) products
- Prescription drugs
- Cosmetic procedures
Some OTC products can fade dark spots, but do not expect them to eliminate dark spots.
The effective ingredients in these OTC products may include one or more of the following:
- Retinoids (such as retinol)
- Alpha hydroxy acid
- Glycolic acid
- Kojic acid
Hydroquinone is the principal ingredient in prescription skin-lightening creams.
- This needs application over several months to diminish the appearance of dark spots.
- The medication works by inhibiting the production of melanin.
- Laser treatment: This involves focusing light energy of a particular wavelength to burn the dark spots by removing the layers of the skin.
- Chemical peels: Applying any of the solutions that contain salicylic, glycolic, lactic, or trichloroacetic acid (TCA) for one or two minutes. The procedure removes the dark spots by peeling the upper layers of the skin and helps improve the skin tone.
- Microdermabrasion: This can be chemical-based or physical. Chemicals involve spraying crystals over dark spots. Physical dermabrasion involves gently moving the wand that contains fine microneedles over the dark spots.
- Cryosurgery: Cryosurgery involves passing liquid nitrogen solution on the skin to freeze the dark spots. The skin then peels off.
IMAGESBrowse our medical image collection of allergic skin disorders such as psoriasis and dermatitis and more caused by allergies See Images
Keen MA, Hassan I. Vitamin E in dermatology. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2016;7(4):311-315.
Pandel R, Poljšak B, Godic A, Dahmane R. Skin photoaging and the role of antioxidants in its prevention. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2013;2013.
Desai SR. Hyperpigmentation therapy: a review. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2014;7(8):13-17.
Top Can Vitamin E Oil Remove Dark Spots Related Articles
Your Guide to Anti-Aging Skin Care EssentialsSome of the most important tricks in the fight against aging come down to the basics. Learn how washing and moisturizing your skin and other skin care can help you age more gracefully.
Baby Skin Care: Tips to Keep Newborn’s Skin HealthyBaby skin care products can help with peeling, rashes, baby acne, and dryness that can develop on a newborn baby's skin. Develop a baby skin care routine to pamper your baby’s skin.
How Do You Get Rid of Dark Spots on Your Face Overnight?Dark spots over the face can be due to conditions like acne, boils, chickenpox, excessive exposure to harsh sun, allergy to certain facial products, or injuries. These spots can be a reason for significant distress due to social pressure for clear and radiant skin.
How Can I Make My Face Glow Naturally? 15 Skincare TipsEach of us secretly desires a glowing face. It is not surprising that the market is flooded with cosmetics claiming to make your skin glow. Healthy and glowing skin is not an overnight effect but a result of daily persistent efforts.
How Can I Remove Dark Spots at Home Naturally?Melanin is the skin pigment made by cells (melanocytes) present in the skin. It is responsible for the skin color, which may vary with several factors like race and genetics. Skin pigmentation disorders and exposure to the sun can cause changes in skin color and dark spots. Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of the skin.
How Do You Get Rid of Dark Spots on Your Face Fast?Getting rid of dark spots may take time; particularly if the spot is a few shades darker than your skin color, it would take six to 12 months to fade. If the spot lies deep in your skin, fading may take years. Dark spots are caused due to excess production of melanin (the dark-colored pigment present in the skin).
19 Key Vitamins and MineralsMinerals and vitamins are key nutrients your body needs to thrive. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, niacin, and riboflavin are just a few of these nutrients. Some vitamins act as antioxidants. Minerals serve many vital roles.
Skin RashThe word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different skin conditions. The most common of these are scaly patches of skin and red, itchy bumps or patches all over the place.
Vitamins and Calcium SupplementsVitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral essential for healthy bones and is also important for muscle contraction, heart action, and normal blood clotting. Check out the center below for more medical references on vitamins and calcium supplements, including multimedia (slideshows, images, and quizzes), related disease conditions, treatment and diagnosis, medications, and prevention or wellness.
Vitamins QuizTake the Vitamins & Supplements Quiz to learn just how many essential vitamins your body needs to function!
Vitamins and Supplements: What Can You Take to Fight Inflammation?Arthritis, intense exercise, and sugary or fatty foods are some of the things that can lead to inflammation. Here’s what you can take or add to your diet to help fight it.
What Are the Most Important Steps of Skin Care?The most important steps of skincare include creating a healthy lifestyle, minimizing skin damage, and following a proper skincare routine.
What Is the Best Vitamin Supplement to Take?Dietary supplements are a general term that includes vitamins, minerals, botanicals, probiotics and other products to supplement the diet. The best vitamin supplement differs from person to person depending on their gender, age and any health conditions they have.
What Skin Care Is Good for Rosacea?Rosacea can't be cured. Some skin care tips like identifying the triggers, avoiding harsh treatments, and using a rosacea-friendly moisturizer can help you control and decrease rosacea flare-ups.
What Vitamins and Supplements Should Not Be Taken Together?Some vitamins that should not be taken together, or have dosage limitations, include vitamin C with vitamin B-12, vitamin A supplement with vitamin A-rich foods, folic acid (vitamin B9) and vitamin B12, and vitamin E with vitamin K.