The American Academy of Dermatology does not recommend using toothpaste on pimples because it can damage the biological barrier of the skin. Though it may be effective in the short term, the use of toothpaste may result in skin damage in the long run.
Toothpaste can cause pimples to dry out because it contains:
- Calcium carbonate
- Calcium carbonate helps dry out pimples by absorbing excess oil on the pimples.
- This causes them to shrink, diminish, and, eventually, disappear, as well as unclogs pores and helps the skin return to its normal state.
- Pimples dry up and shrivel over time, forming dead skin tissues that gradually defoliate and the pimple disappears.
- A vital yet common ingredient with many advantages, such as being highly effective at killing germs.
- It may, however, cause pigmentation in people with sensitive skin.
- Pimples become more painful and swollen because of the bacteria in them.
- Toothpaste contains trace amounts of methanol, which help cool and provide relief from swollen pimples and other blemishes.
- Methanol has been shown in studies to reduce swelling and improve cold-receptor activity.
- Soothes Inflammation
- Heals damaged skin
- Speeds up healing of the damaged skin
- Baking soda
- Toothpaste contains baking soda, which has cleansing and absorbent properties that help draw dirt and impurities from the pores.
- In this manner, it destroys the pimples and prevents the formation of new pimples.
While other ingredients in toothpaste, such as hydrogen peroxide and essential oils, may help shrink the pimple, this home remedy for breakouts is not worth the risk. It may irritate and damage the skin as a side effect.
Toothpaste as a home remedy is in no way superior to over-the-counter medications, such as:
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Salicylic acid
Natural at-home remedies associated with clearing up acne when applied topically include:
- Tea tree oil
- Pure aloe
- Fresh mint
- Citrus fruits
- Apple cider vinegar
How can I cure my acne or pimple problems?
Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are two well-known over-the-counter acne treatments. They can provide clearer skin when used together consistently.
A diet rich in antioxidants, complex carbs, and polyphenols helps maintain healthy skin.
- Salicylic acid
- This ingredient is known to aid in the removal of dead skin cells from the skin's surface (which can contribute to clogged pores).
- Salicylic acid can be found in a variety of skincare products, including cleansers, scrubs, creams, and cleansing wipes.
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Benzoyl peroxide helps kill the bacteria that can cause acne.
- Benzoyl peroxide is commonly found in a variety of products, such as face washes, creams, gels, and premoistened clothes.
Acne is a skin condition that can affect any skin type, so how a person with dry skin treats their acne will differ from how someone with very oily skin treats their acne. It is critical to consider a person's skin type and the condition of their skin to begin with. This will result in a better outcome.
Other best acne ingredients to consider when choosing skincare products are:
- Alpha hydroxy acid (AHA)
- Acne may be prevented by keeping pores clear and associated hyperpigmentation treated by removing dead skin cells.
- Typically found in cleansers, toners, and serums.
- Beta hydroxy acid (BHA)
- Usually used in cleansers and toners.
- Can reduce acne by reducing oil and inflammation.
- Vitamin C
- Usually used in serums.
- Can manage inflammation and pigmentation.
- Can regulate oil production and reduce acne-related inflammation and redness and the appearance of pores.
- Usually used in serums and lotions.
- May treat inflammatory acne and hyperpigmentation and improve texture.
- Avoid mixing with AHA, BHA, or benzoyl peroxide.
- Commonly used in serums and moisturizers.
- May treat whiteheads and blackheads, which can prevent acne from forming.
- Used in spot treatments and cleansers.
- Soothes inflammatory acne and suppresses sebum production.
- Used in lotions and spot treatments.
6 ways to get rid of severe acne scars
The most effective treatments to get rid of severe acne scars are:
- Chemical peeling
- They use strong chemicals (acids) to remove the outer layer of skin and reduce the appearance of scars.
- Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) and glycolic acid are involved.
- Botox injections
- Acne scars with puckered skin around them respond well to these treatments.
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) injections can improve the appearance of the skin by relaxing this puckered area.
- Punch excision
- This procedure entails surgically removing an acne scar with a punch that is the same size as the scar.
- A rapidly rotating wire brush or wheel with a rough surface is used to remove the damaged top layer of skin during the procedure.
- To reduce the appearance of deeper scars, the procedure exfoliates the top layer of the skin deeply.
- It punctures the skin on the scars' surface with a small, handheld pen or a needle-studded roller.
- As the punctured skin heals, it produces collagen, which smoothens out the skin and reduces the visibility of acne scars.
- Laser resurfacing
- To reduce the appearance of scars, the procedure involves removing the top layer of skin to reveal the underlying younger skin cells.
- It makes the skin's surface more even.
Discuss with a dermatologist the best-suited treatment for acne scars.
Latest Skin News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Cleveland Clinic. A Dermatologist’s Advice on How to Get Rid of a Pimple — Stat! https://health.clevelandclinic.org/a-dermatologists-advice-on-how-to-get-rid-of-a-pimple/
Gozali MV, Zhou B. Effective treatments of atrophic acne scars. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2015;8(5):33-40. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445894/
Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital. Does Putting Toothpaste on a Pimple Make It Go Away? https://www.hopkinsallchildrens.org/patients-families/health-library/healthdocnew/does-putting-toothpaste-on-a-pimple-make-it-go-awa?id=0
Titus S, Hodge J. Diagnosis and Treatment of Acne. Am Fam Physician. 2012 Oct 15;86(8):734-740. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/1015/p734.html
Top Can Toothpaste Get Rid of Pimples Overnight Related Articles
Acne (Pimples)Acne is a localized skin inflammation as a result of overactivity of oil glands at the base of hair follicles. This inflammation, depending on its location, can take the form of a superficial pustule (contains pus), a pimple, a deeper cyst, congested pores, whiteheads, or blackheads. Treatments vary depending on the severity of the acne.
Acne PictureExactly what causes acne? Acne develops when cells and natural oils begin to block up tiny hair follicles in the skin. See a picture of Acne and learn more about the health topic.
Acne QuizAcne is the most common skin disorder in the world. If you suffer from acne, you are not alone and many treatment options are available. Learn more about pimples, blackheads, and comedones with the Acne Quiz.
How to Get Rid of AcneWhat is the best treatment for acne vulgaris? Can food choices influence acne? How can you get rid of blackheads? Learn why it's a bad idea to pop pimples, how pimples form on the face, arms, chest, back, and legs, and what to do with painful cysts, ice pick scars, and acne mechanica.
Dealing with Adult AcneAdult acne causes include hormones, medications, makeup, and other things. Adult acne is treated with medications, products, face washes, and home remedies. Use a skin care regimen provided by your dermatologist to treat adult acne.
Cystic AcneCystic acne is distinguised by painful nodules on the chest, face, neck, and back. This form of acne is known to scar. Treatment may incorporate the use of hormonal therapies, oral antibiotics, and prescription medications.
How Do I Get Rid of Hormonal Acne?Hormonal acne can be frustrating to deal with, but it’s usually treatable. Learn how to get rid of hormonal acne with these treatment options.
How Do You Get Rid of Acne Scars Naturally?Approximately 80% of people between the ages of 11 and 30 years old have acne due to hormonal changes, stress, menses, oil-based cosmetics or birth control pills. A variety of remedies including tea tree oil, coconut oil, honey and other substances may help get rid of acne scars naturally. The dermatologist has prescription treatments and procedures to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
How Do You Get Rid of Acne Scars Overnight?Acne breakouts are common and quite frustrating. Strategies to get rid of acne will take time to work, so you must be regular and diligent in their application. Aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, cocoa butter, honey and cinnamon, green tea, tea tree oil and other substances improve skin's appearance.
How Do You Treat Cystic Acne?Whether you get occasional whiteheads or persistent pimples, acne can be painful and frustrating. Luckily, most acne breakouts will clear up on their own. Cystic acne is different. Learn what medical treatments can help ease your cystic acne symptoms and speed up your recovery.
How Does Stress Cause Acne?Excessive amounts of sudden and prolonged stress may cause changes in the brain and body chemistry. Stress increases the risk of acne by drying out the skin, ramping up oil production and increasing levels of stress hormones which ages the skin.
Natural Remedies for Acne ScarsWhat are acne scars? Learn how to treat acne scars and get rid of acne scars naturally.
Acne and FoodHow can you get rid of acne breakouts with nutrition? Does this food cause acne? Milk, chocolate, and seaweed are all considered by some to promote acne. Find healthy foods that promote acne treatment. What can diet changes do to improve acne care?
Skin QuizWhat's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!
Skin Health: How to Get Clear SkinAcne, pimples, zits and blemishes often appear on the face, back, chest, neck, and shoulders where skin has the most amount of oil glands. Few of us are immune to breakouts, but treatments can minimize outbreaks. Follow these 15 tips for a clear complexion and skin.
What Is Best for Acne Treatment?The best treatment depends upon the cause of acne and associated factors, such as your age and severity of acne. The treatment options for acne include Lifestyle management, topical (externally applied) antibiotic medications, topical retinoids, oral medications, light treatments, chemical peels, and topical tea tree oil.
What Is Considered Severe Acne?Severe acne causes breakouts that often extend deep into the skin. In severe acne, a single pimple or cyst can stay on the skin for weeks or months at a time. Grade III acne is considered severe acne.