Medifast claims that it helps to lose 2 to 5 pounds each week. People on this diet are given five prepackaged Medifast meal replacements that should be eaten five times a day for losing weight.
Medifast replacement meals are low in:
- Glycemic index
Besides, Medifast meals are nutrient-rich and fortified with vitamins and minerals that help in losing weight without losing nutrients. It directs the body to use its fat stores as fuel. The protein and carbohydrates in the food help to retain muscle mass while losing fat.
What is a Medifast diet?
Medifast is a commercial weight-loss plan based on meal replacement. The major advantages of Medifast are:
- It is satisfying as you need to have a meal every 2 to 3 hours every day, which keeps you satiated.
- It is comparatively safe and is recommended by most physicians.
- It is a long-term weight loss program.
- It is less complex compared to other weight loss programs.
Medifast plan consists of
- A five and one plan, where you are given five replacement meals and you can choose one regular meal for weight loss.
- A three and three plan, where you are given three regular meals and three replacement meals for 6 weeks.
How does a Medifast diet work?
The first step is to pick your program, which includes:
- Women who are nursing
- People with diabetes
- People with a gluten allergy
- People with gout
- People taking blood thinners
Then you pick a support system
- Online support group
- Online health coach
- A physician
- Coach in the Medifast center
Next, place an order for the replacement meal
There are three phases in this diet plan that includes:
- Weight loss phase: In this phase, you eat six meals a day (five replacement meals and one regular meal), until you reach your desired weight.
- Transition phase: Once the weight loss phase is successful, the transition phase starts. Foods that were avoided in the previous phase, such as fruits, starches, and dairy, are introduced in this phase. The period of this phase depends on the weight lost during the previous phase.
- Maintenance phase: In this phase, you eat healthy, balanced food with some Medifast meals.
The meal plan limits your calorie intake to about 800-1000 calories per day.
What to avoid and eat in a Medifast diet plan?
Medifast involves more than 70 replacement meals given over a fixed amount of time. The meal provided to you each day includes:
- 5 to 7 ounces of lean protein
- 3 servings of vegetables
- 2 servings of healthy fats
Besides, you can also consume:
- One snack
Alcohol is off-limits in this diet.
What are the concerns with a Medifast diet?
Medifast may cause the following concerns in some because it is extremely low in calories:
- Increased sensitivity to cold
- Dry skin or hair
Before attempting any diet plan, consult your physician or registered dietitian about the safety and effectiveness of the diet plans.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Can Medifast Really Help You Lose Weight? Related Articles
Common Medical Abbreviations & Terms
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions and information in regard to a patient's health condition, prescription drugs they are to take, or medical procedures that have been ordered. There is no approved this list of common medical abbreviations, acronyms, and terminology used by doctors and other health- care professionals. You can use this list of medical abbreviations and acronyms written by our doctors the next time you can't understand what is on your prescription package, blood test results, or medical procedure orders. Examples include:
- ANED: Alive no evidence of disease. The patient arrived in the ER alive with no evidence of disease.
- ARF: Acute renal (kidney) failure
- cap: Capsule.
- CPAP: Continuous positive airway pressure. A treatment for sleep apnea.
- DJD: Degenerative joint disease. Another term for osteoarthritis.
- DM: Diabetes mellitus. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- HA: Headache
- IBD: Inflammatory bowel disease. A name for two disorders of the gastrointestinal (BI) tract, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- JT: Joint
- N/V: Nausea or vomiting.
- p.o.: By mouth. From the Latin terminology per os.
- q.i.d.: Four times daily. As in taking a medicine four times daily.
- RA: Rheumatoid arthritis
- SOB: Shortness of breath.
- T: Temperature. Temperature is recorded as part of the physical examination. It is one of the "vital signs."
Diabetic DietA diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may also help stabilize blood glucose levels. Keeping track of when you take your diabetic medicine, keeping track of food choices, eating the proper amount of fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates, and fats will also help maintain proper blood glucose levels.
Type 2 Diabetes Diet PlanA type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to prevent complications of diabetes. There are a variety of type 2 diabetes diet eating plans such as the Mediterranean diet, Paleo diet, ADA Diabetes Diet, and vegetarian diets.Learn about low and high glycemic index foods, what foods to eat, and what foods to avoid if you have type 2 diabetes.
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
Stress-Reducing FoodsWhile there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part of a stress management diet.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
garciniaGarcinia is an herbal supplement used for weight loss, to treat joint pain, bloody diarrhea, worm and parasite infections, to increase bowel movements, and to enhance athletic performance. Garcinia may be toxic to the liver; avoid use if you have impaired liver function. Common side effects of garcinia include stomach discomfort, diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth, dizziness, headache, liver injury, liver failure, and exacerbation of mania in bipolar disorder. There isn’t enough information on the safety of garcinia use during pregnancy and breastfeeding; avoid use.
guaranaGuarana seeds, dried and powdered, are used as a dietary supplement for weight loss, to enhance athletic performance, as a stimulant similar to coffee, and for many other purposes. Guarana is available over the counter (OTC) as a powder, tablet, or capsule. Common side effects of guarana include headache, agitation, anxiety, irritability, restlessness, nervousness, insomnia, delirium, dizziness, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), muscle spasms, convulsions, increased respiration, irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), rapid heart rate (tachycardia), high blood pressure (hypertension), high blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia), and others. Do not take if pregnant or breastfeeding.
Lower Cholesterol Levels with Diet and MedicationsHigh-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol is considered "good" cholesterol because it actually works to keep the LDL or "bad" cholesterol from building up in your arteries. Foods like extra lean meats, skim milk, and vegetable-based "butter-like" substitutes may help decrease LDL levels in the bloodstream.
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)When a woman is pregnant, she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy baby. A healthy pregnancy diet menu plan should consist of lots of fruits, vegetables, lean meats (unless you are vegan or vegetarian), and dairy. Examples of healthy pregnancy diet meal plans include holistic pregnancy diet, vegan or vegetarian diet, and low-carb diets. Begin your healthy eating plan around three months before you begin trying to conceive, and follow the same eating plan until after you have stopped breastfeeding. If you are overweight or obese, being pregnant is not the right time to try to lose weight. Discuss your options with your health care professional.
Sugar QuizSugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know about sugar and artificial sweeteners!
The 10 Best Diet Plans For Weight LossDiet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.