Italian food is undeniably one of the most delicious cuisines. Although Italy is known for its pizza and pasta, it is the healthiest country in the world because of its food. Meals are both healthy and delicious, and you can still lose weight following an Italian diet.
Healthy fats, fresh veggies, and, yes, wonderful pasta all contribute to the country's low obesity rates. There are various compelling reasons to adopt healthy Italian-eating practices as your own.
How to keep Italian food healthy
Authentic Italian cuisine may be highly healthful because it typically includes various healthy staples in cooking, which include:
- Crisp salads
- Citrus fruits
- Olive oil
- Fresh seafood
- Chicken breasts
Of course, the above dishes can be made unhealthy by adding creamy sauces, cheeses, and cured meats.
4 tips on how Italians eat good food and maintain a healthy weight
Italians have a healthy lifestyle that is easier to sustain and adapt to. If you chose to lose weight with Italian diets, you are recommended not to go back to your previous diets but make sustainable modifications for the rest of your life.
Here are a few tips on how Italians maintain a healthy weight while having enjoyable meals:
- Fresh food: The use of highly fresh ingredients is an essential component of Italian cuisine. In Italy, it is fairly normal to go to a local shop regularly to get fresh ingredients for a meal. Growing your veggies and herbs is also common. This means you have immediate access to the freshest herbs during cooking, which significantly improves the dish's quality and flavor.
- Portion control: Eating small meals keeps you active and boosts your metabolism. Having heavy meals stretches your stomach, making it harder for you to move freely. Italians focus on food varieties that are nutritious and filling and don’t make you feel bulky at the same time. They incorporate fresh vegetables, healthy fats, and nuts into their meals. They eat plenty of food varieties so that their body is provided with all the essential nutrients to keep it healthy.
- Healthy snacking: Typically, Italians do not consume unhealthy snacks. Fruits, nuts, seeds, and other healthful snacks are commonly consumed. Of course, they enjoy chocolate on occasion but not regularly or in large quantities.
- Exercise: Exercise is a great way to ensure overall health and healthy weight loss. Exercise will make you fit and healthy. Following regular exercise along with a healthy diet makes you feel good and even improves your heart health.
8 tips for maximizing the healthy aspects of Italian food
Here are eight tactics for maximizing the healthful aspects of Italian food culture:
- Add a salad: Salad is commonly served with both lunch and dinner in Italy. This double portion of veggies is a quick and easy method to complete your daily vegetable requirements.
- Simple cooking: Simplicity and preparing from scratch, such as handmade pasta, are key elements of Italian food. The majority of real recipes call for no more than five or six minimally processed, seasonally appropriate ingredients. Using seasonal ingredients will enhance the flavor and nutrition of your dishes while keeping them as inexpensive as possible.
- Avoid bread: A basket of garlic bread and breadsticks on the table might cause you to consume more calories than you think at dinner. You should skip bringing a basket of bread to your table.
- Include more fruits: Seasonal fruits are always the dessert of choice in Italy. Desserts made with cream or cheese, such as tiramisu or panna cotta, are high in calories, sugar, and fat. Save them for special occasions, and order or serve a single serving to share with your dinner guests.
- Fresh fish is the best: Because Italy is a Mediterranean peninsula, seafood is an integral part of the cuisine. Include omega-3-rich seafood in your diet two or three times each week. Italians eat all types of seafood. Anchovies, tuna, sardines, and salmon can be used with stews, pasta, pizzas, and risotto.
- Pasta is not unhealthy: Just keep in mind the quantity, types of sauces, and additional cheese. When making pasta at home, choose whole-grain pasta, measure the amount (approximately three ounces per person), and add lots of veggies, particularly Italian favorites such as artichoke, eggplant, and broccoli. Choose tomato-based red sauces rather than cream-based sauces.
- Limit cheese intake: Cheese, a traditional Italian ingredient, may be healthy in moderation. It is recommended to choose pureed cashews, butternut squash, carrots, or white beans in sauces instead of cheese. Additionally, you may top foods with nutritional yeast, which is high in vitamin B12 and has a cheesy flavor.
- Enjoy your meal: No Italian would consider watching TV during a meal. Instead, every meal is a festival in which all components of the food are embraced, including lively conversations. Sharing meals encourages good eating habits and allows parents to educate children on how to enjoy a range of healthful foods.
- What Is Avascular Necrosis and How Does It Affect Bones?
- The Arch of the Human Foot Was Key to Upright Walking, Scientists Say
- Worried About Cataracts? Here's What You Need to Know
- FDA Issues Warning About Compounded Versions of Wegovy, Ozempic
- Sick Restaurant Workers Fuel Many Foodborne Illness Outbreaks
- More Health News »
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Italian Diet Secrets: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/italian-diet-secrets
How to make healthier Italian food: https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/how-to-make-healthier-italian-food
Top Can I Eat Italian Food and Lose Weight Related Articles
Diet and Nutrition: Fatty Fish That Are High in Omega-3sYou may know that omega-3s are good fats that you get from seafood. But not all fish are equal. The fatty ones are best. WebMD's slideshow shows you the choice picks.
guaranaGuarana seeds, dried and powdered, are used as a dietary supplement for weight loss, to enhance athletic performance, as a stimulant similar to coffee, and for many other purposes. Guarana is available over the counter (OTC) as a powder, tablet, or capsule. Common side effects of guarana include headache, agitation, anxiety, irritability, restlessness, nervousness, insomnia, delirium, dizziness, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), muscle spasms, convulsions, increased respiration, irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), rapid heart rate (tachycardia), high blood pressure (hypertension), high blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia), and others. Do not take if pregnant or breastfeeding.
Mediterranean DietThe Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive oil, fish, veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and wine--and how it can benefit your health.
What Is a Typical Italian Diet?Italian food is known the world over for being tasty and colorful. Italians give a lot of importance to fresh ingredients. They use seasonal ingredients to prepare meals.
Best and Worst Seafood Dishes for Your HealthSeafood seems like a healthy choice. But the way it's cooked makes a difference. Find out about the best and worst seafood dishes for your health.
Worst Restaurant MealsWhat are the worst meals to eat in restaurants? See 9 of the supremely worst fattening restaurant meals exposed by a consumer group and get tips for avoiding hidden calories when eating out.