Dragon fruit, otherwise called pitahaya or strawberry pear, is a tropical fruit known for its bright red skin and sweet, seed-spotted pulp. Due to its cactus plant origins, it has a one-of-a-kind look and is a rich source of nutrients, making it famous among foodies and health-conscious people. The sweet flavor of dragon fruit has been described as a cross between a kiwi, pear, and watermelon. Its small black seeds are said to have a nutty taste and are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids.
For the most part, dragon fruit is safe to eat and offers many health benefits due to its vitamin C and antioxidant properties. The fruit is low in calories, making it a perfect everyday snack. However, some may be allergic to the fruit, with symptoms including swelling of the tongue, hives, and vomiting. This sort of response is, by all accounts, rare.
If in case you eat too much red dragon fruit, it may turn your urine pink or red. This side effect looks more disturbing than it is. The same thing can occur if you eat too many beets. Your urine should return to its normal color once the fruit is fully out of your body.
There do not seem to be any side effects related to eating dragon fruit daily although it is still recommended to check with your doctor first.
Nutritional content of dragon fruit
In one six-ounce serving of dragon fruit, you'll get the following:
|Vitamin A||100 IU|
|Vitamin C||4 mg|
6 health benefits of dragon fruit
Dragon fruit has numerous health benefits that include:
- May help fight chronic diseases: Free radicals are unstable molecules that cause cell damage, which might prompt inflammation and diseases. One approach to battle free radicals is by eating antioxidant-rich food sources, such as dragon fruit. Antioxidants work by neutralizing free radicals, consequently preventing cell damage.
- Loaded with fiber: Dragon fruit is rich in fiber and fat-free, which makes it a decent snack because it helps keep you full for longer between meals.
- May help control sugar: Dragon fruit might assist with reducing your glucose levels. Researchers say this may be partly because it replaces damaged cells in your pancreas that make insulin—the hormone that helps your body break down sugar.
- Promotes healthy gut: Dragon fruit contains prebiotics that is food sources for healthy bacteria in your gut. Having more prebiotics in your body can work on the equilibrium of good to bad bacteria in your intestine. In particular, dragon fruit encourages the development of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria in your gut that can kill infection-causing viruses and bacteria.
- Strengthens the immune system: Dragon fruit can strengthen your immune system because it’s high in vitamin C and other antioxidants that are useful for immunity.
- Helps boost iron levels: Iron is significant for moving oxygen through your body and giving you energy, and dragon fruit is loaded with iron. What's more, is that vitamin C in dragon fruit helps your body take in and utilize the iron.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Can I Eat Dragon Fruit Every Day Related Articles
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
Healthy Living and Disease PreventionThe importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and choices can be critical to good health. Learn about healthy behaviors that constitute healthy living.
High-Fiber FoodsLearn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and improve digestion.
Is Jackfruit Bad for Humans?Jackfruit is an exotic fruit grown in tropical regions and native to the southern part of India. It’s available in other parts of the world, including the United States. Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit, reaching up to 35 kg in weight. Jackfruit has a dull green, spiky outer skin, which is not eaten, and the edible part of the fruit (the flesh or fruit pods) lies inside, which is light yellow in color and has a rubbery texture.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
All About AntioxidantsThey're sometimes seen as a kind of magic bullet for our health problems. Find out more about what antioxidants can do for your health.
What Foods Have the Highest Antioxidants?What are antioxidants? Learn the potential benefits and which foods have the highest antioxidants.
What Fruits Should Diabetics Avoid?Managing diabetes successfully is about managing a combination of blood glucose levels. Diabetics do not have to avoid fruit, but they should adhere to sensible portion sizes and watch their overall carb intake.
Which Fruits Are High in Potassium?Potassium is an important mineral that plays a vital role in the body. Fruits that are high in potassium include bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, avocados, grapefruit, apricots, honeydew, guava and kiwi.
Which Fruits Have the Highest Protein?The recommended daily allowance of protein for adults is 0.36 grams per pound of bodyweight. The fruits that have the highest protein content include avocados and guava.