Beet juice, or beetroot juice, contains a variety of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which may benefit your health. Over the years, beetroot has earned a place in the list of superfoods and consists of 88% water, 10% carbohydrates, 2% protein, and less than 1% fat.
Beet is linked to the improvement of a variety of conditions, especially for anemia. While there are no official guidelines on recommended daily intake, a cup of beet juice a day is typically harmless. According to a study, daily intake of 8.4 ounces of juice lowered both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
6 health benefits of drinking beet juice
- Good source of nutrition: Beets are good sources of nutrients, including:
- Improving blood pressure: Studies suggest that beetroot can help lower blood pressure due to its nitrate content. Large quantities of nitrates get converted into nitric oxide, which dilates the blood vessels and decreases overall blood pressure. Nitrates help maintain the inner lining of the blood vessels.
- Preventing anemia: Beets are rich in iron, a mineral necessary for the transport of oxygen in the body. Deficiency of iron can lead to iron deficiency anemia, which can cause symptoms such as:
- Improved athletic performance: Nitrates and betalains (which give beets their red color) in beetroot may boost athletic performance. According to a 2017 systematic review, beets can increase blood flow and oxygen to the muscles and improve exercise efficiency in athletes.
- Anti-inflammatory: Studies suggest that the betalain compounds in beets may act as antioxidants and fight inflammation. These properties prevent cellular damage and lower the risk of developing inflammatory conditions, such as heart disease and cancer.
- Supports your liver: Antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin B-6, and iron help protect your liver from oxidative stress and support your liver’s ability to remove toxins from your body.
What are the side effects of drinking beet juice every day?
Although beet juice is safe for most people, it may cause the following side effects:
- Red or pinkish urine: Drinking beet juice every day can cause your urine to red or pinkish. However, this does not indicate a medical problem. Once you stop eating beets, your urine color will return to normal.
- Low blood pressure: Beet juice can help lower high blood pressure. Therefore, if you have low blood pressure, drinking beet juice may increase your symptoms.
- Increased risk of kidney stones: Beet juice is high in compounds called oxalates. These naturally occurring compounds in urine can increase the risk of kidney stones if you have a tendency to develop them.
- Beetroot allergy: Though allergy to beetroot is rare, some people have reported developing asthma, red or itchy eyes, and stuffy nose when eating beets or inhaling the vapors of cooked beets.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Clifford T, Howatson G, West DJ, Stevenson EJ. The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients. Published 2015 Apr 14. doi:10.3390/nu7042801
Food Data Central. [HISTORICAL RECORD]: ORGANIC BEET JUICE. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/493867/nutrients
Lopes de Oliveira LC, Genov IR, Cabral EDC, MF Mello YA, Mallozi MC, Solé D. Anaphylaxis to beetroot (Beta vulgaris): a case report. Clin Transl Allergy. 2011;1(Suppl 1):P51. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3354182
Top Can I Drink Beet Juice Every Day Related Articles
Anemia: Common Causes, Symptoms, Types, and TreatmentAnemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron deficiency or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame. Treatment can resolve anemia.
How Much Prune Juice Should I Drink to Poop?Digestive problems are one of the common health complaints. Constipation is the most common digestive problem in the United States. It is defined as the occurrence of three or fewer bowel movements that are difficult to pass in a week. The stools in constipation are dry, lumpy, and hard.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
All About AntioxidantsThey're sometimes seen as a kind of magic bullet for our health problems. Find out more about what antioxidants can do for your health.
How Do You Fix Anemia?
Anemia describes a condition in which you have a low red blood cell count and low hemoglobin levels. This is a serious condition as red blood cells and hemoglobin carry oxygen to all your cells, allowing them to burn energy. If you’re anemic, you’ll likely feel fatigued and short of breath, lacking physical stamina. You may have heart problems and appear pale. Anemia is often a symptom of some other disease or condition, so treatment varies widely depending on the root cause.
What Are the Benefits of Drinking Cranberry Juice?Cranberries, also called American cranberries or bearberries, are the fruits of the evergreen cranberry shrub. The cranberry plant (scientific name: Vaccinium macrocarpon) is a small creeping or trailing plant that belongs to the Ericaceae family.
What Foods Have the Highest Antioxidants?What are antioxidants? Learn the potential benefits and which foods have the highest antioxidants.