It is possible but not reliable. Hence, it is not advised.
You cannot accurately check your blood pressure with your phone. Several apps, both Android and iOS, claim that they can measure your blood pressure via new technology. None of these apps have any backing from health experts and scientists as far as their efficiency or credibility is concerned. Thus, it is better to rely on the standard blood pressure equipment called a sphygmomanometer for accurately measuring the blood pressure. You may use the apps on your phone for
- Keeping a record of your blood pressure readings by manually entering the data.
- Sending your blood pressure readings to your doctor’s phone and receiving your doctor’s feedback.
- Keeping a track of your salt intake.
- Getting reminders for staying active, exercising and drinking water.
- Ensuring adherence to medications.
What type of blood pressure monitor should I use at home?
For monitoring blood pressure at home, the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends an automatic, cuff-style, upper-arm (bicep) monitor. According to the AHA
- You must ensure that the monitor you purchase has been validated. You may take a pharmacist’s or doctor’s opinion for the same.
- Wrist and finger monitors provide less reliable readings and are thus not recommended.
- Ensure that the cuff that comes with the monitor is the right size for you. You may take the pharmacist’s help to ensure that it fits well.
- Before buying a blood pressure monitor for certain special categories such as children, seniors and pregnant women, you must make sure it is validated for these categories.
- Take the blood pressure monitor you buy to your doctor’s office during the next appointment. They may check whether you are using it correctly. Your doctor may also compare the readings from your monitor with their readings to ascertain the accuracy of your monitor. You may take your monitor once a year to your doctor to check its accuracy.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Can I Check My Blood Pressure With My Phone? Related Articles
Blood Pressure PictureThe blood pressure is the pressure of the blood within the arteries. See a picture of Blood Pressure and learn more about the health topic.
High Blood Pressure & BodyHigh blood pressure puts you at risk for a number of other conditions. Here's what to look out for.
High Blood PressureWhat causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood pressure. Read about high blood pressure medications, diet, and long term treatments.
HBP QuizTake this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and heart attacks. How are dizziness, snoring, and gout related to HBP? Find the answer and learn how medical treatments and lifestyle adjustments fight this common problem.
Low Blood PressureWhat is low blood pressure (hypotension)? Explore low blood pressure causes, symptoms, and signs. Discover what is considered low blood pressure.
Lower Your BP ExercisesTrying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other lifestyle changes and medications to prevent high blood pressure.