Although there is no fast fix treatment that specifically targets arm fat, it is feasible to drastically improve the appearance of flabby arms by combining specific arm toning and muscle-building exercises with lots of cardiovascular exercises and a good diet.
Especially in people aged 30 years or older, exercises, weightlifting, and maintaining weight are important if you desire toned arms.
5 best exercises to reduce my flabby arms
The arm workouts described here can help you tone your arms, strengthen your triceps and get rid of drooping skin. Do 10 to 15 repetitions of each exercise and repeat for two to three sets.
- Modified push-ups
- Push-ups help tone and strengthen chest and arms muscles. The modified push-up is done on the knees.
- Place your weight on your knees and hands while facing down.
- Push up with your arms until they are fully extended while keeping your back straight. Then, slowly lower your body until it almost touches the floor and repeat.
- If you want to boost the ante, try 10 to 15 standard push-ups.
- Triceps dips
- Triceps dips are an excellent way to tone the back of your arms. This workout will necessitate the use of a chair.
- Place your feet on the floor a few feet away from the chair, facing away from it.
- Place your hands behind you on the seat of the chair (fingers facing toward you). Keeping your legs straight, gradually lower yourself by bending your arms behind you until your buttocks are almost touching the floor.
- Repeat by slowly raising your body back up with your triceps until your arms are fully extended (straight).
- Dumbbell diagonal raises
- Maintain your right arm straight and place it across your body in front of you, near your left (opposite) hip while standing.
- Slowly lift your arm in front of you and diagonally across your body until it is completely stretched above your right shoulder. Slowly bring your arm down to your left hip and repeat.
- Experiment using your left arm as well.
- Dumbbell bicep curls
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand while standing (arms at sides).
- Keeping your palms facing up, slowly curl up both arms by bending at the elbow until your biceps are fully extended. During this exercise, maintain your elbows close to your sides.
- Hold for a second before carefully lowering your weights to the beginning position and repeating.
- Dumbbell bent-over reverse fly
- Bend forward at the waist until your torso is virtually parallel with the floor, with your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- You can alter this exercise by not bending as far forward. Your arms should be straight and point toward the floor while you hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Raise your arms slowly (while keeping them straight) away from each other and toward the ceiling. When your arms are even with your shoulders, come to a halt.
- Lower your arms slowly and repeat.
9 common tips to prevent and treat flabby arms
- Sun damage
- Sun-damaged skin on the arms is prone to shriveling and sagging, leaving unsightly flabby underarm skin with age.
- Wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen, especially on cloudy days, is the most important thing you can do to protect yourself from ultraviolet-related skin damage.
- Ideally, you should avoid sun exposure during peak midday hours.
- You can cover up and wear a hat to protect your face and shoulders from excessive sun exposure.
- Adopt a healthy balanced diet
- A balanced diet can offer your body the resources it needs to get through the day while preventing unnecessary fat formation.
- A diet rich in the nutrients required for good skin health can help enhance the tone and texture of your skin, hence preventing drooping arm skin.
- Doctors recommend the consumption of colorful fruits and vegetables, which are high in antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for skin health. It is beneficial to consume meals high in lycopene, an antioxidant that counteracts the damage produced by ultraviolet rays.
- Lycopene-rich foods include:
- Red bell pepper
- Pink grapefruit
- Other red-colored fruits and vegetables
- Lycopene-rich foods include:
- Because vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps produce collagen, it strengthens the dermis. It can be found in leafy green vegetables and citrus fruits.
- Processed meals and sugary foods are your skin's worst enemies and consuming too much of them harms the body.
- High blood sugar levels cause glycation, a process in which damaging free radicals begin to degrade collagen and elastin fibers in your body.
- A high-sugar diet raises insulin levels, which causes inflammation and early cellular damage. This causes your skin to age faster, and drooping skin to become more visible.
- Drink plenty of water
- A couple of extra glasses of water per day could help keep those flabby arms at bay.
- Water hydrates your body's cells and promotes blood flow to your skin, which can keep your skin healthy and your cells refilling swiftly.
- If you do not drink enough water, your skin will become dry, wrinkled, and flaky, lose its resilience, and will be more prone to wrinkling and drooping.
- Avoid smoking
- Smoking is the second leading cause of premature aging (after sun damage). Avoid smoking and secondhand smoke as much as possible.
- Smoking makes your skin less robust, lowers collagen levels, raises inflammatory protein levels, and adds to wrinkles and thin skin.
- The oxidative damage and premature aging caused by smoking cigarettes are simply not worth it.
- Lose weight slowly
- One of the most common reasons for loose skin around various regions of your body, particularly your upper arms, is sudden weight loss.
- If you want to lose weight, go slowly and steadily for the sake of your health and your skin.
- The reality is that losing weight takes time, and any quick-fix remedies will most certainly be harmful to your body in the long run.
- If you lose arm fat too quickly, you will have droopy skin that droops when you elevate your arms.
- Experts recommend that you lose no more than one to two pounds every week if you are trying to lose weight.
- To maintain muscle mass while decreasing weight, it is critical to eat a balanced and protein-rich diet.
- You should include strength training in your weight loss regimen.
- Support skin strength with a hydrolyzed collagen supplement
- Collagen is a protein present in connective tissue. It is an important structural component of the skin. Collagen can be found in fish and animal meat, but because collagen molecules are so small, hydrolyzed collagen is significantly more absorbable by the body.
- When you take a hydrolyzed collagen supplement, it enters the small intestine and is absorbed as free amino acids and tiny peptides into the bloodstream.
- These tiny collagen peptides and amino acids are carried by blood vessels throughout the body and dermis.
- Collagen peptides and free amino acids stimulate collagen and elastin synthesis in fibroblasts once they reach the dermis.
- Several clinical studies have shown that taking a hydrolyzed collagen supplement can help eliminate wrinkles and increase skin suppleness.
- To see visible results, take at least 10,000 mg of collagen each day for eight weeks.
- Underarm surgery
- Underarm surgery also called brachioplasty or arm lift surgery involves tightening loose, sagging skin and eliminating extra fat deposits in the upper arm that develop as you get older.
- Most choose brachioplasty for cosmetic reasons, but in some cases, the skin sags so much that it forms "bat wings," which can impede movement and interfere with arm use.
- Brachioplasty is only advised for people in good health, who do not have any significant disorders or preexisting medical conditions.
- Surgery will leave a significant scar from the armpit to the elbow, so you should not consider it unless you are okay with having such a scar.
- Laser liposuction treatment
- Laser liposuction is a wonderful approach to shape the skin under the upper arm area if you have little skin laxity.
- Laser liposuction can be performed when you are unable to achieve the desired shapes with exercise alone.
- It eliminates arm fat via a tiny skin incision. Besides lowering arm fat, laser liposuction encourages collagen formation and tightens the skin.
- If there is a small amount of fat under the arms, laser liposuction is ideal.
- When it comes to getting rid of flabby arms, decreasing some arm fat and increasing more muscle definition can be beneficial.
- A combination of aerobic and strength training can help tone your arms, shed fat and minimize upper arm flabbiness.
- The triceps are the key muscles to work on if you have flabby arms.
4 yoga positions to reduce and tone flabby arms
Yoga stretches help reduce flabby arms and enhance muscle definition throughout the body.
- Upward plank pose: This is similar to a standard plank position, except that you face upward with your arms and hands behind your back, pushing yourself up and backward from the floor.
- Downward-facing dog: Stand with your feet slightly apart, lean forward, and place your palms on the floor, then walk your hands and feet apart from each other to form an inverted V, keeping your back straight and stretching your back legs.
- Crow pose:
- Form a squat, then lean forward and place your palms on the mat in front of you, bending your elbows.
- Press your hands into the mat and lift your legs off the floor for a few seconds, resting your knees on your elbows.
- Press your hands into the mat and steadily push up your upper body until your arms are straight while lying face down on the mat, feet together and elbows tucked to your side.
- Hold yourself down for a few seconds before relaxing.
Do these exercises or yoga every other day, along with 30 to 45 minutes of cardio on most days, as well as eat a nutritious diet, to obtain well-shaped arms in five weeks. These exercises functions as both a warm-up and a workout for your arms, shoulders, chest, and stomach.
- Women's Gymnastics Brings High Risk for Concussion
- Going Solo: Masturbation May Give Humans an Evolutionary Edge
- Longer Breastfeeding in Infancy, Better School Grades for Kids?
- Kids With ADHD, Behavior Issues Have Poorer Trajectories as Adults
- FDA Finalizes Limit on How Much Arsenic Can Be in Apple Juice
- More Health News »
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
WebMD. Arm Exercises to Tighten and Tone. https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/tightening-and-toning-arms
Healthier Michigan. Flabby Arms No More: 2 exercises that are guaranteed to tone your arms. https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2012/06/15/flabby-arms-no-more-2-exercises-that-are-guaranteed-to-tone-your-arms/
Nayyar N. Wave Goodbye to Flabby Arms. Womenfitness.net. https://www.womenfitness.net/wave-goodbye-flabby-arms/
Top Can Flabby Arms Really Be Toned Related Articles
10 Best Shoulder Exercises for Your Home WorkoutThe shoulder is made of two joints. One joint is between the shoulder blade (scapula) and collar bone (clavicle) called the acromioclavicular joint. The other joint is a type of ball and socket joint between the upper end of the bone of the arm (humerus) and shoulder blade. There are 10 shoulder exercises that you can easily include as a part of your home workout.
Fitness Facts SlideshowThe best way to lose weight? These fast facts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn the secret to weight loss.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
Fitness and Exercise: 12 Basic Yoga PosesFrom beginners to yogi pros, anyone can make these basic poses part of a daily yoga practice. This WebMD slideshow can show you how.
Fitness and Exercise: How to Start a Walking ProgramWalking has lots of health benefits, but for most folks, it's hard to figure out how to make it part of their routine. Learn how to design a walking program and find out the best ways to stick with it.
What Are the Four Most Important Types of Exercises?Exercise is the key to a healthy life. When it comes to exercise, it does not mean only the strenuous ones and exercising at the gym. Exercise also includes stretching and balancing acts.
How Do I Make My Forearms Bigger?Your forearms are a part of the upper limb between the elbow and wrist. The forearm has two bones, namely, the radius (present toward the thumb or lateral side of the forearm) and ulna (present toward the little finger or medial side of the forearm).
How Do You Know if You're Addicted to Exercise?Exercise and fitness are good for your body and mind. You know you are addicted to exercise when you develop an unhealthy obsession with exercise and fitness.
Budget-Friendly FitnessThere are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes, hand weights, resistance bands, stability balls, and more.
12 Types of Plank ExercisesA plank exercise is a form of core strengthening exercise. This exercise strengthens the body muscles, maintain our posture, and support our spine. Some types of planks also help increase your endurance.
What Are 7 of the Most Effective Exercises?The seven most effective exercises are swimming, tai chi, resistance training, walking, kegels, active lifestyle, and sneak exercise into your daily life.
What Are the Muscles in the Arms?The arm is the part of the upper extremity between the shoulder joint and the elbow joint. It has a bone called the humerus, which is attached to the trunk with the help of the shoulder blade (scapula). The joint between the scapula (shoulder blade) and humerus is called the glenohumeral joint.
What Does an Exercise Stress Test Show?An exercise stress test (treadmill test/exercise test/stress test) helps your doctor to find how well your heart works during physical activity. As exercise makes your heart work harder and pump faster, an exercise stress test may reveal problems with blood flow within your heart. It involves walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike till you achieve a particular heart rate and monitoring of your heart rhythm, blood pressure, and breathing during these activities.
What Is the Best Exercise for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?If you have mild or moderate carpal tunnel syndrome, these 7 carpal tunnel exercises and stretches may help relieve symptoms.
What Is the Best Time of Day to Exercise?Exercise is one of the best things you can do to boost the health of your body and mind. The best time of day to exercise is whenever is best for you.