Although no large-scale studies done so far provide sufficient evidence that cinnamon alone can help you lose belly fat, when taken along with a balanced diet and regular exercise, cinnamon may help speed up your weight loss journey.
Some studies have suggested that cinnamon may help you lose weight through various mechanisms, such as boosting metabolic rate, stabilizing blood sugar levels, and controlling appetite. These studies, however, had specific limitations, such as short study duration, lack of data on human subjects, and small sample sizes.
Spot reduction or targeted belly fat loss has been refuted by several scientific studies. When you lose fat, you can’t target one specific area. Whether you want to shed abdominal fat or overall weight, it’s important to limit your calorie intake, be physically active, drink plenty of water, and consume a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
What is the nutritional value of cinnamon?
Cinnamon is a popular spice used in cooking as well as traditional medicines. A teaspoonful (about 2.6 grams) of ground cinnamon provides you with:
- Energy: 6.42 calories
- Protein: 0.104 grams
- Fat: 0.032 grams
- Fiber: 1.38 grams
Cinnamon contains minerals (such as calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium), vitamins (such as vitamins C, K and A, and folate), and several other beneficial substances including antioxidants. Although cinnamon has not been approved yet for the treatment or prevention of any diseases, research suggests that it may provide various health benefits.
8 health benefits of cinnamon
- Managing weight: Cinnamon may help control appetite and boost your metabolism. Regular cinnamon consumption, along with a healthy lifestyle, may help you shed some pounds.
- Managing diabetes: Studies suggest that cinnamon helps improve insulin sensitivity. This means that it helps your body better respond to the hormone insulin, which helps regulate blood sugar levels. Some studies also suggest that regular intake of cinnamon may lower the risk of diabetes.
- Improving sexual function: Cinnamon administration in various forms has been shown to improve erectile dysfunction and sperm counts in men. Cinnamon may help provide relief from menstrual irregularities and cramps in women.
- Promoting gut health: Cinnamon may help improve digestion and overall gut health, providing relief from diarrhea, flatulence, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Improving heart health: Cinnamon contains several antioxidants that help improve the health of the heart and blood vessels. Evidence suggests that cinnamon reduces blood cholesterol levels and lowers the risk of heart attacks, high blood pressure, and stroke. Being low in sodium and great in flavor, cinnamon is a great spice option to add to your recipes.
- Boosting immune system: The antioxidants in cinnamon help improve immune system function. It can help manage infections, such as the common cold, flu, worm infestations, fungal infections, and food poisoning. Cinnamon can also help manage allergies such as hay fever.
- Reducing inflammation: Cinnamon contains several anti-inflammatory compounds. Lowering inflammation helps with chronic diseases such as arthritis.
- Improving brain health: Cinnamon may help improve brain health and reduce the risk of conditions such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease by protecting the brain from inflammation and oxidative stress.
What are common types of cinnamon?
There are four main types of cinnamon: Ceylon, cassia, Saigon, and Korintje. Of these, Ceylon and cassia cinnamon are the most commonly used. Cassia cinnamon is relatively cheaper and has a stronger flavor than Ceylon cinnamon.
The mild flavor of Ceylon cinnamon makes it preferable for use in desserts. It is considered to be relatively safer for regular consumption than cassia cinnamon.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
FoodData Central. Spices, cinnamon, ground. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171320/nutrients
Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory (NRFL). Research. Agricultural Research Service. https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/docs/cinnamon-health-benefits/research/
RxList. Cinnamon bark. https://www.rxlist.com/cinnamon_bark/supplements.htm
Top Can Cinnamon Help You Lose Belly Fat Related Articles
25 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)Sugary foods, processed foods, alcohol, stress, smoking, excess carbohydrates and saturated fats all increase belly fat. Exercise, healthy eating, sleep, self-monitoring, portion control, intermittent fasting, high protein, soluble fiber, vitamin D, hydration and eating flavorful food may all help decrease belly fat.
Belly Fat QuizDid you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best thing for your health. Take the Belly Fat Quiz.
Belly Fat Foods QuizIs belly fat deadly? What kinds of foods are good and bad for belly fat? Take this quiz to learn about belly fat, how it can be dangerous, and what you can do about it.
Can You Lose Belly Fat by Drinking Water?Drinking water is an important part of staying healthy. Staying hydrated is critical if you’re trying to lose weight because it helps your body function effectively and will help you feel better overall.
Diet and Nutrition: Worst Habits for Belly FatDon’t fall into the belly fat trap. Find out which habits may be holding you back from losing weight in your midsection.
Beat Belly FatCould your job be to blame for your belly fat? It might be, if it stresses you out. But there are a number of ways to get rid of it.
Diet and Weight Loss: Reasons You're Not Losing Belly FatIf you're trying to lose belly fat but can't, there's probably a reason.
Health Benefits of CinnamonCould the jar of cinnamon on your spice rack be the secret to better skin, a healthier heart, lower blood sugar, and more? Find out if the claims hold up.
How Can I Reduce My Belly Fat?Reducing belly fat seems to be an arduous task. Poor lifestyle, genetics, hormones, and medications often shows its impact on our weighing scales. There are no spot reduction techniques for losing just the belly fat. However, with these helpful home remedies, slow and steady inch loss is possible.
Is It Possible to Be Allergic to Cinnamon?Cinnamon is a popular spice in many dishes. Cinnamon gives dishes a distinct flavor. Only a small percent of people experience allergic reactions after ingesting or coming into contact with cinnamon.
What Foods Help Burn Belly Fat?To reduce abdominal fat, try lowering carbohydrates and increasing protein and fiber intake. Foods and ingredients that help burn belly fat include red fruits, oatmeal, plant protein, lean meat, leafy greens, fatty fish, apple cider vinegar, resveratrol, choline and others.