Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a degenerative disease of the brain, resulting in memory loss, cognitive decline, and personality changes. Read more: Can Alzheimer’s Go Away? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dementia and Alzheimer's: Is It Aging or Alzheimer's?
Learn the difference between memory problems that can happen to all of us as we get older and real warning signs of dementia.
Alzheimers Disease Quiz: Stages, Symptoms & Signs
Take the Alzheimer's Quiz to discover some of the mysteries behind this cognitive disorder. Learn causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Dementia and Alzheimer's: 13 Bad Brain Health Habits
Good brain health depends on exercising regularly, eating well, and getting enough sleep. Learn how to develop good health habits...
Related Disease Conditions
Why Do I Forget Things Easily?
Forgetting things is quite common. You may forget things easily due to aging, Alzheimer's disease, stress, head injury, medications and other reasons.
Get the facts on Down syndrome, a genetic disorder caused by an additional set of chromosomes in a developing fetus. Down syndrome signs and symptoms include distinctive facial features, growth retardation, and decreased mental function and IQ. Blood tests and ultrasound may be used to screen for Down syndrome but chromosome analysis of the fetus is needed to diagnose the condition. People with Down syndrome age more quickly and may develop Alzheimer's disease as young as age 40. Sometimes people are diagnosed with mosaic Down syndrome, in which case they have more than one type of chromosomal makeup.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Researchers Spot Sign of Alzheimer's Risk That Scammers Love
- New Alzheimer's Drug Delivers Disappointing Results
- Mutant Gene Stops At-Risk People From Getting Alzheimer's: Could It Lead to Treatment?
- The 3 Midlife Factors That Raise Your Odds for Alzheimer's
- Alzheimer's Research Casts Doubt on Safety of Popular Brain Supplements
- DNA Errors in Brains of Alzheimer's Patients
- Medicare Will Only Cover Aduhelm for Alzheimer's Patients in Clinical Trials
- New Insights Into Why Alzheimer's Can Bring Drowsiness
- Early Promise From Experimental Drug to Treat Alzheimer's
- Blood Sugar, Cholesterol Issues in 30s Could Raise Alzheimer's Risk
- Too Much Napping Could Raise Odds for Alzheimer's
- Life Span After Alzheimer's Diagnosis: What Factors Matter Most
- Is It 'Pre-Alzheimer's' or Normal Aging? Poll Finds Many Americans Unclear
- More Evidence That Exercise Protects the Aging Brain
- Four-Legged Friends Could Be Friend to Your Brain
- Getting Active Can Keep Those 'Senior Moments' at Bay
- Keeping Weight Stable Could Help Save Your Brain
- Scientists Work Out How Exercise Saves Your Brain
- Medicare May Rethink Premium Hike for Pricey Alzheimer’s Drug
- AHA News: The Risks and Rewards of Caregiving for Loved Ones With Dementia
- Could Coffee Help Lower Your Odds for Alzheimer's?
- Neurologists' Group Issues Guidance to Families on Controversial Alzheimer's Drug
- Trial Begins of Nasal Vaccine for Alzheimer's Disease
- Pricey Alzheimer's Drug Drives Spike in Medicare B Premium: Officials
- Could Estrogen Help Shield Women's Brains From Alzheimer's?
- Diets That Lower Brain Iron Could Keep You Sharp
- Some Diabetes Meds Might Also Lower Alzheimer's Risk
- Deaths From Alzheimer's Far More Common in Rural America
- An ALS Drug Shows Early Promise Against Alzheimer's
- FDA Panel Advisor Who Panned New Alzheimer's Drug Speaks Out
- Cleaning Up the Air Could Help Prevent Alzheimer's
- 'Light Flash' Treatment Might Help Slow Alzheimer's
- Doctors Divided Over Use of Controversial New Alzheimer's Drug
- There's Been a Shift in Who's Funding Alzheimer's Research
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter