Patient Comments: Calcific Bursitis - Experience


Where is/was your calcific bursitis located? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Vulcan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I just came back from the emergency room and was diagnosed with calcific bursitis on my right arm. The doctor prescribed a steroid course. The pain is unbearable. Hope it gets better.

Comment from: Juls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed last week with calcific bursitis. It was extremely painful for the first two days until the pain medicines kicked in. I couldn't move my arm at all without pain, which meant getting dressed had me in tears. The orthopedic doctor gave me a cortisone injection 5 days later and I finally had some relief. I also went to my chiropractor for dry needling to relieve the muscle inflammation. I have to do physical therapy twice a week for a month and lay off any over the head strength-training exercises going forward. I'm hoping after the inflammation is gone it doesn't flare back up. I love to work out but I'm going to have to be very careful going forward what types of exercises I do because that was some severe pain I don't want to experience again.

Comment from: Holly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have extreme pain in my left shoulder. I have had steroid injections but they do not last long. It has gotten to the point I cannot put my bra on and any kind of reaching up or behind me leaves a throbbing pain for a few minutes in my shoulder and down to my elbow. Some days it hurts in my fingers and wrist too. I also have bursitis in my left hip. I had one in my right shoulder but the calcium deposit disappeared after physiotherapy. Unfortunately I can now no longer afford this for my left side. It is actually very depressing for me.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I have major pain in the right shoulder. I can't sleep on my right side, and I can't lift my arm up. I use my left hand to aid my right arm (pick it up to write).

FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter

By clicking "Submit," I agree to the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. I also agree to receive emails from MedicineNet and I understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet subscriptions at any time.