Caffeine may be found in beverages, supplements, and medications. Common food sources include coffee, chocolate, green tea, and soft drinks. Read more: Caffeine Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Drinks & Beverages Quiz: Test Your IQ
Drink to your health! Take the Drinks & Beverages Quiz to learn how your favorite drinks can impact your life, your behavior, and...
Caffeine Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
If you can't function without your morning cup of java or your afternoon caffeine jolt, this quiz is for you. Learn about your...
Foods to Boost Your Energy and Mood
Learn which foods may boost your energy level and have a positive impact on your mood. Foods such as salmon, Brazil nuts, and...
Skinny Sipping: Best and Worst Drinks for Losing Weight in Pictures
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
Urinary Incontinence in Women: Types, Causes, and Treatments for Bladder Control
Urinary incontinence in women is a common problem. Overactive bladder (OAB), stress incontinence, and urge incontinence can be...
What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and density. Osteoporosis causes symptoms of weak, thin, fragile bones....
Foods and Drinks That Trigger Leaky Bladder in Pictures
Certain foods and drinks may be triggers for people with an overactive bladder (also called urinary urge incontinence). Find what...
12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips
Painful headaches can ruin your productivity and quality of life. But what triggers headaches and migraines? Learn some...
Migraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
What does a migraine feel like? Discover the difference between headaches and migraines. Learn to spot migraine symptoms early,...
Men's Health: What Foods Improve Male Health?
What foods have the most health benefits for men? For losing weight, gaining muscle, and lowering your risk of prostate cancer,...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Healthy Dieting Myths and Facts
Learn about healthy dieting myths and facts. Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the...
Pictures of Famous People Coping With Migraines
See how celebrities cope with the pain caused by migraines. Learn their methods used to prevent and relieve migraine pain....
13 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Find medical relief for menstrual cramps and menstrual pain symptoms. Learn how women's daily habits can relieve the discomfort...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Related Disease Conditions
Colic in Babies
Colic is crying or fussing that begins suddenly, lasting for a total of three hours a day and happening more than three days a...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Hoarseness (abnormal deep, harsh, raspy voice) is caused by a variety of conditions in which the larynx (voice box and vocal...
There are many types of urinary incontinence (UI), which is the accidental leakage of urine. These types include stress...
Heat stroke (heatstroke or sun stroke) is a form of hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a true medical emergency that can be fatal if...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Fibrocystic Breast Condition (Cysts, Fibrosis, Lumps, Changes) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Fibrocystic breast condition (sometimes called fibrocystic breast disease) is characterized by lumpiness and usually pain,...
Overactive Bladder (OAB)
Overactive bladder is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscle wall of the bladder causing urinary urgency (an immediate...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia (PSVT)
Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) is an abnormal conduction of electricity in particular areas of the heart. PSVT...
Urinary Incontinence in Children
Urinary incontinence in children (enuresis) is twice as common in boys as in girls and may occur during the daytime or nighttime....
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children and Teenagers
Sleep needs in children and teenagers depend on the age of the child. Sleep disorders in children such as: sleep apnea,...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Heartburn (Acid Reflux) Symptoms, Relief Medicine, Cures
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the...
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib Symptoms, ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Caffeine FAQs
- Drinks and Beverages FAQs
- IBS treatment: Fiber and No Caffeine
- Caffeine Addiction, Can You Quit?
- 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia and Get a Good Night's Sleep
- The China Study
- Colic Remedies to Comfort Your Baby
- Coffee: Brimming with Health Benefits?
- Soft Drinks: Help for Soda Lovers
- Caffeine: Healthier Ways to Get Your Caffeine
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Coffee May Have Another Perk for Kidney Patients
- Caffeine Not a Dieter's Friend
- Health Tip: Understanding Caffeine
- Health Tip: Avoid Concentrated Caffeine
- Could Caffeine During Pregnancy Spur Weight Gain in Kids?
- FDA Cracks Down on Caffeine-Loaded Supplements
- Coffee Doesn't Help Parkinson's Motor Disorders
- Can Coffee or Tea Extend Survival With Diabetes?
- It's Time to Kick Fido Out -- of Bed, That Is
- Health Tip: Avoid These Beverages to Fight Insomnia
- Drink Coffee, Live Longer?
- A Shot of Caffeine May Speed Wake-Up After Anesthesia
- Daily Jolt of Java May Bring Longer Life
- Health Tip: When Summer Heat Gets Intense
- Too Much Caffeine Caused South Carolina Teen's Death: Coroner
- Taking the Stairs a Better Pick-Me-Up Than Coffee
- Energy Drinks May Give the Heart an Unhealthy Jolt
- White Wine May Do No Favors for a Woman's Skin
- Stress Buster: Emotional Eating
- Need More Zzzzz's?
- Health Tip: Good Habits Prompt Healthier Eating
- Do Energy Drinks Plus Booze Equal More Injuries?
- Poor Sleep in Preschool Years Could Mean Behavior Troubles Later
- Health Tip: Don't Be a Night Owl
- Can Coffee Perk Up Heart Health, Too?
- Health Tip: Cutting Out Caffeine?
- Exercise May Be Real Medicine for Parkinson's Disease
- Polar Vortex Tightens Grip on U.S.
- Health Tip: Adjusting to Life With a Roommate
- Sugary, Caffeinated Drinks Could Cost You Sleep
- Health Tip: What Could Trigger Heart Palpitations?
- Coffee's Impact a Matter of Genes?
- Mediterranean Diet, Caffeine May Be Good for Your Eyes
- Sweating Over a Perspiration Problem?
- No Link Between Caffeine, Irregular Heartbeat in Heart Failure Patient Study
- Savor Your Coffee -- and a Bright Smile
- Coffee Cravings May Spring From Your DNA
- 5 Tips to Help Teens Get Needed School-Year Zzzzzs
- Health Tip: When it Takes Too Long to Fall Asleep
- Dodge the Jet Lag, Enjoy Your Trip
- Drink Water, Stay Slimmer?
- Caffeine's Jolt Can Sometimes Be Short-Lived
- Health Tip: Get Enough Sleep
- ADHD Meds May Pose Heart Risks for Some Kids
- Health Tip: Sleepless on Sunday
- Health Tip: Choose Energy-Boosting Foods
- A New Health Perk for Coffee Drinkers?
- Caffeine Intake -- Even Dad's -- Linked to Miscarriage, Study Says
- Health Tip: Setting Yourself Up for Better Sleep
- Health Tip: Alzheimer's Disease Can Interfere With Sleep
- Smoothing the Transition to Daylight Saving Time
- Widely Used Heartburn Drugs Linked to Dementia Risk in Study
- Health Tip: Shed Poor Eating Habits
- Daily Caffeine Doesn't Seem to Jolt the Heart: Study
- Crave Coffee Too Much? Talk Therapy May Help
- Don't Let Reflux Ruin Your Thanksgiving
- Caffeine in Pregnancy May Not Harm Baby's IQ, Study Finds
- Charges Filed Against Makers of Nutritional Supplements
- Coffee Drinkers May Live Longer
- Just One Energy Drink Sends Young Adults' Stress Hormone Levels Soaring
- It's Back to Standard Time This Weekend
- Health Tip: Boost Energy Without Caffeine
- Some More Vulnerable to Nicotine Addiction Than Others: Study
- Coffee May Not Risk Irregular Heartbeat, Study Claims
- Antidepressants Top Treatment Choice for Severe PMS: Researchers
- Caffeine at Night May Disrupt the Body's Internal Clock
- Could Lots of Coffee Up Heart Risks for Young Adults With High Blood Pressure?
- Health Tip: Having Heart Palpitations
- Can Coffee Lower Risk of Colon Cancer's Return?
- Regular, Moderate Coffee Drinking Tied to Better Brain Health in Seniors
- Health Tip: Sleeping With Chronic Pain
- Coffee May Help Men Keep Impotence at Bay
- Untested Stimulant Still in Dietary Supplements
- Diet Sodas Linked to Widening Waistlines in Seniors: Study
- Coffee and Your Health: FAQ
- 14 Percent of Toddlers May Be Drinking Coffee
- Love Coffee? Your Heart May, Too
- ER Physician Raises Concerns About Powdered Caffeine
- Could Coffee Lower Risk of Multiple Sclerosis?
- Surprises in Proposed New Dietary Guidelines
- U.S. Teens Getting Less Sleep Than Ever
- Energy Drinks Tied to Inattention, Hyper Behavior in Middle Schoolers: Study
- Coffee Linked to Possible Lower Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Can Coffee Protect You From Melanoma?
- Young Children, Energy Drinks a Dangerous Mix
- Protect Yourself in Icy Temperatures, Heavy Snow
- For Infertility Treatment, Should He Drink Less Coffee, More Booze?
- Even Decaf Coffee May Help the Liver
- Some People Are Born Java Junkies, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Are Your Teeth in a Grind?
- Getting Back to School Sleep Schedules
- Many Shift Workers Use Drugs to Sleep, Stay Awake, Study Finds
- Coffee May Keep Your Ears From Ringing
- Is Coffee Aggravating Your Hot Flashes?
- Caffeine Powder: FAQ
- Energy Drink 'Cocktails' May Boost Desire to Drink More
- Caffeine Affects Teen Boys, Girls Differently, Study Says
- Health Tip: Dealing With Shift Work Fatigue
- Could Energy Drinks Be Wrong Choice for Some Teens?
- Could More Coffee Lower Your Odds for Diabetes?
- Study Links Coffee to Lower Liver Cancer Risk
- Could Coffee Lower Death Risk From Liver Cirrhosis?
- Smoking May Dull Ability to Sense Bitter Tastes
- Teens' Energy Drink Habit May Be Linked to Booze, Tobacco, Drug Use
- Energy Drinks, Coffee Increasing Sources of Caffeine for Kids, CDC Says
- Another Arctic Blast Has Much of U.S. in Its Grip
- Third Deep Freeze Sweeps Across Country
- Dealing With The Deep Freeze
- Health Tip: Get More Restful Sleep
- Extra Zzz's in Morning May Help Teens Stay Alert in Class
- Your Daily Coffee Just Might Jolt Your Memory
- The Cold, Hard Truth About Surviving Bitter Winter Weather
- Hormone Takes the High Out of Weed, Rodent Study Finds
- Health Tip: Teens Need Enough Sleep
- Bad Night's Sleep May Raise Blood Pressure in Kids
- Does Caffeine in Coffee Perk Up Heart Health?
- Your Afternoon Coffee Might Trigger a Bad Night's Sleep
- As Clocks Turn Back on Sunday, Think About Better Sleep
- Sugary Drinks and Rheumatoid Arthritis Linked?
- Health Tip: Establish Healthy Bowel Habits
- Teaching Sleep Tips to Parents Seems to Help Kids With Autism
- Health Tip: Help Your Teen Get Enough Sleep
- Recycled Wastewater Safe for Crop Irrigation, Study Says
- Could Heavy Coffee Drinking Help Men Battle Prostate Cancer?
- Good Nutrition Can Boost School Performance, Expert Says
- Heavy Coffee Drinking Tied to Shorter Lives for Younger Adults in Study
- Kindergartners' Soda Intake Linked to Aggression in Study
- Are Truck Drivers on the Road to Ill Health?
- FDA Warns Against Sale of Sports Supplements in U.S.
- Health Tip: Don't Overdo the Caffeine
- Energy Drinks Linked to Changes in Heart Rhythm
- Coffee Can Help Truckers Stay Safe on the Road: Study
- Health Tip: Avoid Too Much Activity Before Bedtime
- Too Much Coffee in Pregnancy Tied to Smaller, Later Newborns: Study
- Energy Drinks Pose Risks to Teens, Study Finds
- Alcohol and a Good Night's Sleep Don't Mix
- ER Visits Linked to Energy Drinks Double: Report
- How Much Caffeine in That Supplement? Hard to Tell
- Coffee May Lower Risk of Death From Mouth Cancer: Study
- Health Tip: Is Caffeine Giving You the Jitters?
- More Deaths, Illness Linked to Energy Drinks
- 5-Hour Energy Shots Linked to 13 Deaths
- Soda May Worsen Knee Osteoarthritis in Men
- Are Common Chemicals Affecting Your Fertility?
- Caffeine May Help the Brain Process Words
- Energy Drinks Disrupting U.S. Soldiers' Sleep: CDC
- Too Much Dairy, Carbs Might Harm Men's Sperm
- How Much Caffeine Is in Your Energy Drink?
- FDA: 5 Death Reports for Monster Energy Drink
- Taking Terror Out of Nightmares: Tips for Parents
- A Little Bit of Extra Sleep Pays Off Big for Kids
- Poor Sleep in Teen Years Linked to Heart Risks in Adulthood
- 'Where Is My Excedrin?'
- Health Tip: If You Have Anxiety
- Drinking Iced Tea Raises Kidney Stone Risk: Study
- Caffeine May Help Treat Parkinson's Disease
- Booze, Energy Drinks, Casual Sex Combo Common in College: Study
- Health Tip: Why Some Seniors Can't Sleep
- Get This Much Sleep for a Sharp Memory
- Caffeine in Pregnancy Won't Harm Offspring: Study
- Coffee, Fats May Affect Fertility Treatment
- Heavy Coffee Intake May Affect Fertility Treatments: Study
- Coffee May Cut Your Risk for Common Form of Skin Cancer
- Drinking Coffee May Delay Alzheimer's Disease
- Health Tip: Eat Right During Menopause
- Health Tip: What Triggers Your Migraines?
- Health Tip: Eat a Healthy Diet When Nursing
- Coffee May Be Part of the Recipe for a Longer Life
- Do You Have 'Social Jet Lag'?
- Bedwetting Misunderstood but Often Treatable
- Could Caffeine Help Dry Eye?
- Incontinence Drugs: Benefits and Harms Compared
- Coffee Drinking in Pregnancy Won't Lead to Sleepless Baby: Study
- Could Unroasted Coffee Beans Help You Shed Pounds?
- Eat More Chocolate, Weigh Less?
- Coffee Doesn't Affect Psoriasis Risk After All, Researchers Say
- Health Tip: Dealing With Insomnia
- Health Tip: Living With Restless Legs Syndrome
- Citrus Fruits May Lower Women's Stroke Risk
- Health Highlights: Feb. 21, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 20, 2012
- Health Highlights: Feb. 8, 2012
- Heartburn Drugs Linked to Hip Fractures in Women
- Health Tip: Most Teens Don't Get Enough Sleep
- Caffeine May Alter Women's Estrogen Levels
- Health Tip: Food Can Affect Sleep
- Drinking Black Tea May Lower Blood Pressure
- Can Coffee Really Thwart Type 2 Diabetes?
- Chronic Heartburn a Growing Problem in U.S.
- Coffee May Cut Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Energy Drinks Send Thousands to the ER Each Year
- Are Acid Reflux Drugs Overused?
- Coffee Fights Common Skin Cancer
- Health Tip: Managing an Anxiety Disorder
- Drink Coffee, Stay Happy?
- Eating Styles Rub Off on Family and Friends
- Energy Drink-Vodka Combo Nearly Kills Teen
- 'Placebo Effect' May Be Common in Headache Treatment
- Coffee May Lower Prostate Cancer Risk
- New Clues on Caffeine's Health Benefits
- Cayenne Pepper May Burn Calories, Curb Appetite
- FDA Approves New Restless Legs Syndrome Drug Horizant
- Group Wants Ban on 2 Types of Caramel Coloring in Sodas
- FDA Warns of Acetaminophen in Prescription Pain Drugs
- How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?
- Energy Drinks May Raise Risk for Alcohol Problems
- Caffeine May Trigger Gout Attacks
- Obesity, Smoking Linked to Teen Migraines
- Moderate Coffee Drinking OK in Pregnancy
- Caffeine Reduces on-the-Job Mistakes
- More Chocolate Means More Depression, or Vice Versa
- Coffee May Cut Risk of Heart Rhythm Problems
- Dangerous Cocktail: Energy Drinks + Alcohol
- Ringing in Your Ears?
- 28 Tips for Nighttime Heartburn Relief
- Coffee and Your Health
- Dry Mouth
- Fibromyalgia: The Diet Connection
- The Truth About Urine
- Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques To Reduce Stress On-the-Spot
- Energy Products: Energy for Sale
- Energy Drinks: Healthy Choices for Energy Boost?
- Caffeine Drinks: Pros, Cons of the Caffeine Craze
- Insomnia: What You Eat Can Sabotage Your Sleep
- Nutrition: Coffee - The New Health Food
- Antioxidants in Green and Black Tea
- Foods for Better Concentration
- Giving Coffee a Break
- Mental Health: Coffee-induced Anxiety
- Hidden Sources of Caffeine
- Foods to Fight Fatigue
- Alcohol, Coffee, Smoking and High Blood Pressure