Patient Comments: CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA 125 blood test? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sherry60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

My CA 125 recently skyrocketed to 435. I have been on Doxil and it obviously isn't working any more. I have stage 4 ovarian cancer without BRCA mutation.

Comment from: Barbara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had abdominal pain for 2 weeks which led to a CT scan which showed 6 cm ovarian cyst and multiple omentum masses. CA 125 was 945. The protocol was to remove all of my lower abdomen and treat me with chemotherapy and radiation. I was so scared but having had leukemia at 25 years I knew nutrition was the only way to go for me. It is not easy and requires a complete lifestyle/diet change, but since starting 3 weeks ago my pain has diminished by 75 percent and I feel healthier and empowered.

Comment from: Lolly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My sister's CA125 was 4000, and six days later is 7000. She has ovarian/peritoneal cancer. She has the BRCA 1 gene mutation and has already had breast cancer, we are hoping for the best.

Comment from: Cystral, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I just had a CA125 marker coming back 11. However pelvic ultrasound shows left ovary 4.5 cm x 2.5 cm with the walls of uterus having abnormal lining. I am going to see the oncologist to have total hysterectomy, am worried they may find cancer. I have no symptoms.

Comment from: kac, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 11

My mom had ovarian cancer. She has been in remission but we went back for a checkup and her CA125 has gone up from 7 to 49. Her doctor gave her chemotherapy pills to take but nothing is showing on the CT scans at all.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

Before my operation my CA125 was 689.5. I was diagnosed with border line ovarian cyst. Since the operation it is now 36.1 and I am told this is still high.

Comment from: MARCELA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I just got my immunology tumor markers result. Test name: cancer antigen 125 (CA125), result: 10.98, and reference range: 0.00-35U/ml.

Comment from: Steffie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was diagnosed with inherited breast cancer in 2013 (the mutated chromosome on BRCA 1 was confirmed in 2015) and had a rare tumor. My oncologist has since ordered regular checkups via blood test and full body CTs. They came back clear so far. This week I had the yearly checkup for my ovaries and the gynecologist was concerned to find a 33 mm mass on my right ovary which looked like a cyst. She ordered straight away a CA125 blood test which came back today at 23. Since the value last year was 26, and the oncologist seemed extremely relaxed about it, I'm not really worried. For now my mind is at rest.

Comment from: Anxiety, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Test result showed CA125 as 790 which is very high and ultrasound showed a large cyst on the left ovary. But the doctor found it noncancerous after the surgery. This only shows that high CA125 with confirmed cyst does not necessarily mean cancer!

Comment from: Noona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I faithfully have gynecological checkups yearly. Six months after my checkup in 2014, I started getting low back ache and frequent urination. I returned to the doctor in July 2015. Ultrasound showed a 7 inch tumor. CA125 test was done immediately. The count was 2216! I had surgery within a week and six rounds of chemotherapy afterward. I have had 2 PET scans and CA125 tests have been done every 3 months. Readings have been 7 and 8. Stay positive, keep the faith!

Comment from: jim, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My wife had a CA125 level of 32 in March after last round of chemotherapy, her 2nd bout of ovarian cancer. Recent test shows a level of 122 so we are concerned. She is scheduled for MRI and CT scan but doctors won't speculate until tests are done.

Comment from: Steph, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was diagnosed in 2013 stage 1C my CA125 number was 21. I found out my cyst was cancer. Now my number is between 5.1 and 6.1. I don't even like that it is in the 6's this time. I did 6 rounds of chemotherapy.

Comment from: Carolelynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I received my CA125 results today and not thrilled. I had stage 3 ovarian cancer, radial hysterectomy, and 18 rounds chemotherapy. At the time of surgery it was 1,291 and today's test was 9.5. I am upset since last time it was 7, 4.3 and now going up. You know what goes on in your mind. Plays a lot of tricks on you. I am just hopeful.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I started out thinking I had a bladder infection. It wasn't. The doctor ordered a CT and it showed a 6 cm mass/cyst. I'm having surgery next Wednesday. My gynecologist order the CA-125 and said if it was high another surgeon would be doing the surgery. My CA-125 showed a 32. The doctor doesn't seem to like that number. He likes to see a 10. He consulted with the other surgeon and he was instructed to go ahead with the planned surgery but I'm a little worried that it will be cancer.

Comment from: Rae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was having trouble with child's pose in yoga. Ultra sound revealed fluid in my abdominal cavity. CT scan showed stage 3C ovarian cancer. CA 125 was 1350. I had major surgery on May 12, 2014, bowel resection, bladder and everything out. It was fallopian tumor. After first round of 6 chemotherapies every 3 weeks CA 125 was 7.5. In June 2015 CA 125 was 71 and CT scan revealed some small areas in abdomen. I was started on chemotherapy, but levels rose to 500. I was switched to Gemzar and Avastin, CA 125 is now 16 and I will have CT scan tomorrow. My doctor said not to get too involved with CA 125, but rather how I feel and what scan reveals.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had a right mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction and left breast reduction 15 years ago. I had sentinel node involvement and removal of 12 clear nodes. I had CA125 tests 6 monthly and no one noticed it creeping up slowly a degree a time. I began having quite severe lower back pain and feeling extremely tired about the same time daily early evening. I had pelvic ultra sound and discovered ovarian mass. It was stage 3, I had pelvic clearance and CA125 only reached low 20s. Everyone is different, but I regularly request tests as it is obviously a very quiet indicator in my case. As a foot note I have just climbed this year from 9 to 10. I am just a tad concerned.

Comment from: Marg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a CA125 reading at the start of my cancer of 8,319. I had an ovarian operation and today finished my 6th cycle of chemotherapy. My CA125 count is now 25. I will still will have ongoing treatment but I feel I now have hope for the future.

Comment from: Nikky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had a CA125 blood test, the first one's result was 50, and 6 weeks later it was 129. They have fast tracked me to see a gynecologist as it maybe cervical or ovarian cancer. I am stressed to death and alongside this my ferritin is only 8. I am worried if this means I have cancer.

Comment from: Purple913, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed in 2007 with ovarian cancer. My CA125 was 90. I had a hysterectomy and 5 treatments of chemotherapy. I could not do the 6th because of neuropathy. Now my CA125 has gone from 7 to 17. I am having a scan tomorrow; better to be safe than sorry. I check my CA125 at least 3 times a year and I have been free since 2008.

Comment from: Magge, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer in January this year. I had no signs of cancer except a giant bloated stomach. After numerous attempts at seeking help I went to a big teaching hospital in and after heaps of tests I was given my rather disturbing news. My CA125 test was 580. I did not understand it at the time, but now know how bad that is. I was too ill to have surgery so had chemotherapy first. Then after 7 months I had surgery, with great results. After having another 3 months of chemotherapy my CA 125 is now at 11. I haven't as yet, had a PET scan (keeping fingers crossed), which will give a better picture. This is my amazing story, I am still alive and hope to stay well.

Comment from: HeyJude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had the cancer antigen CA125 test in June of 2012 at age 55 due to ovarian cyst that was discovered on CT scan of my intestines (38 year history of Crohn's). My obstetrician/gynecologist said it's unusual for post-menopausal women to have ovarian cyst. I'd had partial hysterectomy (left my ovaries) in my mid 30s during my 3rd small bowel resection for Crohn's. They couldn't get a good look at it on external ultrasound so he had them do it trans-vaginally. He said it appeared to be fluid filled, and didn't look like ovarian cancer, but because of my age he did the blood test and it came back 11.4. He had me going every 3 months for trans-vaginal ultrasound, and did the cancer antigen (ca) 125 test again a year later. He said it dropped a couple of points, didn't give me the number this time, but wanted me to keep getting the ultrasound every 3 months. The last time I went about 9 months ago the technician was very rough, and didn't use enough lubricant. I was in tears, and never went back. Now 9 months later I had another CT (Crohn's) and it's still there! I guess I'll have to have another vaginal ultrasound, and the cancer antigen CA125 again. Oh well, better safe than sorry I suppose. To those of you that have ovarian cancer, or have had it my heart goes out to you, and your loved ones.

Comment from: Raw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was diagnosed in October of 2013. Stage 3 ovarian cancer. I had chemotherapy first and then surgery. I continued chemotherapy and then 4/28/14, no more chemotherapy CA125 was 17. Then on 6/2/14 it was 36 and it has gone up now to 60. So I am doing Avastin 5 cycles tomorrow. I feel good, not sick and never was. I was tired in the beginning and was sick in the hospital for 2 days. Then I was up and going. I was off work 7 weeks and been going ever since. Working is my savior.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was diagnosed with pancreatitis when I was 14, epilepsy in 2006. 2/28/84 is my birthday. I am now 30, when I went through a very serious condition going to the emergency room (ER) where they tested me about three times for pregnancy because I was so distended, but that wasn't the case. They pulled 5 liters of fluid from my abdomen which they expected to be yellow from bile but came out like strawberry shortcake looking. I confused the doctors, my CA-125 level was at 251. Well I had two different things going on, my pancreatitis, and the ruptured cyst which was only a cm at the time. Apparently after getting stented 4 times (pancreas) and the cyst stopped bleeding, I was released from the hospital after 28 days. The cyst was small but supposed to be resolved over 1 to 3 months, however now there is new cyst growing within a cyst (the same one) on my ovary, 5 plus cm in size. I took the CA-125 blood test and awaiting results.

Comment from: Pol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My CA125 Level has gone up from 41 to 59 in 3 months. I've had ultrasound scan and hysteroscopy and nothing has been found. I'm not getting any straight answers so wonder what else can cause raised levels.

Comment from: Judielane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My first CA125 was a little over 5000 and after 9 chemotherapy treatments, it was down to 200. I had surgery and was down to high 40s and after 15 more chemotherapy treatments, down to 22. Three months after finishing chemotherapy CA 125 was 36. I am alarmed so I am getting a CAT scan and hoping all is clear.

Comment from: Marla from PA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was having pain on my left side all the way to my back. The doctor did an internal examination and felt abdominal mass and swelling. Ultra sound showed normal left ovary but a 3mm cyst on right ovary. CA-125 result was 16.0. The doctor said swelling/mass in abdomen was most likely stool due to constipation. A follow up ultra sound will be done in 6 weeks on the right ovary to see if the cyst dissolved and was simply a monthly cyst due to ovulation, also known as corpus luteum. I'm feeling such a relief, thank goodness!

Comment from: Healed in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Please be careful of this blood test only! My CA 125 test was over 600, but read on! I had what I thought was a urinary tract infection. My doctor sent me on the fast track for surgery - with this blood test. The first result was over 600, and he said I had ovarian cancer, Stage 4, and needed a complete hysterectomy within 24 hours. They also wanted to take samples of lymph nodes. An ultrasound showed a cyst on one of my ovaries. I was young, and wanted more children. We requested a second opinion. They told me I didn't have time - it was November, and I'd be dead by Spring. My husband and I insisted. I was sent to a women's hospital in our closest major city. The doctors there confirmed their results and scheduled me for surgery in FEB. I requested the blood test be repeated. They examined me and said they felt the cyst and I definitely needed the hysterectomy. HERE'S THE AMAZING CATCH: The specialists in the city hospital EXAMINED THE WRONG SIDE OF ME (THE WRONG OVARY) - and YET THEY STILL FOUND A CYST! They still insisted I needed surgery. We stuck to our request to have the blood test repeated. The second test dropped from over 600 down to 59. I had it repeated again in four weeks - the third test was down to 40. I NEVER HAD THE SURGERY - I AM HEALTHY, HAPPY - AND I AM STILL WHOLE. IT WAS JUST A URINARY TRACT INFECTION CURED BY ANTIBIOTICS, AND SOME CONSTIPATION CURED BY METAMUCIL. SO DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE FEAR FACTOR - USE YOUR HEAD, GET A SECOND OPINION, AND REMEMBER GOD IS THE GREAT PHYSICIAN! Watch out for that CA-125 Test - you can't count on it to be reliable for a cancer test. Get your tests repeated - it's DEFINITELY worth it!!!

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

Having had several CA125 tests, when one was done and I was ovulating the numbers were higher. So I did some research and when the next one was done I scheduled it when I was not ovulating; quite a difference.

Comment from: Caroldee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I just had a CMA125 test by a gynecologist and my count is 60, double what it should be. I have to see a cancer doctor. I am worried it might mean cancer.

Comment from: louise77, Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I had 30 cm tumor on right ovary grade C1. My last CA 125 blood test said 16u/ml. down from 48. I have been told I don't need chemotherapy, so they are monitoring, and it's been just over a year now. Just want this to be over.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have just found out my CA125 is 19 and says normal. And no action by patient required.

Comment from: shagufta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My mother had a tumor, she had surgery 1 year ago. Doctors removed the tumor, she had cancer risk and she had chemotherapy only once. Now after a year she got pain in her left leg and back, loose motions, and sometime constipation. We got ultra sound done, doctors diagnosed the tumor is coming up again in her abdomen. Also they wanted us to do her CA-125 test. The CA-125 test result is (2769.3). Her CT scan report is not come yet.

Comment from: vas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

After surgery and 8 chemotherapy sessions my CA125 is still 15.

Comment from: Frailty13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I don't understand the C125. It was never a marker the entire time I had ovarian cancer. My CA125 was never over 11.

Comment from: Summer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have vulvar cancer. I first did chemotherapy and radiation it came back a year later in the scar tissues from the radiation I had. This time I had surgery and just did my 3rd chemotherapy treatment out of six. My CA125 test last month was 6 and the one I did today was 5. My Chemo nurse was very happy with the results. I have a PET Scan in 2 weeks so I am crossing my fingers.

Comment from: ovarian cancer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have cysts on both sides of my ovaries. My left ovary cyst is bigger than the right one. I had CA-125, and it was 35.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

With my first test the CA 125 level was 111; in the second test a few weeks later, it was 122. The third test about a month later was 148. I had been hospitalized for blood clots in both legs and a hematologist was consulted. I know that abnormal levels do not necessarily indicate cancer.

Comment from: Helen M., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had an ovarian (left adnexal) mass. The CA-125 test reported 14. Medicare refused to pay for this test on the grounds that it is not a good screening test for ovarian cancer; unfortunately I did not know this policy when I had the test administered! Subsequently, the tumor was removed and found to be benign. The physician who had the test done refused to make any representation to Medicare as to why he ordered the test (I assume knowing that Medicare would not pay).

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 67 years old and had no symptoms. I went to GYN doctor for a regular check up and she felt a mass in my abdomen and ordered additional testing of which revealed ovarian cancer. I could not believe it as I had had my ovaries removed 5 years before. However, she explained that ovarian cancer usually attacks the lining of the ovaries and the lining is not removed when your ovaries are removed. She immediately referred me to a GYN/oncologist in Charleston and surgery was performed on Sept 15/2010. I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancers and have had my 5th chemotherapy and only have one more to go. My original CA125 was 186 but as of this week is 16.5. My HE4 is also with in a normal range and I am praising the Lord because I had several enlarged lymph nodes in my abdomen and my chances of survival were only 30 to 50%. However, as of today, my chances have increased to 50 to 60%. I know it is not over but I am keeping the faith and hope you will pray for me.My chances havd increased to 50 to 60%. I know it is not over but I am keeping the faith and hope you will pray for me.

Comment from: tracyhawk74@yahoo.co, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

At age 32 in summer of 09 I started having really bad cramps when on my menstrual period. I went the emergency room several times but they always told me nothing life threatening. In October 09 my finance took me to another local emergency room where they did a CT scan of my abdominal where they found a very large cyst on my left ovary. They then referred me to an oncologist OBGYN my CA 125 level only being 24 they did not believe it to be cancer but wanted to remove my ovary and have it tested it tested to be stage 1c cancer did chemo right away and now am in remission with a ca125 of 10 thank god it was only stage 1 and fiancé for forcing me to go to another hospital. Please if you feel something is not right get it checked until they find an answer we know our bodies and don't just stop at one place if you feel more is wrong than what they tell you.

Comment from: DLB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

It is important to know that you cannot compare your CA 125 blood test results with others' results. Everyone's count can be different for many reasons. Three years ago, I went through surgery for stage 1A ovarian cancer. My CA 125 was 44 before surgery and now that I am cancer-free, the counts range between 2 and 4! Now I have a baseline of what my count was with cancer and what it should be without cancer. My sister had a CA 125 blood test done as a precautionary measure, and her count was a 78! Even though it was much higher than mine, she does not have cancer, but it caused a great deal of stress for her until the misconception was cleared up. If any doubts, talk to your gynecologist and get regular checkups -- it saved my life!

Comment from: Sundus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I have been diagnosed with a complex cyst on my left ovary ( size approx 7.8 cm) and my CA 125 level is 65. My doctors have suggested a laparoscopy removal of the cyst but meanwhile my hormonal tests revealed that my thyroid level is elevated as well ( 12.2) . Now I have to wait until my thyroid is normalized then my cyst will be operated. I am scared to wait, because of what many doctors have said about the chances of cyst getting ruptured and twisted. I do feel a little uncomfortable pain in my back and lower abdomen and weight gain as well.

Comment from: Overwhelmed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Hope your results are good. I am a 49 year old female. June 2009 admitted to the hospital with leg and lung clots on blood thinners for 9 months now. I have very heavy periods and have been to several doctors and had vaginal ultrasounds and pelvic MRI. There is some type of 12mm mass in the uterus and a 16mm mass. They can't give me any answers. I am also going to a new doctor in April. The anxiety of being on the meds and no answers is very stressful.

Comment from: NickAnn, Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I am 44 years old. I had a back injury at work which led to an MRI in March 2017. The MRI showed a 10 X 10 X 12 mass in my pelvis. Then the next 2 weeks became a roller coaster ride! I have a CA125 drawn and it was 129. I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy and staging April 5, 2017. I have never been so scared in my life. I want my life back!

Comment from: tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My CA125 is 10.90, I don't know what that means. I have a 7 cm tumor on my ovary that is growing and they can't find left ovary.

Comment from: Lwebbie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I've got CA125 level of 35. My transvaginal ultra sound showed two small growths and cysts in the lining of my womb.

Comment from: Kimmy1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My CA125 was 149 and I don't know what to expect I am a BRCA gene.

Comment from: girl69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have a CA 125 of 47.78. I do not have cancer that I know of.

Comment from: Thanuja, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have done CA 125 test and result is 1.9-16.3U/ml with a median of 4.8 U/ml.

Comment from: rohu, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My mom suffering from ovarian cancer. Her CA125 count is 1074.30.

Comment from: mini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My CA125 test results are 1.4 u/ml. I am shocked – can it be ovarian cancer?

Comment from: ca-125, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was in remission for two months. I went from 330 to 17 two months ago. I just tested and found out it's up to 225.

Comment from: Gayle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been sailing along for eight years after initial diagnosis of stage 1 ovarian cancer and chemotherapy, with CA125 levels of 1-2. Now my doctor has switched health system affiliation and is using a new lab. The CA125 lab results came back as 5. I'm going to retest in three months. I don't know if I should be overly concerned.

Comment from: butterfly_bunnies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My journey started about three years ago. I had lots of pain in my lower back and near my ovaries. I had three opinions before I found a doctor who listened to me. I had ultrasounds that showed one of my ovaries enlarged to about the size of an orange. After watching it and having many ultrasounds, my doctor said we should do a hysterectomy. When the ovary was biopsied it was stage 3. I went through six months of chemo and 18 treatments. I was good for two years. Then my CA125 results starting climbing and went up to 129, so I had six more rounds of chemo and my CA125 is at 10. I will be checked again in three months. Someone needs to find a cure.

Comment from: B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

In July of 2012 my CA 125 test was 1275. I had a full hysterectomy and six month of chemo. Each month the numbers were cut in half. Now, three months later, my number is 17 – yay! Best of luck to all.

Comment from: lola, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My CA 125 test was 39. I am waiting for an ultrasound scan. I have had back pain and pain in my groin, also my tummy swells up. I'm worried sick.

Comment from: Maria Cristina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

First I had pain in my left side and the doctor found a solid mass. He thought it was by the ovary, next the CA125 result was elevated to 103. I had surgery to remove the solid mass and thedoctor found fallopian tube cancer not cancer on the ovary. After surgery CA125 showed 76.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

On Aug. 15, my CA 125 was 45 and on Sept. 15, a second CA 125 came in at 85. Through ultrasounds, I'm being monitored for some cysts on my right ovary that have been growing, shrinking, or remaining the same over the past year. However, until now, my CA 125 has always been in the normal range. I'm following up with my OBGYN, but unfortunately, I have to postpone my IVF treatment until I get some solid answers on what is really going on.

Comment from: Why Me?, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had an elevated CA 125 test result of 76, and after an internal ultrasound, a mass was found on my right ovary. I am having a laparoscopy in five days and a biopsy during the procedure will determine whether the mass is malignant and needs to be removed. I am 28, have not yet had children, and already have infertility issues. I'm worried that the 12-month usage of Clomid resulted in cancer and further infertility.

Comment from: coach, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My CA 125 score was a 114. I have a cyst that is 16 by 14 centimeters. I am seeing a specialist on Wednesday.

Comment from: denise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I went to the ER with horrible abdominal pain. CT scan and ultrasound showed a mass on my ovary. I was given a CA 125 test that came back at 755. I was scared to death. I was sent to an oncologist and told I needed the mass removed and biopsied. It was not cancer but severe endometriosis.

Comment from: Yellowrose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was having occasional shooting pain or sometimes pressure on my lower right side, approximately where the ovary is. The ultrasound showed thickening of the endometrial lining, but it did not show my right ovary. I had a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, and D and C. There was a small endometrial polyp that was removed. Because of severe adhesions due to previous surgeries, the doctor could not see my right ovary with a laparoscopy. I have cervical stenosis also. I had a CA125 of 43. My doctor said to repeat it in a month. My doctor thinks the pain is due to adhesions. We're still concerned since we can't see my right ovary.

Comment from: lacrossemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

CA 125 was 59 (December 2009). This test was run when I entered the ER and diagnosed with 2 blood clots to my leg and several blood clots in each lung. I have been to my gynecologist and had a pelvic exam as well as an internal ultrasound. I have bilateral cysts on the ovaries. I have had my period for a solid month. My age is 48. I was referred to a gynecological oncologist and he ordered a repeat internal ultrasound. Surgery is indicated, however, I will be going to my gynecologist this week for an endometrial biopsy. I have since chosen to change doctors and will see my new doctor the end of March. Hoping results aren't too bad.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Mine was only 33 but I had stage 2 ovarian....so be careful.

Comment from: mona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 40 now, my CA125 has been always above 35 for the past 10 years, 10 years ago I had a cyst which was septated and I did follow up with it, they told me it was benign, after that I had a baby then the cyst disappeared but my CA125 is still 38.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My mother-in-law is 48yrs old when we had this CA 125 test done the results were 30% and the normal value mentioned was 0-37 exactly what is the result is she suffering from cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: February 22

My first CA125 was 5500 which then reduced to 2500 then my last one was 800. I have just finished my 6th round of chemo and am about to have another scan and CA125 test.

Comment from: OVC Patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

My CA125 was 111. I had double ovarian cancer at age 30 and had to have a hysterectomy.

Comment from: rob, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My wife has been diagnosed with stage 4 Ovarian Cancer, her CA 125 count was 3500. The doctors have found a large mass on her ovaries and she has been placed on a chemotherapy treatment program. We found out today that her next CA125 test was 11000, after the first cycle of chemo it has reduced to 4000, unfortunately she is allergic to some of the chemo drugs and cannot have the more effective drug but it does show how that the drugs can help.

Comment from: kimmiecake, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

My CA-125 was 750. I had an abnormal CT scan showing fluid in my abdominal cavity. I have no appetite, and there were some ovarian abnormalities on my sonogram.

Comment from: Bocelli, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have been in remission for 3 years and 3 months; I had stage beginning stage 4. Now my CA 125 has gone from 13 to 35 in one month. Doctors say "nothing to be concerned about."

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have just done 6 chemo therapies with doxil and my last ca125 was 46 using the test that registers 0-35 as normal.

Comment from: Mimosa Pudica, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My ultrasound showed I have an abdominal pelvic mass which is about the size of a newborn baby's head. An ovarian cyst suspected as borderline malignant. My doctor had me undergo CA 125 and my result registered at 9.3. normal values are 0-35 U/L. They say my cyst is most likely benign considering its size. I should have a much higher result. I really hope it's benign. I'll have my operation next week.

Comment from: Janabelleca, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My CA 125 this past summer was 56, a repeat test indicated 50, now today I have the last results at 78. I am worried about what this means. I have a cyst on my left ovary that has been looked at by ultrasound; it was getting smaller, now this increased result. I wish there was a definitive answer instead of just removal of the ovaries.

Comment from: CA125, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had two small cysts 35 and 30mm in diameter and supra pubic pain then my doctor checked CA125 and the result is 490 now I am waiting for surgery and biopsy.

Comment from: kais84, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My mom had been suffering from constipation for a while, never fully emptying when going to the bathroom. She also had recently begun to feel exhaustion, headaches, and bloating after eating small quantities. Her diet was high in fiber and low in animal protein. She did moderate walking in the evenings after work. Within the past month, she was starting to feel some side abdominal pain. One Sunday morning when she could no longer take it, she went to the ER. They immediately did a CT scan and found tumors scattered around her intestines as well as on her liver. A biopsy was performed and confirmed malignancy (stage 3 ovarian cancer). However, a blood test had been performed ahead of time and although the doctors were aware of her abnormally high CA 125 levels (her's came back at levels of 180) they did not tell us she had cancer because it was just a marker that could read a false positive. Nothing was CONFIRMED until a biopsy was performed. All doctors know that a DEFINITIVE DIAGNOSIS for cancer can ONLY be given after a biopsy sample has been sent to the lab and analyzed by a pathologist. So although in the case of my mom it was accurate, always insist on biopsies. Even scans are not classified as definitive diagnoses, they are differential diagnoses only.

Published: September 14

Women need to listen to their bodies and not ignore symptoms. If you are having bloating, constipation, lower back pain, which everyone does at some time, make sure you don't ignore them. Go to your Dr. insist on getting a CA 125. Yes it can be elevated for many reasons, but if it is elevated have it investigated. Ovarian cancer is a silent killer. The earlier it is caught the better chance of survival.

Comment from: linedancer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 63 years old. I have 2 ovarian cysts of 7 & 8 that have not enlarged in 2 years. My CA125 was 29. The doctor said anything above 20 in post menopausal women is considered high. I have no uterus. I do have a paratid gland tumor. She said the CA125 may be reacting to that.

Comment from: Matt's Momma, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My Mom was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with cancer. Oncologist gave us the results today. Mom's CA-125 is over 2000! She starts Chemo next week.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have ovarian cancer. I have had surgery in January 2007. I have been on constant chemo treatments. I have to have IV's and be put in hospital. It's been going on for 3 years and 5 months. My tumor is now eating into my liver. With no hope of recovery. I have gained weight and have lower back pain as well as cramping in lower stomach. I pray for all who has been faced with this deadly disease. Hopefully one day there will be a cure. Please get checked if you have constipation problems. It can save your life. I have found that a general family doctor doesn't look for ovarian cancer. I believe it needs to be a regular routine check up for women. Please pray with me that a cure will soon be found.

Comment from: heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

In May '10 at age 39, I delivered via c-section a healthy baby boy and the surgeon discovered at that time that my ovary was over 10 cm in diameter and I had numerous .5 to 1 cm covering my uterus and stomach lining. I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer and registered a CA 125 of 2100. Three weeks later, just before starting chemo, my CA 125 had climbed to 3600. I am about to start my second round of chemo and check my CA 125 again. I am hoping it will have gone down significantly, but wanted to post as it seems everyone else that posted registered CA125 readings much lower than me. My doctors say my numbers are so high because of the pregnancy and C Section.

Comment from: lilw, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

The doctor has found a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst on my left ovary and my CA 125 11 test is at 143. I am seeing a gynecologist at the end of June. Doctor's think the level only elevated because of the cyst and possible endometriosis because of my history. I'm nervous waiting. The doctor gave me medicine for the pain thankfully.

Comment from: Karifa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had two blood tests with a week. The first test showed my CA 125 reading at 176.5 which terrified me! My doctor suggested that I have another test undertaken the following week which produced a reading of 45. Needless to say this situation is very confusing. My doctor has suggested that I monitor the readings and if the CA 125 reading starts to increase, I should consider a biopsy or more likely have my ovaries and uterus removed.

Comment from: Butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had breast cancer in 1994, chemo and no recurrence. I went to the doctor with stomach ache and diarrhea 10/08. I had CT scan that showed ovarian cancer. Surgery for TAH, removal of omentum and all but 6" of colon. Stage IV. Started chemo 12/08 and have been in remission but CA-125 has now climbed to 240. Have had 2 CT scans and they can't find the cancer and can't treat until they do. The doctor says he is sure cancer is back, but until he can find it, he can't treat it. Waiting is scary.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I had an extended abdomen in 10/07. I had the CA 125 and my level was at 65. I had a hysterectomy and found out that I had stage 1/2 ovarian cancer. I had no other symptoms other than a swollen abdomen. I thought that I was gaining weight at the time. I was very lucky.

Comment from: sadieboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My results were 109. I am being treated for recurrent endometrial cancer.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter