Patient Comments: Ca 125 - Results

Share your experience with your CA 125 test results. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: deni, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer which did not show up on my frozen samples during my hysterectomy. My CA 125 is 13. I am having a second surgery for debulking and staging. My CA 125 is considered normal and I have cancer!

Comment from: Brander , 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 14

In May of last year I had stage 4 uterine cancer and had the surgery. My doctor was able to remove the cancer, it was stuck to the lining of my stomach, and he removed that too. Yesterday I had my CA 125 test and it was 9. I became concerned because in May it was 7. Tomorrow I will see my doctor.

Comment from: Ovarian cancer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have ovarian cancer and after operation my CA125 level was 161. Chemotherapy was done for 6 months and CA125 level was 13. Now after six months CA125 level is rising up to 41. Now the doctor has advised me to wait for another one month.

Comment from: Gabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

My doctor did and ultrasound because of bad cramping. The first year they said I had fibroids. I went back the next year and they did another ultrasound. They said I didn't have fibroids, but I had a cyst on my right ovary. They did a CA 125 test and it was 44. So they sent me to a gynecologist. Before I went to the gynecologist they did another CA 125 test. At the gynecologist's, they did an ultrasound. They said I did have fibroids and that they cyst on my right ovary was smaller, but that I had a cyst on my left ovary also. They did a CA 125. It came back as 33. They next day I got a call from my regular doctor about the second CA 125 they did. It came back as 61. So I am very confused. First, 44 then 61 then 33. First fibroids, then no fibroids. First cyst on right ovary, then cyst on left ovary.

Comment from: A2nA2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

CA 125 before surgery was 32. Mass was intact with no cancer on the outside. Level was 65 after surgery with surgical spill. Dropped to 25 after first chemotherapy and 10 after second chemotherapy.

Comment from: NancyV,, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I am a 42 year old woman who received a CAT scan 3 weeks ago due to a fall and concussion. The scan showed a meningioma tumor on the right side that a neurosurgeon wants to take a wait and see approach. I had an MRI just for more information on this tumor and discovered a 2nd small 3 mm tumor in pituitary. Again the doctor dismissed the findings. I went for blood work before my physical and my CA 125 results are 60! Blood platelets are high. Now waiting to add to blood work for hormone level. I got a 2nd MRI on pituitary and waiting for results. I am concerned but no one else is. I had many health issues prior, loss of weight, sight, vertigo, etc.

Comment from: Linda V, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 ovarian cancer four years ago. After 5 visits to my doctor who gave me antibiotics for a urinary tract infection (UTI) and said I might have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), no scans were done, I ended up in the emergency room (ER). I did 6 months of chemotherapy (every 3 weeks) and my CA-125 went from 9,816 to 20. Two years later my CA-125 test results began to rise and finally even though the number was only 56, a CT scan was done and showed some activity. I did chemotherapy again for 4 months, every 3 weeks. I have been on infusions of Avastin for more than 3 years to try to stop the cancer. Now my numbers are rising (95), but I had a perfectly clear PET very recently. I have a call in to my doctor, but waiting is excruciating.

Comment from: Mieke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a mastectomy just over 6 years ago. Recently my CA125 moved up to 95. I had a hysterectomy 30 years ago and still had my ovaries. They were removed and were clean. I had another blood test done today and hope to have the result tomorrow. I hope that the result will be normal.

Comment from: Sam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

CA 125 levels can vary in each and every one of us. Some people can have a reading of 200 and be fine with no given signs of cancer. This can be due to the fact that lots of other medical conditions can increase the levels within our body. My mum had her levels measured at over 3,000 when she was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer, they have since been as low as 65 and again as high as 2,800. Her oncologist has never based progress or success of treatment solely on this marker.

Comment from: lisazg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My mother was diagnosed with stage 4b endometrial cancer in September. Her CA 125 was 167 before surgery. She had a full hysterectomy in September and is on her third cycle of chemotherapy. Her CA125 is now 16. I am hoping it continues to go down and stay down. This has been a devastating ordeal. I'm hoping to find more success stories as we are trying to stay positive.

Comment from: plaporta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a level of 750,000 in CA 125 test results. My friend's levels are consistently going higher but no one I know of has had levels this high.

Comment from: catlover123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

My CA125 was always in the normal range, but yet I had a rare form of ovarian cancer. The CT scan showed a cyst on my ovary as well as on my colon. The CA125 that I had done before this last one was a 5 and now this last test showed it went up to 8. Don't know whether to be concerned or not as the last CT scan showed nothing.

Comment from: Jodi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Six years ago I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. I had surgery in which they took 95% of my left ovary and 5% of the right. A recent lower back MRI revealed that I once again have cysts. My transvaginal ultrasound revealed a large "mass" on my right ovary. The radiologist could not definitively say if it is a tumor or a cyst. So today I am going to have a CA 125 test done. From the posts I've read on here, I'm very confused. My Grandmother had ovarian cancer(which she miraculously survived)long before I was born, so I am also very scared.

Comment from: Bellishy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My CA 125 was 133 and I did not have cancer.

Comment from: concerned daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

Hi, my Mom has just been diagnosed with Stage 3C Ovarian Cancer. Her CA 125 levels were over 1000. She has a myriad of other health problems so immediate surgery is not an option for us. We are going with low grade chemotherapy to shrink her mass and then possibly surgery. I am trying to learn all I can about this.

Comment from: scared, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have 2 large cyst. one on each overy. one is 13cm and the other a bit smaller. ca-125 level is 35 and I have been refer to a cancer doctor. I dont know what this means. 2 doctors have said they dont think its cancer. I am confused

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 12 years ago. I was diagnosed with ovarian/fallopian tube cancer a year ago and was given one month. I went through a rough year with chemo. My CA125 got down to 17, three months ago, but last month the CA125 was at 225. Now I am putting my affairs in order.

Comment from: KSR1857, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 02

I had a CA 125 done and the result was 580. A CT / PET scan was done and I had a mass on both ovaries. One was the size of a golf ball, the other the size of an ostrich egg. I had pleural fluid in my right cavity and a collapsed lung. The doctor wanted to give me chemotherapy to shrink the masses prior to surgery. I declined. Three days prior to surgery my CA 125 was up to 705. They ended up removing the masses after draining pleural cavity. It turns out that I had Meigs' syndrome. One month after surgery my CA 125 was 57 and falling.

Comment from: Sue in Michigan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

My mass was found during a CT scan because I was having frequent UTI's. 14 cm mass. My CA 125 was 500 before my total hysterectomy. I had the best kind of cancer I could get, I guess because the malignancy was totally encapsulated and I did not have to have chemo or radiation. I go in every 3 months for a check up and the CA 125. So far my levels have been under 15. Without that CT scan I would have never known about the mass. My oncologist keeps me informed and is awesome.

Comment from: jgcorpex4, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My friend had a CA 125 drawn this week after they discovered "spots" on her liver and pancreas during a chest X-ray. The liver biopsy showed ovarian cancer cells. A scan showed cancer cells on her liver, pancreas, spleen, intestines, and ovaries but they are not sure where the cancer originated. Her CA 125 is 3,000!? She will have a biopsy of female parts on Monday. We are trying to learn more about all this.

Comment from: Louisiana Survivor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

In 1999 my CA125 reading was only 16, but I had a large cyst and at 49, the doctor felt I should have it removed. Thinking that there was no cancer with such a small reading, he assured me it was a routine hysterectomy. But the cyst broke when being removed. When the pathology report came in, I had first stage ovarian cancer. After 7 months of chemo, my CA125 reading has been steady at 1.5. For the last three years the number has increased slightly every year. This year it is at 4.5. My doctor is not concerned, but I am so on edge with this increase every year.

Comment from: sunshinenic, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 06

My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer just over 18 months ago. She was rushed to the hospital for an emergency operation and had her ovaries removed, de-bulking of the bowel, etc. This was the first time I had heard of CA125 markers. She has had 3 lots of Chemo. She went into remission for just 3 months. No more Chemo was suggested. Her CA125 markers have gone from 200 to 490 in just 6 weeks. Her Specialist has said there is nothing else he can do. Her GP is now monitoring her and has just suggested going in to see him when she is not well. She seems quite well but a little weak. I am not sure how long we have her for, but am making each day count. Still not sure how far these markers can go?

Comment from: DinkyDi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have just found out an hour ago that my CA 125 is up to 85. I am worried. I have the BRACA 2 gene and strong history of Breast Cancer and Bowel Cancer. Now I have to go through the weekend and wait until next week to speak to the doctor and what is going to happen. I trust the doctor is going to do whatever he can to delay me having another child to a halt, but...

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have an ovarian cyst on both ovaries. The left one is bigger than the right one. I have done the CA 125 test and my point is 256.

Comment from: Mlunje, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

At age 32 in summer of 2009 I started having really bad cramps when on my menstrual period. I went the emergency room several times but they always told me nothing life threatening. In October 2009 my fiance took me to another local emergency room where they did a CT scan of my abdominal and found a very large cyst on my left ovary. They then referred me to an oncologist OBGYN. My CA 125 level was only at 24. They did not believe it to be cancer but wanted to remove my ovary and have it tested. It tested to be stage one cancer. I did chemo right away and now I am in remission with a ca 125 of 10. Thank God it was only stage one and my fiance for forcing me to go to another hospital. Please if you feel something is not right get it checked until they find an answer. We know our bodies and don't just stop at one place if you feel more is wrong than what they tell you. I am 25year old with a family history of ovarian cancer. I have the same exact symptoms as you!!! my ca 125 is 13.1 (taken yesterday) but since I have no kids I will keep my ovaries and uterus intact. I will be begining my hormonal treatment in 2 weeks time. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Comment from: Berry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

My Doctor found a cyst on my left ovary last fall. It was described as big and ugly. Then they watched it for a month and rechecked the big ugly cyst. It was smaller, but had grown a new one. I have had severe back pain, weight gain, (that had never been a problem) bloating, nausea and heavy periods. I am now 47. I have a strong family history of colon cancer. I see all these values for what a normal CA-125 is or could be but nothing adds up. Some women say theirs test was high at 8. Others not so worried at value of 45. I read on this site, anything under 35 was normal. But my CA-125 ran last week came back at 80. I understand that it is not terribly reliable, but I do have cysts. The pain is all the time and the running to the rest room is ridiculous.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 56 years old. When I was 25 I had a hysterectomy due to a clotted uterus. My doctor said my cervix looked like hamburger meat. They also found out I had cervical cancer in the early stages, no chemo needed they left one ovary. In 2006 they found a tumor in my right lung and had the top lobe removed none small cell, it had not gone into my lymph system, no chemo needed. Now I have a mass on my ovary a large cyst. I had the 125 test done. The results say 6 (<21-) do not know how to read this result.

Comment from: Windfallz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

My CA-125 has increased from 5.6 to 8.2 following my 24 month check-up for Ovarian Cancer.

Comment from: MC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

My CA 125 test first came back with a count over 5,000, in 2005. I had surgery and have been doing chemo on and off since. My count is now at over 2,200.

Comment from: lynnie50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer back in June of 2010 and had 2 major surgeries, and it's been a year and 1 month since I had my surgeries and I now have had another blood test a CA 125 to check my tumor level and it went from 9 to anything over 35 not good, but its only at 49 only went over 35 a little bit should I be concerned or not/ age 52 I am healthy as an ox and all my vital signs that they keep taking are excellent, so now what.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter