C-section (cesarean birth) is surgery to deliver a baby. C-section options, what to expect before, during, and after the delivery of your baby are important considerations for birth. Reasons for a C-section delivery include multiple births, health problems, problems with the pelvis, placenta, or umbilical cord. Vaginal birth after a C-section (VBAC) is also an important issue to discuss with your doctor if you have had prior C-section deliveries. Read more: C-Section (Cesarean Birth) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Pregnancy: Multiple Births, Twins, Triplets, and More
Multiple births occur when a woman bears twins, triplets, or even more babies during pregnancy. More multiples are born today...
Related Disease Conditions
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Placenta previa is a condition during pregnancy when the placenta lies low in the uterus either partly or completely blocking the...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Fetal Movement: Feeling Baby Kick Week-by-Week
Pregnancy can be one of the most joyous time in a couples life. Learn what your baby's first movements may feel like week by...
Childbirth Delivery Methods and Types
There are various childbirth delivery methods and types such as: The Lamaze Method The Bradley Method Water...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
Listeria is a type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Listeriosis symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, and fever. Pregnant...
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
A common form of short stature, achondroplasia (dwarfism) is a genetic condition causing a disorder of bone growth. Complications...
Doula vs. Midwife (Differences between Care, Costs, & Duties)
A midwife and doula are not the same thing. A doula's job is to provide non-medical, emotional, and personal support to a...
DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) During Pregnancy
Deep vein thrombosis or DVT is a condition in which a blood clot becomes embedded in one of the deep veins of the arms, thighs,...
Conjoined twins are identical twins. In both types of twins, the embryo is supposed to separate during the first two weeks after...
Pain Relief Options for Childbirth
Women experience and tolerate pain differently. For some pregnant women, focused breathing is all they need to get through labor...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Preeclampsia (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension)
Preeclampsia is related to increased blood pressure and protein in the mother's urine. Preeclampsia typically begins after the...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- More Complication Risks With C-Section Than Vaginal Delivery
- Is There a Safer Choice Than Opioids After a C-Section?
- Push-Button Pain Meds Curb Need for Opioids After C-Section: Study
- C-Section Rates Have Nearly Doubled Since 2000: Study
- Weight-Loss Surgery Linked to Fewer Delivery Complications
- Health Tip: Recovering from Cesarean Section
- Elective Labor Induction May Cut C-Section Risk
- More Risk of Complications If Vaginal Birth Follows Prior C-Section: Study
- Hospital Midwives, Lower C-Section Rates?
- Ob/Gyns Warn Against 'Vaginal Seeding' Trend for Newborns
- Incision Length Linked to Pain After Cesarean
- Good Diet, Exercise While Pregnant Could Cut C-section Risk
- Opioids Over-Prescribed After C-Sections: Studies
- Breast-Feeding May Reduce Pain From C-Section
- Odds for C-Section May Depend on Hospital
- Study: Plenty of IV Fluids May Make Childbirth Safer, Easier
- Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes Poses Risks for Mom, Baby
- C-Sections May Be Causing Evolutionary Changes
- Could C-Section Birth Raise Child's Risk of Obesity?
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Lower Risk of Pregnancy Complications
- C-Section Raises Risk of Blood Clots After Childbirth: Review
- 2nd Antibiotic Halves C-Section Infection Rate: Study
- U.S. Teen Birth Rate Continues to Fall, Hits New Record Low
- Whooping Cough Shot Safe for Pregnant Women
- Prior C-Section Raises Risk of Complications With Home Birth
- Repeat C-Section May Have No Long-Term Health Risk for Baby
- Inducing Labor May Not Boost C-Section Risk
- Urinary Incontinence Risk Rises Slightly After Vaginal Birth, Study Finds
- Could C-Section Baby Benefit From Mom's Vaginal Fluids?
- Infant Delivery and Feeding Methods Can Affect Gut Composition
- Planned Cesareans Tied to Slight Increase in Asthma Risk for Kids
- Antibiotic Resistance Could Threaten Surgery, Chemo Patients
- Decrease Seen in Epidural-Related Complications for C-Sections
- Cesarean Delivery Won't Harm Kids' Health: Study
- Antidepressants During Pregnancy Have Benefits, Risks: Study
- Umbilical Cord 'Milking' May Help Preemies Delivered by C-Section
- U.S. Birth Rate Records First Rise in 7 Years
- More Evidence C-Sections Riskier for Moms
- New Moms' Codeine Use Down Since Health Warnings
- Morning, Midday Most Common Time for Babies' Arrival, Study Finds
- Preemie Girls Feed Sooner Than Boys, Study Finds
- U.S. Birth Rate Hovers at All-Time Low, CDC Reports
- Moms' Pre-Pregnancy Obesity Tied to ADHD, Other Issues in Kids
- C-Section Rates Drop Slightly With Hospital Review Program
- U.S. Birth Rate Continues Decline, CDC Reports
- Nearly 1 in 3 U.S. Babies Delivered by C-Section, Study Finds
- For Breech Baby, C-Section May Be Safer Option: Study
- Sutures Bested Staples After C-Section in Study
- C-Section May Raise Odds of Failed Pregnancy Later: Study
- Number of Induced Labors Falling in U.S., CDC Says
- Snoring, High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy May Raise Apnea Risk
- Induced Labor May Lower Risk for C-Section, Study Finds
- First-Time Cesarean Rates Dipped in 2012: CDC
- Having a Baby? Price Tag for Delivery Varies Widely
- Natural Delivery After a C-Section Often Successful: Study
- C-Sections in U.S. Stable After 12-Year Rise: CDC
- Babies Born Even Slightly Early May Lag Behind: Study
- C-Section Rates Vary Widely at U.S. Hospitals
- Most New Mothers Skip Sex for at Least 6 Weeks After Childbirth
- C-Section May Raise Child's Risk of Allergies, Asthma: Study
- Obese Black Women at Higher Risk for Having Very Large Babies
- C-Section, Formula May Disrupt 'Good' Gut Bacteria in Babies
- Overweight? You Can Scale Back Weight Gain in Pregnancy
- Multiple C-Sections Linked to Raised Complication Risks: Study
- Obese Pregnant Women With Sleep Apnea May Have More Delivery Complications
- Vaginal Deliveries as Safe as C-Sections for Most Preterm Births
- Kids Born Even a Little Early Have Lower School Scores: Study
- C-Section Babies May Be More Likely to Fail First Hearing Test
- C-Section May Hike Risk for Toddlers' Obesity, Study Suggests
- Induced Labor Late in Pregnancy Has Pros, Cons
- Many Pregnant Women Fear Exercising
- Pregnancy After 40: Healthy Weight Improves Risk
- 'Watch-and-Wait' Approach Best When Water Breaks Before Labor: Study
- Women Have Longer Labors Now
- Health Highlights: March 14, 2012
- Are Repeat C-Sections Safer Than Natural Birth?
- Weekend Delivery Doesn't Hurt Babies With Birth Defects: Study
- Repeat C-Section Best Scheduled at 39 Weeks, Study Says
- Study Weighs Pros, Cons of Home or Hospital Birth
- C-Sections Not Always Best for Small Babies
- Home Births in the U.S. on the Rise
- Teen Birth Rate Is at Record Low
- Preterm Birth Rates Heading in Right Direction, Barely
- High C-Section Rates Aren't Linked to Healthier Babies
- Serena Williams' Pulmonary Embolism, Hematoma: FAQ
- Kids' Behavior Not Linked to Obese Moms-to-Be
- Teen Births at Record Low, C-Sections at Record High
- C-Section Rates Are High and Getting Higher
- New Guidelines for Women With Prior Cesareans
- Gestational Diabetes Underdiagnosed