Patient Comments: Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bendigo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had twenty hours of vomiting and diarrhea. Pepto-Bismol helped with my gastroenteritis. Three doctor visits, one emergency room visit and I'm still feeling tired with no energy. Food does not appeal to me. I am drinking lots of water, and taking a muscle relaxant for terrible back pain which started three hours after vomiting started. This is awful stomach flu. I haven't felt this sick since chemotherapy. I hope you don't get this.

Comment from: smokinjo29, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 07

A boy 3 years old put the back of his hand to see how hot the oven was. It was just a quick touch and the window was so hot that it got three of his fingers. We put ice on it right away but cold water worked better to reduce the pain. Later we added butter with no salt and this helped with the redness. A couple days later it showed like dry skin on the surface.

Comment from: Sarah P., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My arm was broken by someone throwing a large rock. On the x-ray the bone is totally broken in the first, and now the bones ends don't even touch. I wonder if it should have been reset.

Comment from: doe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

At age 31 I was in a boat explosion. I got 3rd degree burns on arms and legs and 2nd degree on face and part of chest. The leg muscle on my left leg was destroyed. I had multiple skin grafts, and fusing of ankle a few years later. I am still feeling effects at age 86. Now I have lymphedema in my 'good' leg. A wonderful doctor who learned skin grafting during World War II saved my life!

Comment from: tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I experienced hot coffee burns that peeled off the skin on my finger.

Comment from: Ms hady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I experienced a third degree grease burn.

Comment from: kw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Boiling noodles, while emptying pot the hot water splashed on my abdomen. I have reddened area of 4 by 5 and 2 areas of burnt skin the size of a quarter each. Tissue is pink and slightly fuzzy in appearance. I have no pain at present.

Comment from: fallon, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

A small drop of boiling water dropped on the patient's foot, causing a large blister to form. Blister broke and now there is a relatively large raw area of skin on the foot. Have been treating affected area with antibiotic ointment and covering area with bandage at night. Affected area does not seem to be clearing up. Foot is also swollen.

Comment from: cpmt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a kitchen oil hand burn. I used soy sauce on it after washing with cold water. I wet a kitchen towel with regular soy sauce (not light) and held 1 or two minutes over the burn. After that, no pain, no blisters, only redness. Small burns can be minimized with soy sauce put immediately on where the burn happened.

Comment from: MASTERTH1EF, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I was working 3rd shift and just had started when my pressure washer engine seized up. I went to see why it stopped (before I knew the engine had seized) and not realizing, placed my hand directly on the overheated muffler. I instantly pulled my hand back and dunked it in a pool of water. Didn't realize just how bad it was until I noticed the skin smoking on the muffler. I went to the emergency room, and I found I had suffered 2nd degree burns (worst pain I've ever felt). They gave me some kind of silver cream and 30 Roxicodone. I returned to my job and finished my shift. Now I have a blister about the size of a ping pong ball and wandering if I should pop it. This is awful; night one is not looking so good.

Comment from: Lowprofile, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

My daughter had menstrual pains and decided to put some hot water in a water bottle and placed same on her stomach to enable her sleep. Horrifically, the water bottle burst in the middle, emptying the hot water on her stomach. I only have perfumed petroleum jelly, which I am told is not good for burns.

Comment from: DeeGee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 13

After swimming in a heated pool, I went into a hot tub. As I stepped in my toes felt a sharp feeling of pain and the water seemed very hot. I got out immediately and noticed my toes were very red. I did not experience pain at the time, but after almost two weeks the redness is still there and I am experiencing pain in the tips and top of my toes. I have been applying Polysporin and Aquaphor but at night I am experiencing tingling and my toes are sensitive to touch. I am also on an antibiotic doxycycline hyclate. I have not contacted a doctor.

Comment from: megreen60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was lighting a candle with a cheap lighter when I burnt the tips of my index and thumb of my left hand. I immediately put my hand under cold water they blistered up. That was last week; however on my thumb it's starting to look like there is blood under there; it's still throbbing. I have no fever and I did not break it.

Comment from: Teresa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

I was putting beef cubes into hot bacon grease to brown for beef stew, when a couple pieces dropped accidently and caused the hot grease to splash on my inside forearm causing a 5 inch long by 1/4 inch wide burn that blistered. I put my arm under cold water for about a minute to relieve the pain right away. The burn stung for about 2-3 hours but gradually subsided.

Comment from: vicky, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My sister had wire put in her back. The wire shorted and paralyzed her, and led to more surgery. Then she is told she has mental cancer, then bone cancer and chronic lymphatic cancer. I wonder if the burning inside cause the cellular change thus cancer.

Comment from: brony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had candle wax that was burning which fell on my hand and was flaming. I put it in water for one hour then went to the emergency room. The pain was very high and I was very light headed by that stage. I have since had the burn trimmed and they have put this silver dressing stuff on it. It's only been six days. I think it's a second degree burn because of the pain I had when first burnt. I have to keep it elevated all the time and keep putting water over the dressing.

Comment from: verdes22, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I was at a bonfire the other day and got too close to the fire. I basically fell in but caught myself on the logs which were basically just huge embers. The skin on the palm and six of my fingers have third degree burns on them. The skin on three of my fingers is very white and hard almost. The skin on the others are not as bad and the burns themselves are softer. The burn on my right palm looks like a blister about the size of a quarter. None of the burns are broken right now. I'm thinking about popping them all but am not sure yet. Surprisingly painless however.

Comment from: keyri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I spilled boiling oil on the top of my foot. It is the size of a deck of cards. Surprisingly it doesn't hurt, although now almost 3 weeks later and much triple antibiotic cream, it is starting to itch on the edges. I keep it covered as it is ugly and weepy. I find the skin is very tight over it and was white but now is flaking off and looking angry red. Not certain if 2nd or third, sounds like third almost.

Comment from: wanty, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

2 years ago at work, I knocked over a boiling cup of tea, the water went between the tongue of my safety boots and my trousers, resulting in the tongue actually welding itself to my leg. I managed to separate the skin from my boots and treated the lower part of my shin with lots of cold water, followed by lavender oil to re-hydrate the area. I went to the hospital who dressed the wound and two weeks later I went to the doctors who gave me a surgical sock to put on and some cream to rub in, after about a year I went to see my doctor because the horrific scar was still itching and my foot is still swollen. My doctor said that this was because I was overweight. I know I am overweight, but that does not do anything to heal my scar which currently is a mixture of dark brown scabs, dark purple skin, and around 5 inch long by three wide, any ideas how to treat this please, other than just saying you are fat like all doctors seem to say, never mind the burn.

Comment from: TNmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

A week ago I had brain surgery. The NICU nurse was administering potassium through my IV. It burned my forearm. There are two spots, each about an inch large which are black. It has been almost two weeks. I'm not seeing any improvement after the black scab formed. They didn't tell me anything to do for this. The surgery was performed in another state. The wound is pinkish/red all around the scabbed areas.

Comment from: angrymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I had my hair done a few months ago. The hairdresser used 40% peroxide with bleach and placed it directly on my scalp. I ended up getting a second degree burn all over my scalp with symptoms lasting about three weeks. The hair dresser told me that it was because my head was sensitive. I later found out that it is illegal to apply 40% peroxide to scalp. My head is now very sensitive and never was before.

Comment from: dwright, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I am a 48 year old diabetic male with burning sensation and numbness on hands and fingers.

Comment from: Frigglet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I poured scalding hot gravy on the palm of my hand.

Comment from: blueseyes1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

In 2002 I was at a baby shower and suffered two seizures. I came home and took a nap. When I got up in the late afternoon, my kids were there alone watching me. My husband had taken my son golfing. I got up and started to fix my two daughters some fries. I suffered another seizure and the deep fryer fell on top of me. My girls yelled out the window for help, but nobody wanted to help. Then someone came into our apartment, tore off my clothes, wrapped me up in blankets, and called 911. I was taken to the hospital, and later flown to a larger burn center. I was told that I was lucky to be alive – I had 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns on the right ride of the body. I received a skin graft. Less than a year later, my husband passed away.

Comment from: schmoopee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had pork in a smoker and at the 10 hour interval opened the smoker to add water to the pan. The water pan adhered to the smoker and the hot water that laid on the electric element poured over my foot. After about 1 hour my foot had blisters that were about 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches high. After putting it in cold water and treating it with bacitracin and bandages, I've kept it from bacteria but it seems to keep getting infected. The blisters have broken and keep reappearing. This burn is so painful.

Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female Published: August 22

I burned the inside of my forearm with a HOT curling iron about 3 weeks ago, have been using silvadene cream and a bandage 3/4ths of the time, trying to leave it open as much as possible. I work for a doctor and he feels like it is a 3rd degree burn. It is healing but is in a hard place to protect.

Comment from: careless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have a third degree burn on my thumb. I was cooking fried green tomatoes and let the oil get too hot before adding the tomatoes. :(

Comment from: maria, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My friend is burned over 60% of his body and he is in a burn unit.

Comment from: sandfeet63, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

I touched a radiator from overheated car.

Comment from: Adam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I put my hand on a muffler of a running small engine. It's blistered and white. It covers my palm and finger tips.

Comment from: Chiclett, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Yesterday I heated up my tea and went to take a sip and burnt my lips, tongue, corners of my mouth and down either side of my lower lip causing blisters.

Comment from: gwaite58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was using one of those types of heating pads that have metal fibers in them I bought at a drug store. I often use them for my bad back. They said you could leave them on for up to 8 hours. I applied it to my right hip cause that is where the pain was. I fell asleep with it on and slept on that side. I woke up in the morning with three very red burns to my hip. I cleaned with soap and water. I applied silver bacitracin and covered with gauze. They are oozing grayish fluid and bleeding sometimes. They hurt like hell as they are in an area where my clothes rub against them.

Comment from: Franmag, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

At thanksgiving I took a pan out of the oven and burned the lower half of my left hand. Got red, hurt really bad. I immersed my entire hand in cold water and rubbed butter (that's all I had), then since it was red and painful, covered the area with Noxema. This soothed the burning, kept Noxema on my hand for two days until the burning diminished. The skin didn't blister, but my palm is no longer soft, feels leathery and I have diminished sensation, but no scar.

Comment from: sbaker28, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was burned by fireworks. It was supposed to shoot straight up into the air, but it fell over and shot me in the leg, and then exploded on my foot. My leg isn't too bad, it's more of an impact wound with probably a first degree burn, but it's been over a week and my foot is still killing me.

Comment from: sukochick, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

3rd degree motorcycle burn on the right calf.

Comment from: badburn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I have second degree burns over 50% of my body. Huge blisters, can't move arms.

Comment from: tendertummy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have a second degree scald burn on my stomach that is one week and three days old. I've now gone through the blistering stages and the skin has sloughed off.

Comment from: CheshireCat, Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I went to rekindle a campfire at night since it was going out and getting dark, so as you can tell, it was pretty hard to see. I tripped over the grate while turning to put something in to restart it and fell in. Almost got my face or hair. Instead I ended up shoving my hands in the still-burning coals. My friend grabbed me and pulled me out as I was trying to get up and everyone nearby pounced on the coolers. My hands were literally melting the ice. Apparently cold water is bad for burns, but later on at the hospital I had to be given some serious amounts of morphine because they took the bowl of cold water my hand had been in. Burns without someway to cool off = deep, deeeeeep pain. Cold water really helped me, so I don't know about y'all. Anyway, sustained serious burns on my right hand and wrist and, somehow, only a tiny first degree on my left palm. Silvodene Silvodene Silvodene for those bad burns!! (Unless you're allergic to sulfa...)

Comment from: Adminhr, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Four weeks ago, I burned the bottom of my forearm, half way between my wrist and elbow. The next day I had a half dollar size blister, which I left alone as far as possible. It popped several days later. The whole burn gradually healed, except for the half dollar size blistered area. It itches and I try to gently rub the skin around the actual wound. However, it still oozes a but at that location. The skin is also bumpy on that location. I'm wondering if I have a deep skin infection or is it still just the healing process!

Comment from: Jack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

Put wood in fire stove and burn my hand. Outward skin not damaged but three months later I can still feel a burning sensation from the tips of my fingers to the back of my hand.

Comment from: babygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I burned my shin on the exhaust pipe of a motorcycle. It is about the size of a soft ball maybe a bit bigger. It is "weeping" and I cannot put hardly any pressure on my foot and leg to walk. It is blistering up but some of the skin has just separated off. It is weird on top of painful.

Comment from: Patricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I burned my hand on our wood burning stove. The burn is located between my wrist and thumb. It's not a large area, probably a square inch in size. After reading about burns, I'm quite sure I have mostly a 2nd degree burn and one very small area is a 3rd degree burn. I am keeping Neosporin on it, but I'm not sure if I should be covering it with a band aid. I am covering it because it's still quite sore and any clothing touching it is bothersome.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Your remedies for burned fingers did help. I'm just thankful I found this page. I have a bad steam burn from the microwave. Thanks for the tips. I'd also like to say this helped my anxiety level also. it was really interesting learning about how bad my burn was by reading burns on certain body parts and learning what 1st, 2nd, etc. burns were. Thank you!

Comment from: Jills, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was burned by a firework on the bottom of my foot and on the side of my leg. I have not seen a doctor yet I am getting worried about my leg. It was black when it first got burned and has not healed much. Now it is white with a red raised border around it.

Comment from: dumbamateurrocketeer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I was recently making an ethanol rocket, with a plastic 2 liter bottle and lemon extract as the ethanol fuel. I created a gap of nothing but air and very stupidly stuck my lighter into the neck of the bottle, igniting it and burning my first finger, and the webbing at the base of my second and third fingers. It's red, and the skin is constricted slightly, but there is no blistering as of about an hour or so. It hurts only intermittently. Is this simply a major first degree burn or a minor second degree burn? Use caution with amateur science please!

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

Second degree burn to my lower thigh. Stupidly wearing shorts and touched hot exhaust on the lawn mower.

Comment from: Student, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I got a 35%-40% third-degree burn when I was four years old. This has helped me understand what really happened to me.

Comment from: nana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I fell asleep with the lap top on my leg now I have blisters.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter