Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment

What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Girlsirish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I can't even believe that I found this! I have suffered from burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for over 7 years now, with no real information. My biggest question has been if anyone gets horrible breath when they are having an outbreak. When this first started I went to dentists and doctors. No one knew anything, nor could they figure out what it was. Then my son's ENT said to go home and google burning mouth syndrome. I was shocked! There it was! So my doctor put me on Zoloft and omeprazole. After several weeks I saw a great improvement and eventually it dissipated. However, every now and again, more now that I think I'm closing in on menopause, it comes back with a vengeance. And the first thing I notice is my breath. I do have GERD, so I'm sure that plays a factor, but it's awful, and sends my anxiety through the roof. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've also seen lots of amazing advice on here.

Comment from: zazz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I tried lidocaine for burning mouth syndrome; useless. Cause for me is vitamin deficiency; B vitamins and iron. Protein is low and electrolytes are out of balance. I discovered there are windows of opportunity to eat. Shovel food down as fast as possible. Window closes, burning returns. Easiest foods to eat are cheesy potatoes (add powdered milk for extra protein and calcium) and ice cream. Multivitamin, B complex, and iron help. Exercise caution, difficulty swallowing may happen. Don't go out to eat, people stare.

Comment from: jg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am so excited to share what has reduced my burning mouth syndrome symptoms by 95 percent! My doctor told me to stop all alcohol and caffeine, to switch to old-fashioned tooth paste that is not teeth-whitening, and to take 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil, rubbing it around on the burning areas with the tongue, until it melts. Take nothing by mouth to prevent washing it away. I do this before going to sleep at night.

Comment from: Lily, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have suffered with burning mouth syndrome for over 2 1/2 years. It started out of the blue and had not let up significantly. I went to an ENT over a year ago and he increased my Neurontin that I already took for sciatic nerve pain. I had some slight improvement for a while but now it is back with a vengeance. My tongue gets a yellowish cream colored coating when it is really burning bad. I use the Miracle mouth wash sometimes several times a day. My taste has been severely altered, I cannot eat citrus, highly salted foods, cinnamon gums or candies or carbonated beverages unless they have been diluted by ice. My medications have been excluded by process of elimination. I do have a dry mouth and drink tea all the time which is diluted. I just don't know what else to do. I saw someone on this forum that had had this for 12 years and this terrifies me. Some days it is so painful. Looking for help.

Comment from: Jen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had burning mouth syndrome for several weeks and finally realized it was due to GERD! I was diagnosed with silent GERD 3 years ago due to chronic laryngitis. I only took omeprazole when I noticed laryngitis coming on. When my mouth began burning I was at my wit's end. After suffering for over a month it dawned on me that maybe it was caused by my silent GERD. I pulled out my omeprazole and within 3 days my burning mouth was gone! I hope this helps you!

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.