Patient Comments: Bunions - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bunions. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: cwrunner, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 70 year old male and have been jogging since 1976. I have run marathons and many 10Ks. Two years ago I developed very painful bunions, one on the left big toe and one on the right little toe. For 6 months I tried 3 different shoe makers and widths. I got no relief, so last December (2012) I stopped running and have moved to a recumbent stationary bike for exercise plus my normal weight lifting and yoga. Two days ago I went for a 3 mile run and the pain came back, even with toe guards and holes cut in my shoes at the point of pressure. I don't much care for the bike as a form of exercise and am looking for a remedy.

Comment from: Badger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am now 50 years old and started developing a bunion on my right foot at the age of about 25. I t got progressively worse for about 20 years, and was often red and sore. I learned about wearing bigger shoes about 5 years ago and that helped a lot. I now wear size 12 shoes even though my feet are really 10s, and I always wear an extra wide one. I always try the shoe out to make sure it doesn't rub the bunion. But the really interesting thing is I have had a variety of arthritic conditions in various joints for about the same length of time I've had the bunion, and about 2 years ago had to stop eating wheat gluten because of stomach problems. After I stopped eating wheat gluten, all of my arthritic joint problems went away and so did my bunion inflammation and pain. The toe joint is still not shaped right, but there is no pain at all in 2 years since I stopped eating gluten.

Comment from: Magieann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have had a bunion for approximately 12 years. The area was sore when I first got the bunion, but since then providing I wear sensible shoes I have no pain, so have decided to leave well alone. I wonder if it is unusual to have a very obvious bunion with no pain.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have a bunion, and I often feel as if the inside of it -- where my bone is -- is burning. It is very painful, and I stand for 10 hours a day on my job, and not to mention when I come home and have to clean the house. It seems to be getting worse every year. I first noticed it about a year or two ago.

Comment from: tjinak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I've endured bunions since high school, now 44. I am a runner and afraid that if I have the surgery that my running days will be over. I've read such mixed comments about the efficiency. Some folks talk about losing flexion in the joint between the toe and metatarsals. Using orthotics has helped with the pain but less so each year. As others have commented finding shoes is really tough, so long super cute stylish shoes, even flats! I find NAOT shoes to be comfortable and cute with lots of support on the metatarsals which seems most important.

Comment from: Medicinka, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

It bothers me greatly to see reason for bunion is tight fitting shoes and stilettos or pointy shoes. Why can't they just say the cause is the shoe industry where they make shoes that look like they are rounded, squared, short heeled, etc., but do contribute to bunions because of the poor arch support, poor design by not making them properly; they don't allow for toe spread within the shoe. And even if you get a size larger then they'd be too long so you can't wear those either. I blame the shoe industry for killing my feet with bunions and ruining them for good. Now I walk around in pain.

Comment from: ojb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had bunion surgery in May. The doctors are saying that I have bone disease because of the surgery.

Comment from: no_bone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had bunions on both feet, and the surgeon decided to remove them both. It was a day surgery, and with 10 staples on the left foot, and 11 on the right, I was wheel-chaired from the hospital to the car, and was given a pain prescription. The pain was unbearable for the first four days. The pills made me sleep for about an hour, but I had to deal with the pain for three. The fourth day, I was able to walk about - gingerly, and had a "sit shower" with my feet on a stool. Thank goodness for hand held showers! I kept my feet elevated, and had an ice pack on them continuously. After the first week, the wrapping (no cast) came off, new dressings applied, but the staples remained as the incision was still damp. From then on, I changed my dressings daily, applying a bit of polysporin to each side of the incision, and the pain pills were a thing of the past. At the end of the second week, the staples were removed, and I was walking very well. But still had to keep the incisions dry, which I did, and continued the "sit shower" apply ointment and clean dressings. Exactly one month to the day, all the scabbing had come off, but there is still some bruising, and numbness around the incision. I still exercise my toes and it has been over a month and a half. So, except for the first four days of pain, it really hasn't been that bad.

Comment from: eiball, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am a 46 year old woman and I have a bunion on my right foot. It has grown over the years but now it's becoming increasingly painful to walk. Even my sneakers hurt me. My mom had them on both feet and had surgery pretty late in life but it helped her tremendously. I went to a doctor about mine a few years ago and after taking x-rays he said I didn't have “a typical bunion" he showed me many x-rays of patients with "normal bunions" and then showed a film of someone who has my problem. I was told it would be a long recovery (10 weeks of no pressure on my foot) and a full cast up to the knee. I have small children so I could not do it at the time. Now the pain is getting progressively worse everyday. I feel like my second and third toes are broken every time I walk. I can't even wear sneakers anymore. I hate the way my feet look and I never wear any kind of sandals. I've heard people make comments when I'm at the beach about how ugly my foot looks. I've also had extensive back surgery 2 years ago and my question is could my foot make my back worse if I don't get it taken care of? I now walk on the outside of my right foot because I can't put any pressure on my toes without pain. I can put up with the pain for a while but will my back problem return if I don't fix my foot? I'm open to any advice. I also suffer from blisters between my big toe and second toe from rubbing together all this time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment from: neecee1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am currently recovering from my second bunion procedure. I have had bunions since I was little, possibly around 6, and dealt with them throughout my teenage years. I've been embarrassed, been to doctors, and dealt with pain. They were pretty severe. So, finally at 19, I had surgery on my left and right foot. Wow, did they look better! There was less pain, and the recovery is nothing and worth it for having a better foot in return. It's been three years, and they slowly crept back. Recently, I went on to schedule two more surgeries, and the process of better feet and no pain will be on its way. The first surgery was more extensive; the second time around it was just a little cleaning up and moving bones around. Oh, and if you have hammer toes, get them taken care of at the same time; the recovery is the same. I am scheduling my final foot surgery for March. However, this time I will be smarter. My advice: Go for the surgery, (insurance usually covers it if there is pain involved) and get orthotics after to prevent them from coming back. This time I am getting the orthotics and protecting my bunions from returning.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Have had bunions all my life. They are sometimes painful. Had an x-ray of feet today for an unrelated broken toe. Bunions showing signs of arthritis. Occasionally painful. Distance runner, not entertaining the idea of recovery from surgery. The broken toe is bad enough. Heal already! (3 weeks)

Comment from: Lara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I'm 20 and I have had bunions on both feet since I was 15. Apparently, it is very rare for someone my age to have such severe ones. My feet constantly hurt and make me want to stay seated, but doing that makes my knees far worse. I'm looking into the surgery because the pain and I feel it would be better to do it while I'm young. I'm the only one in my family that has them, as far as I know, so I don't have much to go of off.

Comment from: scdanz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had bunion surgery 15 years ago and was wondering if it is possible to have a second bunion surgery on the same foot.

Comment from: navytiger, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

Well, I have had bunions for the last 15 years at least. They get worse as I get older, and I am only 25. I am to the point that no shoe fits my foot. I can put my foot into a shoe and immediately have to take it out because as soon as I put my weight on it, the pain is unbearable. Mine is genetic. Almost every woman has had them in my family, but no one has lived with them as long as I have, and believe me I can't figure out why I have lived with it this long. There are day that I go to bed, and the next morning I get up and they still hurt!

Comment from: inpaininsane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I just had surgery to get a bunion removed off my right toe. I've lived with a bunion for about 12 years now. My only comfort to rid the pain was when I was able to take off my shoes at the end of the day. Oh, what a relief! I'm fresh out of surgery for about five days now and in the healing process. My only concern now is about the scarring, but that was to be expected.

Comment from: Suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My mother had bunions and varicose veins, and I also have both. I find it very difficult to get shoes that do not hurt my bunions. Fashionable shoes or shoes with heels are out of the question. I love dancing and mountain walking and am finding these interests more and more difficult to do because of the pain my bunions cause. I am considering surgery, but I am concerned that this may not cure the condition and may make matters worse.

Comment from: k, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had bunions on both of my feet around the age of nine. Im fourteen now and have had one operated on and I am waiting for my next operation. The operation turned out successful but with scars and some numbness on the side of my foot. The bone on the side of my foot has not completely disapeared but it is better than what it was. I didn't experience much pain after the first operation either, so now I'm just waiting to get my right foot done.

Comment from: yungQB, Published: August 17

I've had bunions to as far as I can remember and I'm only 16 years old. I never knew what they were and I have always wondered why my feet look the way they look until now. I have very minor pain, but I hate the way they look. Also I'm a very active person, I'm constantly playing a sport and I'm worried that it will get worse. I plan on paying a visit to my doctor real soon.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 30 years old, have had bunions since I was a child. I wish I would have had the surgery back then, now it is impossible. I make my living on my feet! I am a runner, so my feet are strong but every year they hurt a bit more. I believe I am suffering a stress fracture in one. Young people-get surgery now! Don't wait!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 14 and I have recently been told I have bunions. The best thing you can do is ask your medic to fully explain what might have to be done. My left big toe is 100 degrees in the wrong direction. I have been told surgery will definitely be an option when I have stopped growing. My Aunt had them to so I know for me it is hereditary.

Comment from: Kara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am currently 14 years old, female and I have dealt with my bunion my whole life. They are on both feet and are sometimes painful. I play lots of sports and always have. It is really annoying going shoe shopping sometimes because of my bunions they will not work. Looking at numerous sites it looks as if I have a mild bunion. Resting seems not to heel them. I think surgery at this point is the best bet.

Comment from: nancy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My Mother had surgery for a bunion over two years ago and has suffered with severe foot pain ever since. Now her other foot is causing her severe pain. She recently saw a foot specialist who wants to remove both of her two big toes. I wonder what that would do to her balance. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what could possibly help her.

Comment from: AMERICAN WOMAN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am a 44 year old female with bunions on both feet for all my adult life. If I had it to do all over again I would have the surgery. Ladies, it does not get any better. The pain never goes away and they will just get bigger and more noticeable. I was always embarrassed, and I still am, to show my feet and wear the "cute, and (sexy heels). When I did, I would have to drink the pain away when at a club dancing. I loved to dance. I would go get the surgery early if I could do it all again. Just feeling good about yourself and being able to show your feet without the bad feelings would be so worth it! I might still even get the surgery!

Comment from: Little Mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I had bunions since I was a teen. Every day for the past 3 years I was in intense pain sometimes also at night, shoes didn't fit, never wore sandals, and was embarrassed to be at the beach or swimming. Finally I had surgery on both feet within a week apart. They put pins in them and I was laid up for about 2 or 3 weeks. The doctor recommended 6, but I had to go back to work. Now a year later. Yeah!! No pain every day. My shoes fit and don't leave a bunion imprint. I wore sandals and my feet are still not beautiful, but at least I can walk on the beach or in the swimming pool with out feeling like my feet are deformed.

Comment from: Maryanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 47 and have had bunions for years. Wearing size 9 wide shoes is a must--regular size hurts, but most of the styles are somewhat unattractive and I'm tired of being so limited not to mention the pain that still comes and goes, even in bare feet. Living in the south, we have a long summer so most of the time, I wear stylish flip-flops and the bunions are exposed. My patience is wearing thin, though, and pretty soon I'll give in to "the operation."

Comment from: FSG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have a bunion on my right foot. It started to swell, and over the years got increasingly painful if I wore heels. Then, coincidentally, I started practicing yoga, and to my surprise one of the benefits was that it eased my bunion. In yoga, we do a lot of stretching of our feet, which seems to have helped (not mention the overall body realignment that probably played a role as well). The bunion is reduced in size (though not gone) and it no longer caused me pain, even if I walk in heels. I don't know that yoga is the answer for everyone, but it might be worth a try before going the surgery route.

Published: September 17

I am only 21 and am mortified by the bunions on both of my feet. I am embarrassed to wear sandals in the summer. When I was 17 I went to camp and heard all the girls laughing hysterically and it turned out that they could see my feet from under the shower curtain in the community bathroom. It was the most horrible experience of my life. I have tried everything the night time bunion guard, the toe separators, everything and nothing has worked. It's gotten to the point where I don't even buy expensive shoes anymore because after I wear them for a month or two and they are permanently stretched out on the sides in the shape of my bunions.

Comment from: Female Published: August 14

My daughter is only 11 years old and has bunions on both feet on either side and has had them for a long time. I myself had an operation for bunions when aged 14 so this seems to be hereditary. My father also had them. Will my daughter have to go in for surgery? She has very tender feet but no real pain as yet with the bunions.

Comment from: lassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My bunions suddenly showed up in high school, and it's much worse on the right side. It's hard to wear most of my shoes, especially when going out, but I'm getting used to it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter