People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs such as deteriorating teeth, sore throat, constipation, thinning hair, and dehydration. Treatment of bulimia may involve cognitive behavior therapy, family therapy, nutritional counseling, and medication. Read more: Bulimia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Slideshow: Visual Guide to Binge Eating Disorder
Learn about signs, symptoms, treatment, and recovery for this eating disorder. Get to know how binge eating affects emotional and...
Eating Disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
Learn about different types of eating disorders. Discover the warning signs of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia. Read...
Related Disease Conditions
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes...
Constipation (Home Remedies and Medications for Relief)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Second Source article from Government...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Protect Your Teeth: 19 Bad Dental Habits to Avoid
Bad dental habits can wreck your teeth. Teeth grinding, chewing on ice, playing sports without a mouthguard, and eating and...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Bulimia - Describe Your Experience
Please describe your experience with bulimia.Post View 29 Comments
Bulimia - Treatment
What kinds of treatment have you or a relative received for bulimia?Post View 17 Comments
Bulimia - Complications
What complications did you or someone you know experience because of bulimia?Post View 1 Comment
Bulimia - Symptoms
Did your child, friend, or relative have bulimia? What were the signs that indicated something was wrong?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Weight Loss
- Missed Menstrual Period
- Increased Appetite
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Eating Disorders: Overcoming Them
- Eating Disorders: Anorexia and Bulimia
- Eating Disorders -- Your Child's Food Attitude
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- citalopram, Celexa
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, MAOI)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- topiramate, Topamax, Qudexy XR, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- fluvoxamine (Luvox and Luvox CR have been discontinued)
- imipramine, Tofranil, Tofranil-PM
- desipramine, Norpramin
Prevention & Wellness
- Women Driven to Be Thinner When Husband Is Hot
- That Store Mannequin May Be Anorexic
- Are You Raising an 'Emotional Eater'?
- Keep an Eye Out for Eating Disorders in Loved Ones
- Study Explores Electrical Brain Stimulation to Treat Bulimia
- Many Women With Eating Disorders Do Recover, Study Finds
- Body Acceptance Rises for Women
- 3 Treatments Seem to Help Combat Binge-Eating Disorder
- Eating Disorders Seem More Common in Schools Where Girls Predominate
- Study Confirms Eating Disorders' Deadly Toll
- Kids Find Help for Anorexia More Often Than 'Pro-Ana' Posts on YouTube
- Bullies May Face Higher Odds of Eating Disorders: Study
- Parents Should Be Involved in Teen's Bulimia Treatment: Study
- Health Tip: Talking to Your Child About Eating Disorders
- Bodybuilder Supplement Abuse a Growing Concern
- ADHD Tied to Higher Risk of Eating Disorder in Kids and Teens
- Migraine Drug May Up Risk of Eating Disorders in Some Teens
- ADHD Drug Might Help Treat Binge-Eating Disorder, Study Suggests
- Autoimmune Diseases Tied to Eating Disorders
- Men With Eating Disorders Often Ignore Symptoms
- Addiction a Risk After Weight Loss Surgery
- Eating Disorders in Women Over 50
- Preteen Food Choices May Help Predict Eating Disorders Later
- Life Transitions May Trigger Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders Can Last Well Beyond Teen Years
- Binge Eating Often Overlooked in Men
- Eating Disorders Affect Fertility, Pregnancy
- Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia
- Misperception of Body Weight Poses Health Risks
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter