People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs such as deteriorating teeth, sore throat, constipation, thinning hair, and dehydration. Treatment of bulimia may involve cognitive behavior therapy, family therapy, nutritional counseling, and medication.Read more: Bulimia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Eating Disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
Learn about different types of eating disorders. Discover the warning signs of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia. Read...
Visual Guide to Binge Eating Disorder
Learn about signs, symptoms, treatment, and recovery for this eating disorder. Get to know how binge eating affects emotional and...
Related Disease Conditions
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Nausea and vomiting after eating are symptoms that may be caused by many conditions. Antiemetics are drugs that help get rid of...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Second Source article from Government...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Protect Your Teeth: 19 Bad Dental Habits to Avoid
Bad dental habits can wreck your teeth. Teeth grinding, chewing on ice, playing sports without a mouthguard, and eating and...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Weight Loss
- Increased Appetite
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Missed Menstrual Period
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Eating Disorders: Overcoming Them
- Eating Disorders: Anorexia and Bulimia
- Eating Disorders -- Your Child's Food Attitude
Medications & Supplements
- MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, MAOI)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- citalopram, Celexa
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- topiramate, Topamax, Qudexy XR, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR
- imipramine (Tofranil)
- desipramine, Norpramin
Prevention & Wellness
- Demi Lovato in Hospital After Drug Overdose
- How to Spot an Eating Disorder
- Women Driven to Be Thinner When Husband Is Hot
- That Store Mannequin May Be Anorexic
- Are You Raising an 'Emotional Eater'?
- Keep an Eye Out for Eating Disorders in Loved Ones
- Study Explores Electrical Brain Stimulation to Treat Bulimia
- Many Women With Eating Disorders Do Recover, Study Finds
- Body Acceptance Rises for Women
- 3 Treatments Seem to Help Combat Binge-Eating Disorder
- Eating Disorders Seem More Common in Schools Where Girls Predominate
- Study Confirms Eating Disorders' Deadly Toll
- Kids Find Help for Anorexia More Often Than 'Pro-Ana' Posts on YouTube
- Bullies May Face Higher Odds of Eating Disorders: Study
- Parents Should Be Involved in Teen's Bulimia Treatment: Study
- Health Tip: Talking to Your Child About Eating Disorders
- Bodybuilder Supplement Abuse a Growing Concern
- ADHD Tied to Higher Risk of Eating Disorder in Kids and Teens
- Migraine Drug May Up Risk of Eating Disorders in Some Teens
- ADHD Drug Might Help Treat Binge-Eating Disorder, Study Suggests
- Autoimmune Diseases Tied to Eating Disorders
- Men With Eating Disorders Often Ignore Symptoms
- Addiction a Risk After Weight Loss Surgery
- Eating Disorders in Women Over 50
- Preteen Food Choices May Help Predict Eating Disorders Later
- Life Transitions May Trigger Eating Disorders
- Eating Disorders Can Last Well Beyond Teen Years
- Binge Eating Often Overlooked in Men
- Eating Disorders Affect Fertility, Pregnancy
- Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia
- Misperception of Body Weight Poses Health Risks
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter