Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and Lyme disease. Though most reactions to insect bites and stings are mild, some reactions may be life-threatening. Preventing bug bites and stings with insect repellant, wearing the proper protective attire, and not wearing heavily scented perfumes when in grassy, wooded, and brushy areas is key. Read more: Bug Bites and Stings Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Skin Quiz: Acne, Dry Skin, Dandruff & More
What's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!...
Picture of Bee, Wasp, Hornet, Yellow Jacket Stings
Although many different types of insects in the United States are able to inflict a poisonous bite or sting (meaning they are...
Picture of Dermatitis From Common Carpet Beetle
The common carpet beetle is not common in modern well-sanitized homes, and even where it is abundant, effects from it are not...
Picture of Brown Recluse Spider Bite
Spiders, timid creatures for all their fierce looks, would rather entertain insects in their parlors than attack humans. See a...
Picture of Tick Bite Granuloma
Sometimes at the site of a tick bite, a persistent firm papulonodular lesion may develop. See a picture of Tick Bite Granuloma...
Picture of Fire Ant Stings
Erythematous macules with central pustule formation 24 hours after bites in the same child. See a picture of Fire Ant Stings and...
Picture of Urticaria
This is a close-up view of wheals with white-to-light-pink color centrally and peripheral erythema. See a picture of Urticaria...
Picture of Black Widow Spider Bites
The black widow spider produces a protein venom that affects the victim's nervous system. See a picture of Black Widow Spider...
Picture of Fire Ant Bites
The fire ant sting typically causes red hive-like lesions that burn and itch. See a picture of Fire Ant Bites and learn more...
Picture of Brown Recluse Spider Bites
Brown recluse spider bites often go unnoticed initially because they are usually painless bites. See a picture of Brown Recluse...
Picture of Flea Bites
Some people are very sensitive to flea bites -- but scratching can cause a wound or infection. See a picture of Flea Bites and...
Summer Skin-Hazard Pictures: Stings, Bites, Burns, and More
Don't let spider bites, sunburn, poison ivy, chigger bites, and jellyfish stings sabotage your healthy skin. Learn how you can...
Spider Bites: Black Widow vs. Brown Recluse First Aid
Learn how to identify black widow and brown recluse spiders. There are many symptoms associated with a black widow or brown...
Lyme Disease Symptoms, Rash, Treatments
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi transmitted to humans through infected deer ticks. Lyme disease...
12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips
Painful headaches can ruin your productivity and quality of life. But what triggers headaches and migraines? Learn some...
Migraine or Headache? Migraine Symptoms, Triggers, Treatment
What does a migraine feel like? Discover the difference between headaches and migraines. Learn to spot migraine symptoms early,...
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: See Photos of the Rash
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a disease carried by ticks that can be fatal if not treated. See pictures of the symptoms of...
8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures
Are you always prepared for a first aid crisis? See which basic first aid items to pack to treat minor scrapes, cuts, and stings...
Zika Virus Symptoms, Pregnancy, Treatments, Vaccine
A quick guide to the Zika virus, its causes, symptoms, and treatment options. Find out how Zika is transmitted by mosquitoes,...
IMAGESSee pictures of bug, insect and animal bites and stings that can cause allergic reactions and medical emergencies See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Insect Sting Allergies
The majority of stinging insects in the United States are from bees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, and fire ants. Severity of...
Hives (Urticaria & Angioedema)
Hives, also called urticaria, is a raised, itchy area of skin that is usually a sign of an allergic reaction. The allergy may be...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Foreign Objects or Insects In the Ear
Objects or insects in the ear can be placed in the ear by patients themselves, or an insect crawling in the ear. Ear wax can also...
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
West Nile Virus
West Nile virus (West Nile encephalitis) is a brain infection caused by a virus. People become infected with the virus after...
Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction that affects a number of different areas of the body at one time, and can be fatal....
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Spider Bites (Black Widow and Brown Recluse)
Most spiders in the United States are harmless; however, black widow and brown recluse spider bites may need medical treatment....
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick-borne disease that causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash, headache, and muscle...
Viral Hemorrhagic Fever
Viral hemorrhagic fever(s), or VHFs are a group of illnesses caused by distinct families of viruses. Many of these viruses are...
Sepsis (blood poisoning) is a potentially deadly infection with signs and symptoms that include elevated heart rate, low or high...
Necrotizing fasciitis is also known as a flesh-eating bacterial infection, Fournier's gangrene, suppurative fasciitis, and...
Bee and Wasp Sting
Bees, wasps, and fire ants are related insects that belong to the Hymenoptera order. There are thousands of species of wasps...
Chiggers (Bites) Symptoms, Pictures, Home Remedies, Medicine, and Cure
Chiggers are a mite belonging to the Trombiculidae family. Chiggers are most commonly found in grassy fields, gardens, parks,...
Ticks are known transmitters of disease to humans and animals. Tick-borne diseases include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted...
The most common cause of a black eye a trauma injury to the face or head. Most black eyes are minor and heal on their own;...
Chagas Disease (American Trypanosomiasis or Kissing Bug Disease)
Chagas disease is an infection caused by the T. cruzi parasite. Symptoms of Chagas disease include rash, swollen lymph nodes,...
Yellow fever is an infectious disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes. Side effects are rare with the yellow fever vaccine....
Are Bedbugs Contagious?
Bedbugs are brown wingless insects that feed on human blood. The are typically found around a person's sleeping area. Bedbugs...
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Powassan Virus Disease
Powassan (POW) virus disease is a rare tick-borne disease that causes symptoms such as confusion, memory problems, fever,...
Sweet Syndrome (Acute Febrile Neutrophilic Dermatosis)
Sweet syndrome (acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis) is a skin condition that sometimes occurs due to an immune system response...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Insect bites: The Buzz on Summer Stings and Bites
- Bumps on Skin
- Foot Pain
- Swollen Ankles and/or Swollen Feet
- Heel Pain
- Arm Pain
- Swollen Eyes
- Swollen Lip
- Hip Pain
- Penile Itching
- Leg Sores
- Finger Pain
- Hand Pain
- Swollen Testicles (Testicular Swelling)
- Red Spots on the Skin
- Penile Pain
- Changes in Skin of the Breast
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Doryx)
- hydrocortisone valerate
- pramoxine (Itch-X, PrameGel, Orax, Sarna Sensitive, and Others)
- Over-the-Counter Products
- EpiPen (epinephrine auto-injector, EpiPen Jr)
- calamine and zinc oxide (Calamine Lotion)
- Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood)
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
Prevention & Wellness
- Bedbugs Date Back to T. Rex's Time
- Health Tip: Insect Repellent Precautions
- How to Avoid Skin Problems When You Garden
- Animal, Bug Bites a Billion-Dollar Burden
- Health Tip: Identify Bug Bites
- Health Tip: Warmer Weather Triggers Rashes
- Health Tip: Avoiding Lyme Disease
- Health Tip: Using Bug Repellent
- Swatting Teaches Mosquitoes a Lesson They Won't Forget
- Don't Let Bugs Dampen Your Outdoor Fun
- Richer Houses Home to Wider Range of Bugs
- Heating Luggage Sends Bedbugs Packing
- Health Tip: Avoiding Insect Stings
- Average U.S. Home Harbors About 100 Types of Insects, Other Critters
- Health Tip: Coping With Mosquito Bites
- Watch Out for Disease-Carrying Insects This Summer
- Health Tip: Caring for Bug Bites
- Do You Need a Doctor for Bug Bites and Bee Stings?
- Health Tip: Using Insect Repellent
- Stay Out of Stinging Insects' Way This Summer
- Brown Recluse Spider Bites on the Rise, Expert Warns
- Health Tip: Soothing Bug Bites
- Guard Your Kids Against Bug Bites This Summer
- Health Tip: Avoid Bug Bites
- Many Allergic to Fire Ant's Sting Don't Get Preventive Shots
- Health Tip: Defend Against Insect Bites While Traveling Abroad
- Mosquitoes Can Become Desensitized to DEET
- Health Tip: Protect Kids From Mosquito Bites
- Health Tip: Applying Insect Repellent
- CDC Warns of Another Emerging Tick-Borne Threat
- Deadly Black Widow Spider Edged Aside in California
- Over-the-Counter Bug Bite Remedies Don't Work: Report
- Bug Bites May Have Caused Zebras' Stripes
- FDA OKs Test for Dengue Fever
- Bedbugs Biting All Over U.S.