Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, or airways that lead to the lungs. Acute bronchitis is sometimes referred to as a chest cold and can be caused by several types of viruses. Bacterial infections can also cause acute bronchitis. Bronchitis symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, chest pain, chest soreness, sore throat, watery eyes, fatigue, mild headache, chills, and body aches. Fever may be present. The cough may bring up sputum, known as a productive cough.
Chronic bronchitis is bronchitis that lasts a long time and is most common in smokers. The main symptoms of chronic bronchitis are cough, difficulty breathing (dyspnea), and wheezing.
Related Symptoms & Signs
Other bronchitis symptoms and signs
- Body Aches
- Chest Pain
- Chest Soreness
- Shortness of Breath
- Sore Throat
- Sputum Production
- Watery Eyes
Main Article on Bronchitis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Respiratory Illnesses: 13 Types of Lung Infections
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
What's Bronchitis? Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Explore bronchitis symptoms,...
Examples of Medications for Bronchitis Symptoms and Signs
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil)
- beclomethasone hfa inhaler - oral, Qvar
- budesonide (oral inhalation, Pulmicort, Pulmicort Flexhaler)
- fluticasone propionate oral inhaler (Flovent)
- formoterol powder in capsule - oral inhalation, Foradil
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- mometasone (Elocon)
- Rifadin (rifampin, isoniazid and pyrazinamide)
- salmeterol (Serevent)
- Side Effects of Elixophyllin (theophylline)
- Side Effects of Floxin (ofloxacin)
- Tazicef (ceftazidime)
- umeclidinium bromide
Lung Disease/COPD Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter