Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison with chronic bronchitis, which lasts for months to years. Causes of acute bronchitis include viruses and bacteria, which means it can be contagious. Acute bronchitis caused by environmental factors such as pollution or cigarette smoke is not contagious. Common symptoms for acute bronchitis include nasal congestion, cough, headache, sore throat, muscle aches, and fatigue.
Acute bronchitis in children also my include runny nose, fever, and chest pain. Treatment for acute bronchitis are OTC pain relievers, cough suppressants (although not recommended in children), and rest. Infrequently antibiotics may be prescribed to treat acute bronchitis.Read more: Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
Common Cold Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take this quiz to learn the truth behind the infectious, contagious, uncomfortable disease known as the common cold. Test your...
Cold & Flu Quiz: Influenza vs. Common Cold
Aches? Pain? Fever? This Cold & Flu Quiz tests your knowledge on the difference between coming down with the common cold and...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
Asthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
What is asthma? Learn about asthma, a chronic inflammation disorder of the bronchiole tubes (airways). Discover information about...
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
Common Respiratory Illnesses
Is your cough caused by a cold, flu, pneumonia or something else? Learn causes of respiratory infection like bronchitis,...
A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference
Learn common symptoms of a cold and the flu. Discover the difference between a cold and the flu. Read about cold and flu...
Cold and Flu: Finding Relief for Your Cough
Remedies for coughing to relieve symptoms, thin mucus, and clear phlegm include cough syrup and honey in hot water. Use...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
The more you exercise, the better you'll feel with COPD. Breathe easier with these 10 exercises from WebMD....
Cold, Fever and Flu Treatment in Children: Medications and Home Remedies
Colds and fevers are some of the most common ailments in children. Learn common cold symptoms, treatment options, over the...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
What’s Causing Your Indoor Air Pollution?
Do you know what pollutants are threatening your indoor air quality? Learn about exposure to carbon monoxide, radon, pesticides,...
Home Remedies for the Flu or a Cold
Watch this pictures slideshow and learn about home remedies for sick children. Get tips on how to treat a sore throat, cough,...
Related Disease Conditions
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
Sore Throat Home Remedies (Soothe, Pain Relief)
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI)
An upper respiratory infection is a contagious infection of the structures of the upper respiratory tract, which includes the...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Sinus Headache Pain, Symptoms, Treatments, Remedies, and Cures
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
Group B Strep
Group B strep are bacteria called Streptococcus agalactiae that may sometimes cause infections both in a pregnant woman and her...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Influenza (flu) is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache,...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Adenovirus 14 (Killer Cold Virus)
Adenovirus infection, particularly Ad14, or the "killer cold virus" has been on the increase in the past two years. Symptoms...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a highly contagious viral infection. Symptoms include fever and nasal congestion and...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Adenovirus infections are common and often have no symptoms. Adenoviruses cause illnesses like bladder infections, diarrhea,...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Adult-onset asthma is asthma that is diagnosed in people over 20 years of age. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, shortness of...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Local ResourcesFind a local Pulmonologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Cold & Flu FAQs
- Common Cold FAQs
- Bronchitis FAQs
- Killer Cold Virus (Adenovirus Strains)
- Emphysema from Crack Cocaine?
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Doctors Answer Lung Condition Questions
- Acute Bronchitis Treatment Treatment Medications and Home Remedies
- Acute Bronchitis: How Long Do Symptoms Last?
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- cephalexin (Keflex)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- benzonatate (Tessalon Perles)
- albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil)
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid)
- guaifenesin (Robitussin, Mucinex)
- clarithromycin, Biaxin
- cefuroxime, Ceftin, Zinacef
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
- terbutaline (Brethine)
- guaifenesin and codeine (Cheratussin, Iophen)
- Bactrim vs. Cefdinir
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- penicillin V, (Veetids and Pen-Vee-K have been discontinued)
- fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine, Allegra-D
- cefprozil (Cefzil)
- Cefdinir vs. Keflex
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- guaifenesin and dextromethorphan hydrobromide (Robitussin and Mucinex)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- Advair Diskus, Advair HFA (fluticasone and salmeterol oral inhaler)
- guaifenesin and phenylephrine, Sudafed PE Non-Drying Sinus Caplets, (Entex, discontinued)
- dextromethorphan/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- dextromethorphan liquid - oral, Benylin, Creomulsion, Delsym
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- guaifenesin/theophylline/pseudoephedrine elixir - oral, Broncomar-1
- guaifenesin/phenylephrine - oral, Endal, Numonyl, Sinupan
- guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine - oral, Duratuss, Maxifed
Prevention & Wellness
- Daily Aspirin Might Ease COPD Flare-Ups
- Health Tip: Identifying Symptoms of Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Caring for Bronchitis
- Vaping Medical Pot May Not Ease COPD Symptoms: Study
- More Than 40% of Americans Breathe Dirty Air: Report
- What Really Works to Fight a Stubborn Cough?
- Kids' Colds Linked to Asthma, Lung Problems Later
- Regular Use of Bleach Linked to COPD
- Steroid Pills Usually Ineffective Against Bronchitis, Study Finds
- First-Try Antibiotics Now Fail in 1 in 4 Adult Pneumonia Cases
- Vitamin D Linked to Lower Risk of Respiratory Infections
- Politics Behind CDC's Cancellation of Climate Change Conference, Experts Say
- Former President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized
- Hot Chili Peppers May Extend Life: Study
- Is It a Cold or the Flu? Here's How to Tell
- Retail Health Clinics Fail to Curb Routine ER Visits, Study Finds
- CDC Reveals Top 5 Causes of Death
- A New Antibiotic to the Rescue?
- Too Many People Still Take Unneeded Antibiotics: Study
- Cleaner Air in California May Mean Healthier Kids: Study
- Smog's Health Effects Persist for Decades, Study Finds
- Blood Test Might Predict When Antibiotics Won't Help
- No Antibiotics for Common Respiratory Infections: Experts
- Health Tip: Air Pollution Can Harm Your Health
- Health Tip: Who Gets Pneumonia?
- Health Tip: Easing the Discomfort of Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Secondhand Smoke Poses Danger
- Doctors May Play Big Role in Antibiotic Overuse: Study
- Antibiotics Myths Still Common Among Parents
- That Lingering Cough Could Be Bronchitis
- Rural Poor Bear Higher Burden of COPD, Study Finds
- More Evidence of Long-Term Illness in 9/11 Responders
- COPD Takes Big Toll on Employment, Mobility in U.S.
- 'Ground Zero' Workers at Risk of Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- Healthy Diet May Be Linked to Lower Risk of Lung Disease
- About 1 in 7 Older Adults Has Some Form of Lung Disease: CDC
- Nearly Half of Older Adults With Asthma, COPD Still Smoke: CDC
- Smoking-Related Illnesses in U.S. Total 14 Million, Report Finds
- Common Respiratory Diseases Tied to Lung Cancer Risk
- Annual COPD Costs To Hit $49 Billion by 2020: CDC
- Study Finds Many Flu Patients Not Treated Appropriately
- Obesity May Raise Risk of COPD
- Diet Tied to Better Breathing in COPD Patients
- Heat Waves Could Worsen COPD Symptoms, Study Suggests
- Climate Change Will Make Breathing in Summer Harder: Study
- Exercise May Curtail COPD Complications
- Health Tip: Do You Have Bronchitis?
- ERs Not Curbing Overuse of Antibiotics, Study Reveals
- When a Common Cold Becomes More Dangerous for Kids
- Cancer Patients Vulnerable to Complications From Flu
- Anoro Ellipta Approved for COPD
- Former President George H.W. Bush to Stay in Hospital Through Weekend
- Former President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized With Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Treating Bronchitis
- Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups
- Health Highlights: Dec. 15, 2011
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter