Patient Comments: Bronchiectasis - Treatments

What treatments have been helpful in treating your bronchiectasis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mary ryan, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 18

My mum has bronchiectasis and she has now gone on oxygen full time. The main thing to do is exercise as this helps to get the phlegm out. When you have bronchiectasis it's all about not letting the phlegm lodge in the lungs, it must be gotten up on a daily basis. This is so important. My mum is also on a nebulizer a few times a day. I would recommend that you go and get a second opinion with a consultant. Do not let this go on any longer or you will do a lot of damage. This can be controlled but only you can do it. Go with your gut feeling depending on what the second opinion is and take action straight away.

Comment from: egayle187, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

After years of constant coughing, I have found a combination of the following helpful in dealing with bronchiectasis. Postural drainage: I lie on my side for about an hour and cough out the mucus clumps; then other side doing the same. I can usually get up and around working without coughing again until my next nebulizer treatment loosens things up at night. I also have every day treatments for asthma; albuterol, corticosteroids via nebulizer and Mucinex 1200 mg per day. Use warm moist pads for chest comfort, don't let the patient say no to comfort, just do it. Acupuncture has worked wonders; doesn't hurt and insurance covers some. Using a heating system HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) with HEPA filters for ultra violet rays and moisturizing helps. Use supplemental oxygen especially at night. Doctors only checked sitting oxygen and mine was fine, but movement and change of position dropped it into too low a range. Hope this helps. Your intuition as a caregiver is the most valuable input; push doctors to help you if needed. Best wishes.

Comment from: lovinwife, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My husband has small cell lung cancer, extensive stage. His bronchiectasis is mainly due to all the radiation treatments (120 plus). He continues to have more and more infections. We are trying to find out what we can do to break up the mucus. He coughs all the time and is now taking another round of antibiotics.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter