Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Treatments

What was the treatment for your broken toe? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kevin, Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had broken my pinky toe. There were 2 blackish blue bruises on my toe. I woke up next day and watched a blue color proceeding across other toes an up foot. I went to the hospital. This was of no concern they said, but the problem get worse. Treatment was just taping it to the next toe and I was told not take it off for 2 months, but the doctor gave me the tape roll. No other instructions, no elevation or anything, just that it will heal in about 2 months. Only instruction was to follow up with a podiatrist.

Comment from: Texas Star, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

When I was 15, a school piano tipped over and landed on my big toe. For the first couple of minutes, I didn't feel any pain. But about 5 minutes later, it was intense! It was the worst pain I have ever felt even to this day. The toe was absolutely shattered and partially amputated. The surgeon was quite concerned that he wouldn't be able to save it, but he promised to do his best. He did an excellent job considering that there wasn't really much to work with. I wore a walking cast for about 6 weeks after surgery, and the toe was set/fixed with a removable steel pin that the doctor simply pulled out like a shish kebab skewer! That was a bit painful for a few moments, like a burning sensation, but it was over quickly. I then wore ordinary open toed shoes or sandals (always with socks) for a few more weeks until the nail and bone had fully healed. The damage was very severe, but I retained most of the nerve function, most sensation and most importantly, the ability to walk quite normally. Now 35 years later I still have the toe. The middle joint doesn't bend, but it does flex and bend at the foot so I can walk. Surprisingly, I have little arthritis pain in the toe itself, perhaps because there really isn't an actual joint in the toe to get arthritic. I was no longer able to dance ballet after the injury, but that is a small price to pay to be able to walk normally; and hey, I can still country dance and wear my cowgirl boots so it's not all lost! Ironically, just today I stumped my second toe on the same foot (on the heel of my cowgirl boots, when I got up in the middle of the night) and broke it. Wouldn't you know it! Those same boots feel real good on that bunged up toe when I wear them. Those boots are almost as good as that walking cast and space boot I had for my big toe 35 years ago. Isn't that something!

Comment from: Mwalsh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I broke my big toe when I was about 10. I had 50 pounds of junk drawer fall on it. Really it was a tool drawer. Nothing I could do about it. I let it heal since it wasn't crooked but my toe was black and blue for a couple weeks. Now it won't bend all the way except with help or extreme strain. Lucky me, I also broke my pinky toe on the same foot yesterday. It is grey and blackish blue. With a big red blood dot in the middle where it got hit the worst. It swelled up right away so I have been icing it and buddy wrapped it with its neighboring toe. Just keeping it elevated and hoping I don't walk funny now.

Comment from: MoriKen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I used the buddy taping method after I cracked my toe back straight. I used one of those massive super sticky cloth Band-Aids. It holds it nice and straight but it doesn't help with any of the swelling and it hurts a great deal.

Comment from: Signhandsnyc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am one among many with a whacked pinky left foot toe. I saw stars when I knocked my pinky toe on the sofa leg. No doctor, because I don"t need a painful medical bill along with the toe. My toe was swollen and black and blue. I am taking arnica, using ice and soaking it in Epsom salts. I am sure it is broken. The best solution is to keep off the foot and elevate it as much as possible. Difficult to do but I am self-employed. I wear Birkenstock shoes so, I am able to get around. I also taped the toe with its neighbor. I believe there are things in our life that happen and with a foot injury it might be telling us to slow down.

Comment from: Raven 99, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I was looking in front of me and there was a child sand box. I slammed my foot on the side of the box, went down on both my knees on top of the sand box. When I got up, my knees were hurting but my right big toe was worse. I did not want to take my shoe off before going to bed. I was afraid it would swell. Never thought it was broken. Next morning when I got up it hurt a bit but I could walk on it with a bit of pain. Five days later, I could not bear the weight on it. The joint had started to get red. Now, I have it on ice but the pain is excruciating. Now I am sure my big toe is broken.

Comment from: kikipoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

The first time my little toe was broken on the right foot, it was caused by a very big lady stepping on it. The second time, same toe, I was pushing a friend into the pool and bent the toe under my foot and broke it again. The third time the same toe was broken I rammed it on the edge of a door, and the final time my husband stepped on it with his railroad boots on and then asked me why I didn't keep my toe out from under his boot. I needed surgery to remove pieces of bone. I just broke my big toe on the other foot when my dog ran in front of me while I was stepping up a step and I bent the toe back toward the top of my foot and we all heard it snap.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke the big toe in my right foot years ago. I received no treatment and it seemed healed. Last year, the same toe broke again 'spontaneously'. I just had a surgery 2 weeks ago to fuse it as the pain was increasing and it was sending off arthritic bone growth (looked like a bunion). I am in cast for 3 months and recovering at home now.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

The treatment for my broken toe was buddy tape toes together and a special shoe for support.

Comment from: libby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a normal very healthy 47 year old woman who didn't have any health problems till I broke my toe 5 years ago on my left foot in three places in a boating accident. The doctors told me they don't operate to correct. Since then I can only wear flat shoes, because of the lifting motion on the toe when heels are worn, feels like it's going to crack in half and extremely painful when I rest it. It also sits on an angle to the left now. The toe is very painful at times. My general physician took x-rays of it 6 months ago and all good he said.

Comment from: Mike, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I broke my three middle toes and my big toe after the inversion table that I was upside down in fell to the side. My big toe broke at a 45-degree angle and my whole foot swelled and turned black and blue. The ER pulled it straight, but it shifted and the doctor had to realign it a week later. I opted out of pin surgery because the bone is very close to how it was, but hopefully it heals and does not shift any further again. I'm stuck on crutches for six weeks and not allowed to put any weight on it. Next time, I'll exercise with more caution.

Comment from: spellbound.unicorn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had my toes caught in a reclining love seat as my husband was putting his side down. My 3 toes in the middle starting with the one beside my big toe is swollen and sore. It hurts to put any pressure on them. I can't bend them or move any of my toes on that foot. I'm pretty sure they are all broken. I'm going to go see my doctor today on other matters and now have one more thing to add to see if my toes are broken. To top it off it's my left foot and my left side of my body is where all my issues are. My doctor is going to love me. I'm not sure if they will just try and cast the foot since I'm pretty sure it's all 3 toes, or if they will just boot it. Either way I hope it relieves the pressure and pain when I hobble around.

Comment from: karon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I broke the large left toe approximately just below my toenail when I lost my balance and slammed it against the side of my tile floor. It turned blacker than a blackboard about 4 hours later. I could not get confirmation by X-ray until 2 days later. The doctors said just what was reflected here. Elevate, Ice, and stay off it.

Comment from: davidlopez504, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

A ladder was dropped on my big toe months ago. I can sprint, run, walk, etc. I can bend it normally but I feel little pain. When I pull my toes the big toe that is broken hurts. It's not swollen or curved, I just feel pain in the toe still.

Comment from: Grammy3s, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Going downstairs, I slipped off one stair and pitched forward landing with all the force of my body on my curled toe knuckles. Fortunately, I had a grasp on the banister, but I could tell right away I had done some kind of damage to my pinkie toe and/or the structures around it. It immediately swelled and showed bruising. The next day the pain was still intense and the toe and the area around it was swollen and bruised-looking. I did all the right things; ice, ibuprofen, elevation, etc. But here it is, 4 weeks later and I still can't wear anything but sandals. My wise, 10-year old granddaughter told me, "Gram, you know it takes 4-6 weeks for a broken toe to heal. You have to be patient." I can walk without pain, but if I overdo it, I pay later. I'll just be happy to be able to wear shoes again.

Comment from: JohnNorthernCalif, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

To the person concerned about on-going swelling and stiffness, here's something to consider: contrast baths. I am convalescing from a crushed foot, following a motorcycle accident that resulted in three broken foot bones, now held together with multiple screws. I got the swelling down with contrast baths: ice water for 1 minute, hot water for 3 minute, ice water for 1 min, hot for three min, etc. NB: Always end with ice water. Contrast baths create circulation: hot brings in blood, cold pumps the blood back out. Also, do physical therapy: specifically, walk in a swimming pool with water up to your lower chest; at the end of the aqua-therapy, while still in the pool, hold a runner's stretch (hand on the wall of the pool, one foot behind you, dropping the heel to stretch the calf and bottom of foot); hold for 30 to 60 seconds to affect real change to the fascia, the part of your foot that needs to stretch so you can walk again. I endured serious trauma, which nearly resulted in amputation, but now ten months later I can walk again. And the pain is decreasing. Also, you can take ibuprofen 800mg every six to eight hours for swelling, but it only treats symptoms and doesn't provide solutions. Diligent physical therapy is key---so are not smoking and maintaining proper weight and diet. You can do it! Good luck.

Comment from: birdy120690, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I broke my toe about a year ago and went to the emergency room. All they did was X-ray it and tape it to the other one. I got a huge bill for something I could have done myself. I just re-broke it today and I'm just going to do the same thing here at home and avoid the bill. Elevate it, ice it, soak it in Epsom salt, and wait for it to heal.

Comment from: ednakaye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I broke my big toe in April 2010. It was x-rayed and taped together to the toe next to it. I was given a 'boot' to wear on that foot. I still have issues with pain in that toe.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter