Patient Comments: Broken Toe - Describe Your Experience

Did you break your toe? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: jessie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I broke my toe by catching it on a guard railing and bent my small toe all the way to the side. I thought I just stubbed it bad as I hopped around holding it then finally set down and I looked down and through my sock I saw it was stuck out to the side. For the next 8 days the pain never went away not even for a minute but did get less intense until it stopped. I was given Tylenol 3 at the hospital but never took them so wouldn't know if they help. My toes is still broken, it's only been 3 weeks and it is still bruised. I can still only bend and move my big toe (even though I only broke 1 toe), and every now and then if I move it or put it down the wrong way or accidentally flex it hurts pretty bad, but on its own it ok.

Comment from: Miss Limps Alot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have broken, or reinjured while healing, my right pinky toe dozens, and dozens of times. When it is 'not broken', it is stiff and slightly deformed. Every time, it took less trauma to break, such as just dropping a box of cereal on it. How many times can it be broken, before a permanent and severe deformity occurs! This issue got much worse after foot surgery for a Jones fracture, but did exist beforehand.

Comment from: senecawoman5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I have had two broken toes, both extremely painful. The first was a chip fracture of my big toe, on my right foot, when I attempted to scale a wall. I was holding a glass bowl of tuna macaroni salad in my hands. At the time was 9 months pregnant. I missed the step and came down on the top of my toe, chipping the bone. The next time I broke a toe I was chasing my 12 year old daughter through the house (in jest) because she had ordered a movie for USD 5.00 on my card without asking me. I accidentally ran into my son's steel toed boots in the hallway with my foot and broke my toe.

Comment from: hopalong, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I broke my big toe and the toe beside it. In spite of these two toes being taped together and not to any other for nearly six weeks the breaks healed. The issue is that I continue to have chronic pain, cramping and spasms in my upper foot, especially between the two knuckles of my hallux. My toes have almost no range of motion and remain stiff. I don't know what to do at this point.

Comment from: PS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

Someone stamped over my little toe on the left foot with heels during a dance program for women. I removed my footwear and continued to dance for a few minutes after the incident ignoring the sharp pain. When the pain was unnatural, I examined my toe to find a small cut and bleeding at the bottom and the toe itself away from the other toes. There was no swelling. I went on with life with pain killers for 5 days before I got an x-ray, and fracture diagnosed. Buddy strapping is in place but I have almost no pain other than a small niggling pull sometimes. Been advised not to walk for 3 weeks, I am not able to fully stop so, trying to limit my walk. It has been a week, hoping it heals soon. Not sure if I can wear shoes, I feel it supports my foot.

Comment from: Caucie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I slammed my foot into an unyielding metal chair leg and after a few moments of yelping, continued on with my day. Over a week later, the entire lower foot is swollen beyond recognition and I cannot put a shoe on. Good thing it is summer. I limp like an old person, and I fear that foot will never recover. I know it is broken. I tried taping and it hurts worse to walk. I teach so cannot stay off the foot. I ice it 2 to 3 times a day. No difference except for temporary relief of some pain.

Comment from: Phoenix17, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Like the similar post here, I broke my 2nd toe (right foot) when I was leading out a horse to be turned out in the early morning. He was spooked and splayed out his front legs, and his foot (hoof!) came down on my right foot but just smashed my toe. I had x-rays that morning. It was fractured. The doctor said nothing much to do. He taped it to my big toe. I could walk if I didn't bend my foot! Now 18 years later, I'm woken up at night with that toe burning (like this morning). The burning pain goes away in about a half hour. I'm grateful it doesn't last all the time!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

Two months ago while wearing soft rubber boots, my horse spooked and spun around pushing off on my foot. My toes and front of my foot hurt and became swollen and bruised. It hurt to wear regular shoes but I had an old pair of generic Crocs with a soft large toe box that I was able to tolerate wearing. O took two days off and then returned to work nursing where I am on my feet continuously. I took ibuprofen morning and night to help with pain. A month later as per advice from a doctor I work with, I had an x-ray. Sure enough my 4th and 5th toes had nondisplaced fractures. It has been two months and my 4th toe remains very swollen but not painful. I can't wear my regular size shoes for any length of time at this point. I had to buy a size larger for winter boots.

Comment from: cobrawho, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I kicked a shelf with my right little toe, as I have many times, but this time my toe got separated from the second little toe, about a quarter of an inch. My symptoms are sharp pain as I did it, but pain stopped immediately. On the second day my toe turned purplish on the inside of the small toe. On the 3rd day about 60 percent of top of the foot turned purple and bruised. It is aching a little while walking, and sore other times. I am on the 3rd week exactly from when I did it, last night it was getting sore, but had socks on and did not notice anything. I looked at it this morning; I noticed the little toe was now black and blue and swelling a little on the inside of my toe. It is kind of ugly, but I have been pushing down a little as it does not sit flat on the floor so I probably caused it but if not, I need to know if it is something I need to run to the hospital about, or if I can just let it heal.

Comment from: nana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I fractured my second toe over 6 weeks ago. I am still having pain and it is curved to the left. I went to urgent care and wore a boot for five weeks but I am still having issues. I do not know what to do. They just told me it takes time.

Comment from: nanodelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Two and a half weeks ago, my family went to an island. While at the beach, I stubbed my left foot, 2nd toe in from pinkie, on a hidden 4 x 4 in the sand (there had been a lot of beach erosion from the flooding system that hit severely in October). The toe was canted at a slightly odd angle, and turned purple. It didn't stop me from swimming, but I wasn't on beach for that long. Back at the motel, I tried ice/cool packs, naproxen, and OxyContin. All helped. Fast forward 2.5 weeks; it is still sore, still a bit larger than normal. I get that achy-bone feeling that I got a few years back when I broke my ring finger and needed surgery. Even about 14 days later, my pinky toe had some black and blue on the inside facing the toe that I either busted, dislocated or badly sprained (buddy-binding only helped at the very beginning).

Comment from: mebunches2001, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I fractured my great toe in two places when I passed out and fell. The podiatrist taped it (x-rays were taken 10 days earlier at the emergency room). When I went back two weeks later to have it looked at, the podiatrist took his own x-rays and said the toe was dislocated and 'fixed' it by pulling on it, then put a cast on. At the next appointment he removed the cast and deemed it all to be healed. There were/are more issues but this was enough concerning just the toe.

Comment from: Starmystik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My horse slipped in the mud going around a corner; her feel slid sideways out from under her and we both went down. I think she might have stepped on my foot when she scrambled back up (it happened so fast) but I ended up with a broken toe!

Comment from: butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

While in shower a larger sized shampoo bottle slipped and fell on my 3rd toe, on my left foot. This is so frustrating, as I have foot injuries on right foot full thickness tear with smaller tear of tendon. I am so frustrated because I have recently lost 18 lb. and love bike riding which I am no longer allowed to do. I am in a lot of pain, and have realized I have to rest it, because the last few times I have overused it I have paid dearly with pain for it. This happened last weekend and I have a job that requires standing all day, I don't like being and feeling so helpless.

Comment from: Abnormal Toe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

This weekend while turning to go to the waste basket in my bathroom I ran my foot into my garden tub. Three toes were impacted but only the little toe broke. I heard the snap and now my toe nail on that toe is pointing toward the side of my foot instead of up on top like it should be. It is purple which is what happens every time I break a bone. I have put tape on it and turned the toe nail back to its normal position and taped the toe to the other and put an additional wrap around my foot to make sure it does not move. I will keep it this way until the toe nail does not try and turn back to the side of the foot. Once I got it back into position and it is immobile there is only slight pain when I go to step certain ways. If this does not adhere or start to heal I will seek an orthopedic doctor to see what can be done.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a draft horse, 1800 lb., stand on my right foot. It broke a metatarsal bone in my foot and crushed my 4th toe as per hospital x-ray. It has been 3 weeks. I still can't wear a shoe and the toe is losing its skin. It hurts unbelievably. Hospital told me to stay off, but can't for much longer. My foot is now healed but toe is so swollen.

Comment from: Vna, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I tripped over a wire in the dark on New Year's Eve, it did hurt but I did not think too much of it. Three weeks later it did still hurt but not as much, but it felt strange. So I went to get the toe x-rayed, not only was it broken but was also displaced. I had surgery with two pins. I can't wear a regular shoe, nor can I bicycle which I do 4 or 5 times a week. That is why I did not want to see the doctor in the first place because six weeks without riding is no fun for someone who is active and addicted to exercise! It is unfortunately my seventh fracture!

Comment from: msJKL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was jumping on a trampoline and heard a snap; sure enough, I'd broken a chip off my right big toe just at the joint. My general physician referred me to an orthopedist but they declined to see me, and just advised me to use an orthopedic shoe and go easy for a few weeks. It did seem to heal, but then 3 months after the break I re-injured it, and the very next day I broke my left 5th metatarsal, falling off a stair step, because I'm just that graceful. So, I had to hop around using crutches and putting all my weight on my newly re-injured right big toe. It's now been 5 months (2 since the left foot fracture and toe re-injury) and my left foot is healed but the right toe still hurts constantly. Not badly, but enough to affect my walking gait and endurance. I'm seeing an orthopedist again tomorrow (they deigned to finally see me after I broke the left foot) and will ask for another x-ray. I hope the toe is showing signs of healing and I don't have a nonunion going on.

Comment from: marysing, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 60 years old, grandma. I broke my third toe on my right foot while going up stairs. Missed the step. It hurt, on scale 1 to 10, I must say a 10 plus. The toe turned a deep purple and could not bend. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was sent for x-ray. There was a fracture at the base of the toe. I buddied up the toe to the toe next to it with tape. Good support. It is painful to walk but I rested the foot as often as I could. Time will only heal it. I broke my second toe on my left foot years ago. Hit a fire place. I ended up in ER, had x-rays, and two freezing needles. The doctor and nurse put the toe back together. My toe is now healing, can bend it somewhat.

Comment from: tracie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

This morning I jammed my toe on the leg of my coffee table, it is the toe next to the little toe on my left foot. Throughout the day it has swelled and turned black. I have diabetes and neuropathy, my neuropathy is not always numbness, sometimes it is just major pain. Now that I am pretty sure my toe is broken, and I have had several battles with cellulitis, even getting as bad as sepsis, I am a small bit concerned about an injured bone. I am also right at the moment keeping my eyes open because I fear I am once again starting to see some symptoms of the cellulitis.

Comment from: Cherie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I stubbed my second toe on a magazine rack in the dark at night. It hurt, but I ignored it and went to bed. The next day the toe was leaning toward my big toe, like it might be broken at the base. When I wore my shoes, it hurt and got a red sore spot where it was bent. I figured it was broken, so I taped it to the toe next to it in hopes of fixing it. That helped with the pain when walking or standing. I never went to a doctor with this problem, just kept taping three of my toes together. That helped a lot, but when it wasn't taped, it hurt again. I developed a gout problem and the doctor x-rayed my foot and said it wasn't broken. He didn't explain why it was bent. I still tape my toes because they are no better.

Comment from: HealingWell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was doing a handstand in the dining room. When I came down, I whacked my foot on the table. It really hurt! My pinkie toe proximal phalanx broke all the way through. It was displaced at an angle, but went back to place when I taped my toes together. When I got an x-ray it still looked like it was crooked but the doctor says it is close enough since the broken pieces are touching. It's been one week and the swelling and bruising has gone down a lot, but I still have to wear the boot for 5 more weeks to keep the toe from moving.

Comment from: MoriKen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was just walking through my house as usual, I'm a really clumsy person so I'm not surprised, I swung my right leg out and broke my pinky toe right on a bookshelf in the hallway. Only twice in my life have I blacked out, once from low blood pressure at an amusement park and earlier from this toe. I never expected a broken toe to hurt so badly, and my mother says they don't hurt. I knew it was broken immediately when I looked down and saw it sticking at an angle. I have very close toes so that kind of freaked me out.

Comment from: kruzers, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I jammed my big toe by accident into the bottom of the molding of my wall of my house. Now it's been 2 weeks and sometimes I can walk on it gingerly, but most times it hurts to walk on it. I think I either broke or sprained it, but with my schedule, it's crazy and can't just sit for a day. But I try to prop it up every time I sit down at home, not at work. It is bigger, so that means the swelling hasn't got down at all. I wonder if I should just wrap it with my 2nd toe or go get x-rays, but usually those are a waste of time.

Comment from: Nanci1024, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was walking when it was raining with slippers (zories) when I just turned wrong and slid and my toe broke. It was so bad and I should have gone to the doctor because it broke off at the first knuckle and now that part is growing on the side of my toe. Since I have nerve damage in my feet, and don't always feel it, I just live with it. I may later on down the life have surgery just to correct it.

Comment from: cjyounts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was making up my bed, as I was walking around the bed to finish the other side there was a pillow in the floor with the open side of the pillow case facing me. So, I tried to step over the pillow when my big toe on my right foot gets caught on the opening of the pillow case. Trying to avoid falling I pulled my toe out of the case, my big toe bent under my foot and hit knuckle first with all my weight. I know I broke it, but emergency room (ER) x-rays showed no break. Three months later it is still swollen and horrible sharp pain shoots up my foot. MRI showed break not healing. I am getting ready to try tissue stimulation at home for 6 weeks. Awesome.

Comment from: Gmcdo20148, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I walked into the rocking chair in the middle of the night on December 10th, fractured my toe and it turned a nice shade of purple. I taped toes together, iced it and then had warm foot baths. It is March 18th and it is still red and deformed. I can"t bend it at all; the toe next to big toe on the left foot. The doctor did nothing. I am diabetic.

Comment from: LeeBee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have broken toes many times in my life and yesterday just jammed my little toe into a coffee table and I"m pretty sure it"s broken because moving it in certain positions is very painful. That said, I can still walk and am not concerned. I taped it to the toe next to it for stability which is what has always been the treatment I received when I visited a doctor for a broken toe. In my experience, it can take a long time to heal but doesn"t have to be too incapacitating - especially the little toe. I used ice right away and have been also keeping elevated as much as possible and took a bunch of Ibuprofen this morning.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had open fracture of the big toe after a piece of furniture landed on it. My big toenail split in half with blood gushing out everywhere. The worst part was getting the bloody dried gauze off of my broken nail in the emergency room. They eventually got it off by soaking the gauze in hydrogen peroxide. After this, a doctor stuck a needle into the bottom of my toe and then another needle into the top of my toe to numb it enough to take a look at it and clean the wound. The needles hurt like heck causing me to scream out in pain. I am on antibiotics and pain medications with an appointment to see an orthopedic foot specialist tomorrow.

Comment from: Jenne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was barefoot in the kitchen when a wooden 'salad hand' fell off the top of the fridge onto my little toe. It's red, black, blue and purple. I won't be wearing shoes for a while.

Comment from: renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I broke my baby toe on the right foot back on New Year's Eve. It is still swollen and I am wondering if I should seek medical treatment. I taped my toes together but they are still swollen even after a month.

Comment from: Badluckgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

A tempered glass door fell off my oven, directly onto my foot. The pain was unreal! My 4th right toe turned almost black immediately. The top of my foot was horribly bruised as well. The toenail was also a dark blue color. After a week, bruising and swelling have decreased, but the pain is still keeping me awake. I wonder if the toe is broken.

Comment from: jpage, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had a 4x8x10 board fall over on my toe. I am having extreme pain, can't fully bend my toe and have extreme bruising.

Comment from: cocogorm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was chopping a squash in my kitchen near the dish rack. It had a very hard skin so I slammed in into the counter causing a heavy glass to go flying out of the dish rack and onto my pinky toe. Thought it was just bruised but turns out it is fractured.

Comment from: Larsonsmum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 58, and my big toe on my right foot has stuck up all my life (as my late Mum told me as a baby in the pram it stuck out from under the blankets). It actually wears a hole in my trainers/shoes which is annoying but not half as troublesome as repeatedly being told by physiotherapists that it is having an adverse effect on my entire leg, knees, hips etc. Yet, I am told nothing can be done about it (I wonder if it was broken when I was a baby).

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Walking into an unfamiliar room barefoot, I didn't correctly gauge the distance of the chair I needed to walk around. I slammed my foot into the base and immediately felt pain shoot up my foot. Second and third toe were throbbing. Black/purple bruise was immediate. Swelling lasted for days. Now 10 days later it hurts to put pressure on top part of foot or wear shoes.

Comment from: Mar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I cut the back of big toe. I lost toenail and the toe was broken. I have major swelling on area under toes. Big toe is not swollen.

Comment from: star#1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I stubbed a toe on my left foot, the toe that is next to the little toe. This happened nine days ago and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. All of the toes on the foot as well as the whole foot are swollen and I haven't been able to wear shoes for over a week. I'm not sure why the foot as well as all of the toes on my left foot are swollen when it was just the one toe that was injured. I tried ibuprofen and propping my foot up but nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Trish3520, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I accidentally kicked a dining set chair last night. These chairs are big and heavy, so you can bet it hurt. Pain was in my fourth toe (next to the pinky toe) of my left foot. The pain seemed to dissipate and it was late, so I went to bed. Today, I'm not sure if it's fractured or sprained or whatever else it could be. It's definitely bruised and purple, but it doesn't seem to be swollen. There is minor pain when curling my toes, but I can walk barefoot pretty normally. However, it hurts to walk while wearing my work shoes (low wedge Mary Janes). I have to walk to work every day. This is not going to be fun.

Comment from: stevew., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Two days ago, my husband was working in the garden and a ladder fell onto his big toe. He had lots of pain and bruise but since it was a long weekend the walk-in clinic doctor said that he had to wait until Tuesday.

Comment from: Sensation, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I broke my middle toe a couple of years ago. I am in the building trade and every night I get home from work it is absolute agony. It is a really weird shape and absolutely throbs.

Comment from: Paige, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I hurt my toe and think I broke it. It was painful for about 10 minutes. Then it started to swell and I couldn't really move it. So I put ice on it. For the next 2 weeks it was sore.

Comment from: Jandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

About a week ago, a water-filled shampoo bottle I was using on the inside of the shower curtain to keep it from billowing into the tub area fell on the proximal joint of my right big toe. The area is quite tender, there is a big, dark red bruise about 1 1/4 inches across. I can bend the joint but it hurts. My foot is swollen, especially the big toe. I wonder if I should consider checking this out for a fracture.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I was making the bed and getting ready for work when I kicked the steel leg of the bed. It hurt badly, but, I put on lace up tennis shoes and hurried to work. I walked on it all day and it was tender. When I got home and took off my shoe, the instep was all purple. The toe hurt but was not crooked so I did not seek any care. Now, 10 years later, the toe is very crooked and points the wrong way and has a bump at the knuckle. It is difficult to wear shoes. I can find sandals in the summer, not flip flops as they will not stay on due to the space between my big toe and the one next to it. Winter is harder, as I have a really hard time wearing closed toe shoes.

Comment from: LynR., 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My husband is 82 and suffers from CHF, COPD and myelodysplasia. His circulation is very bad. Last night he slipped while getting out of his chair and bent his foot while trying to get traction on the floor. Today he is in severe pain. Because his feet are generally swollen, it is hard to discern abnormal discoloration and bruising on his foot. I wonder if his other conditions make a possible broken toe more serious than it might otherwise be.

Comment from: Puma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I hit my toe by my pinky on a detergent box and heard it snap. It bruised immediately and the bruising proceeded over to my big toe within days. I didn't seek help since everyone said they can't do anything anyway but since then my foot it hurting when I walk and it has been 16 days.

Comment from: Jerrod, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Training in jiu-jitsu I posted up all my weight on to my 1st toe and heard a large snap and it was very painful. Now the first metatarsal head is swollen and stiff, but no deformity or color just terribly sore.

Comment from: Maya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I jammed my toe against a corner wall. It hurt for a long time, now, a few hours later, there is visible bruising on the joint and slightly swollen. It hurts to walk and I cannot bend my toe at all, I wonder if it is broken.

Comment from: Nereid, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I've broken several toes and a bone in my foot, mostly from sports injuries, and all I have to say about the idea that all you need for the pain is some Advil or what not is: my foot! Pun intended. In my experience, toes are weirdly like teeth (and ribs, for that matter) in that when they are injured they hurt like crazy! I'm not a wimp, either, I've had 3 kids, all natural, no pain medications, but toe injuries are awful! If you are hurting, don't let your doctor push you around. The way people's pain is under-treated is a crime, in my opinion.

Comment from: meandchance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

To start off, I have broken the tips of my toes several times, but this is different. I have multiple sclerosis (MS) and osteoporosis and medicating for both. I recently possibly dropped a can of pop on my 3rd toe. Well, it is in the middle of both sides. Now my toe is swollen and is easily moved up and down before the toe reaches my foot. If it is just fractured/broken I am pretty sure that if I go to the doctor, they will just take x-rays and tape my toe to the adjoining toe and possibly send me home with one of those, walking shoes that you strap on to your foot. Therefore, there is no point in going to the doctor and spending money that I do not have.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

One night my boyfriend and I were playing and he slammed me on the floor. After getting up, my big toe was hurting so badly, it swelled up instantly, and it was starting to get numb. I kept telling him that it was broken but he didn"t believe me until I went to the hospital and they confirmed with an x-ray and observation that my big toe was broken.

Comment from: rees05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Yes, I was getting ready for work and hit my 4th toe (next to the pinky) on the exercise bike that is in my living room. It hurt really bad. I went to work even though I was in pain. A week later my toe was swollen and throbbing with sharp pain. I kept saying that it was broken, I went to an Express Care and the doctor told me that it was just a contusion. Not satisfied with his diagnosis I went to the hospital, got an x-ray and had an orthopedic doctor look at my toe and they confirmed that the toe had a fracture in the exact place that I kept pointing at.

Comment from: Pinky pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was going around barefoot and ran into a heavy table sitting on end. I knew it was broken because it was pointing east and west while my foot was headed north and south. When I asked my sister, a nurse, to put it back in place, she said "no". I slid my foot along the floor and did it myself. There has been quite a bit of pain. As long as I keep my shoe off as much as possible and my foot off, it is bearable. I have burning sensation if I walk too much. It has been two weeks and 2 days.

Comment from: N/A, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I broke my left foot pinky toe when I crashed my left foot on the dining chair leg. The heavy chair moved and so did my pinky toe. I went to the emergency room and the doctor confirmed that my pinky is broken. She applied buddy taping and gave splint shoe to wear and told me it will take weeks to cure. So I am grounded for around 6 weeks.

Comment from: 1776, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

All I did was walk across my carpeted living room floor with my shoes and socks on and got a severe sharp pain in the middle of my big toe. It began to swell so I put ice on it and elevated it. The next day it hurt but looked okay. The following day it was all purple and black on the outer side. The next day it was black on the other side of my toe. This all started on a Wednesday, so Monday I called my foot doctor. He took several X-rays and sure enough it was broken from one end of the joint to the other. He had me have a bone density scan because I have osteopenia. The scan showed just a very small amount of difference since my last scan. He put my foot in a surgical boot for 5 weeks. The bruising is gone, but the boot really doesn't seem like it's helping, still very painful.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I walked into a doorjamb and broke my pinky toe. Not my first broken toe, and unfortunately probably won't be my last. This was three weeks ago, and I still can't wear a closed-toe shoe. No mani-pedi because it's SO sensitive. It's still swollen, and the next-door toes are still bruised. I'm getting tired of wearing thong sandals. I'm very encouraged to know in another few weeks this will be a distant memory. Getting better every day. Wasn't that a Beatles song?

Comment from: kickenit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I broke my pinky toe on my right foot on 02/15. It was obviously broken and sticking out to the side of my foot. X-rays revealed the break and I had to have surgery to place a pin in the toe to straighten it. The pin was removed on 03/19 but the break has not healed. My foot stays swollen all the time and my toe turns a blue sometimes. I just want it to heal. I have to immediately get off the foot as soon as I get home.

Comment from: Goaliechic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Seven months ago I collided with another player during a soccer game and injured my big toe on my right foot. Knowing that the doctors do nothing for this I opted to ignore it and just tape it until it started to feel better. After about 4-5 months I started to get frustrated and consulted a doctor about it. He sent me for x-rays which showed a shadow but he wasn't sure so he sent me for a CT scan. Seven months later I have found out I have a non-union fracture of the joint where the big toe attaches to the foot. He told me this will require surgery to repair. This really scares me. It seems a little extreme since doctors normally don't do anything for toes anyway. Lesson learned from this; see a doctor no matter how silly it seems at the time. If anyone has experienced this and had surgery or any other option please let me know. I'd like to know your story and if there are any other options.

Comment from: dgreen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I broke my big left toe at work. I dropped a 150-plus pound piece of machinery on it and fractured the bone in three places. I not only broke it, but hit it so hard that it blew my toe open, and that required about 20 stitches to repair it. I lucked out and didn't have to have surgery because it was above my joint. I can tell you that I have had four kids and the shot they gave me to numb it was worse than having it injured in the first place. I have a lot of pain and my toe looks terrible, but each day it is getting better. The doctor says it will take at least six months for all the pain to go away. I have been on crutches for a month now and will continue to use them and start walking on the foot a little at a time, but that hurts at this point as well. The thing that helped me the most was just staying off of it as much as possible and keeping it elevated. Ibuprofen worked the best for pain. Good luck to anyone who has to deal with a broken big toe.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Female Published: September 02

In March, while on holiday, I broke my left baby toe. The very same day the eyesight in my left eye became extremely cloudy. However, I thought these two things were totally unrelated. When I returned home I sought out an ophthalmologist and all was well as far as he was concerned with my eyesight. However, I still continued to have bouts of cloudy vision. The other day watching a doctor on TV brought it all to light. He said that the baby toe is connected to the part of the brain in the back of your head that affects the optic nerve. Eureka! I now know the cause of my cloudy vision in my left eye, which, by the way, is starting to clear up now that my toe is healing.

Comment from: injured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Can anyone advise me or direct me on what to do as far as treatment in decreasing pain and swelling. In short I was in a car accident and my ankle was crushed and I suffered 3 broken toes. I have had an external fixator, a cast, permanent hardware in my ankle, physical therapy and 11 months later my toes are stiff and will not bend completely which makes it awkward/painful when walking. There is soreness (toes) from the inside out and sore to the touch. My ankle still swells and my toes (tip) burn at times. The hardware pokes at my skin and my foot is sore and tight quite often. I am still under the doctor's care, but he offers little direction on remedies or treatment.

Comment from: intrepid, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I dropped a 45 lb weight on my left big toe and shattered the bone below the nail. X-rays revealed an open longitudinal crack in the bone and dislocated bone fragments consistent with a shatter injury. I had surgery 3 days after the injury. The surgeon used one metal screw to fixate the longitudinal crack in the bone and two bio-degradable screws for the other bone fragments. He also removed some small bone chips. The latest x-rays (3 weeks post surgery) reveal that the longitudinal crack is now closed but that some displacement of the other bone fractures remains. No further intervention appears necessary. The bone will eventually heal in another 3-5 weeks with some residual bone deformity. The surgical wound has essentially healed. There was considerable swelling and some blistering of the skin after surgery. I've felt little or no pain throughout this experience. My only concern is how the bone will eventually heal and if there will be lasting effects.

Comment from: old guy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I had to get up in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago to go to the bathroom and on the way back from the bathroom, I slammed the pinky toe of my left foot on a bureau. By golly, it hurt and it still does.

Comment from: john woods, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I was getting something from the refrigerator and my toe cracked out of nowhere. I have diabetes. I don't know what happened.

Comment from: Markus, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I tripped and slammed my toe into the nice china holder in my kitchen. After some pretty mild pain it went away with no swelling or bruising, but now I can't bend it.

Comment from: carter3369, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I was walking down the stairs, missed the last step and landed on my big toe. The big toe bent under my foot. Twenty four hours and my foot around all of my toes are swollen. I have minimal pain when I walk. I have not seen a doctor yet. I don't think it is broken.

Comment from: kjnap, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I dropped a table top on my right foot and fractured the first three toes. I got an x-ray and was referred to an orthopedic doctor.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I dropped a metal ramp on my toes. The toe next to the big toe is hurting very badly. I have ice on it, but the pain is not letting up.

Comment from: Flicker, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Over the summer, my sisters, and two of our friends went to play at a park in our town. I was standing on a hill, barefoot, (I'm always barefoot whenever possible) when one of my sisters decided to jump on my friend's back, while knocking his knee out from under him. The other friend was holding his arm, but she couldn't keep the two from falling. My sister jumped off, but the friend who fell right onto my pinky toe. It bruised within a half hour in all sorts of weird shades, but I just assumed it was jammed. After a few minutes of holding my toe and whining, and a few hours of favoring it, I still couldn't walk in a way I was used to, but again, I thought nothing of it.

Comment from: -X-, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I slipped on a (obviously) slippery rock while entering water for a swim, hit my pointer toe at the rock (i think, it happened fast and I didn't even feel the pain at start). I didn't think it was broken, so I just got up and went for a swim. Then I went to eat something and went to work. That's when I took another look at it and I was sure it was broken (possibly in multiple areas). It not only swollen even more, changed color to blue/purlple-ish, but also got weird patterns on the skin surface. Oh, and it hurt like hell. The worst part was that I had to work for 8 hours before I could get home and maybe put some ice on it. Then I slept for maybe 5-6 hours and then back to work, where I am at the moment.

Comment from: LaurieB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I hit my R pinky toe on a chair while someone was in the chair. The chair didn't move, but the toe did. I broke it. Immediately I felt such pain and the toe was swollen and red. It caused me pain to walk and even the sheets touching it hurt. I called the doctor and the nurse said just buddy tape it. 4 days later I dropped an iron on the same toe! Intense pain. Had an X-ray from a Doc in the Box the following morning that showed a POSSIBLE break, but I was told just to buddy tape it. 7 weeks later the toe was causing me the same pain and was still swollen, so I went to a podiatrist. He took an X-ray and found that the toe was in pieces and will require surgery. I suggest going to a podiatrist from the start!

Comment from: Momma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I walked into a hope chest and cracked my little toe. The pain was intense. More than three weeks later, I am still wearing a moccasin; a shoe is not an option with the pain. The podiatrist said there was no reason for an office visit. He suggested I tape my injured toe to the one next to it and that it will heal on its own. I am very frustrated at the continuous pain and no improvement at all. Only the bruising is gone. The pain gets to me when I go to work or have to walk any distance more than a block. I wish there was some solution.

Comment from: Kerri, 45-54 Female Published: March 18

About 2006 I broke my big toe line dancing but didn't realize at the time that I had broken it I thought it was sprained. Well I continued to walk around and over time it stopped hurting so I assumed the sprain had gone away. Little did I know three years later I would be having surgery on the toe. Apparently it was broken and didn't heal properly which in turn caused the tendon to wrap itself around the bone and caused a bunion and a bone spur. The doctor had to re-break the toe and he put a screw in that dissolved after 8 weeks when the bone was set. He had to fix the tendon and he got rid of the bone spur and they bunion. Moral of this story: if you hurt your toe get it checked out straight away.

Comment from: kath, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I broke my little toe about five weeks ago. It began to heal nicely and the pain had all but gone, but after three weeks, I re-broke it again. Now it is as painful as ever and not healing at all.

Comment from: JoeJoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a large chair roll over my large toe over 3 weeks ago. The toe has not stopped aching and the swelling has now confined itself to just the toe. I believe that it is fractured since the pain has not subsided for three weeks and the swelling remains but does subside after sleeping at night. I cannot afford to take off time from work, so I am assuming at some point this will heal.

Comment from: neversaidiwasagenius, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I broke my large toe by kicking a giant iceberg that I thought was a giant snowball. My mother (a physical therapist) said that the emergency room visit was not worth the money, so I buddy taped it to the toe next to it, but this did not accomplish much. Taping and ibuprofen helped to alleviate the pain, but every step still hurts (and I ran track on a broken toe for 6 weeks, which didn't help!). To this day, my toe is bent 30 degrees in the wrong direction and I need a half size up when I'm buying shoes. So I would advise, should you break your big toe, seek emergency medical care to correct any misalignment, if only to prevent disfigurement, unless you don't care about that.

Comment from: kvh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Broken toes are the pits! I went to emergency room because my toe was way to the side of my foot (small toe). Pain medications, a boot, crutches and tape. All you can do is ice it and keep it elevated and pray you don't hit it against anything for a while. I'm 11 days from the accident and feel pain when I do something stupid, but I'm getting better!

Comment from: ouch., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I just dropped my laptop right on my big toe. It hurts like a son of a gun, took a chunk of skin out with it too so its bleeding, but I'm icing and elevating it now good thing I work at a clinic so I can get it looked at right away in the morning.

Published: April 22

My toe the one next to the big toe is broken and has been for 3 weeks and is still swollen and discolored, but I was told nothing else can be done but just tape it to the next toe and it will heal on its own. My whole foot is hurting after a long period of time and it's a hump underneath the toe in which I never had.

Comment from: la diva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had a hairline fracture of the big toe 3 months ago. The crack seems to have healed but I keep on getting burning sensation and pain in both my feet and legs. I actually slipped down the stairs and my right big toe got bent and there was this sharp and intense pain that I experienced at that moment. My right toe seems to swell off and on. My right leg and foot have more of the burning sensation.

Comment from: Smokey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

While moving some floor boards I dropped one on my right big toe. The board bounced off my toe and I did a little war dance. After removing my shoe and sock I could see that I had crushed the tip of my toe. I put ice on it and kept it elevated. The next day when I got out of bed I felt light heated and sick, so my wife convinced me to go to the emergency room. After an X-ray the doctor informed me that I broke the tip of the bone on my big toe. It is now buddy wrapped and I keep it raised as much as possible. I have 10 days off so far. I will evaluate if more time needed closer to the end of the 10 days.

Comment from: Loulou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I stubbed my little toe on a chair in bedroom when i got up in hurry. I was in agony, after 1 hour my toe was protruding outward and very swollen. I went to the hospital and had an x-ray. I was fractured they wrapped it to the next toe (in a splint). It's now bruised, can't afford to take time off work, hope it mends quick.

Comment from: dan k, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I was camping out with friends and figured I could chop wood; but the axe was dull! So it ended up in my middle toe of my right foot, and x-rays showed that I had cut it off, so I had my pediatrist (an awesome dude with an awesome name) surgically have a pin inserted, boot, crutches for half the time, and medication for 7 1/2 weeks! Thanks to him, I still have a toe, and one lesson learned: don't chop wood with a dull axe in flip-flops!

Comment from: Danae, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I fell in a darkened theater last night and rolled my left foot under me as I fell. The pain was incredible I have had four children and the pain was right up there with childbirth. I knew I had broken it (I'm a nurse). X rays revealed I have broken the fourth metatarsal all the way through. There was a mile long waiting list in the ED so I went home and have been resting the foot in an elevated position and icing it. I will need plaster for it. My wedding is in 5 weeks!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

My husband broke his little toe by hitting it on a door. He fainted, so I took the opportunity to buddy splint his toe at that time. It is a little less painful that way. I am a nurse.

Comment from: Lowana Porth, 55-64 Female Published: September 02

I stubbed my little toe the other day. It really hurts when I move it in an upward position. It is a little black and blue at the base of my little toe. I can't really afford to go to the doctor, but can I do that buddy taping to see if it helps.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter