Patient Comments: Broken Foot - Complications

What complications did you experience related to your broken foot? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pj22630, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I broke my tibia, fibula and 22 metatarsal bones in my right foot. It has been six weeks since my motorcycle accident 6/18/2018. The swelling to my metatarsal region is constant. I have a lot of foot pain, the area where they inserted a steel rod from my knee to my ankle. It feels stable but I'm still not weight bearing. Any suggestions to aid in my healing would be greatly appreciated.

Comment from: Kathi,Salibury NC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I broke my left foot in shower, no trauma, and that was October 2017. It didn't close, so I had surgery in February 2018. It still was not joining, and I had a lot of pain and non-weight bearing. Since November I have sat around hoping that it will heal. I just had another surgery and had 14 screws, a plate and cadaver bone, my own bone graft, and some other mesh to fill gaps in the talus. I am totally off my foot waiting for a bone stimulator. It is very serious as I have diabetes, A1C is 5.7, and I have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. I am so concerned I will lose my foot; or worse have cancer in the bone.

Comment from: Reth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

Complications from broken foot include chronic constant pain, numbness and swelling at the end of the day, and a deformity where the big toe curves in leaving a bunion type protrusion. I have difficulties walking, sometimes worse on some days for no reason. Pain wakes me at night and even when just sitting. I have underlying rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.

Comment from: dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

It is almost 6 months after I broke my heel bone and I am still unable to bear weight without pain; lots of it. I am seeing a specialist this week so I am hoping I will get some answers soon. It was from a head on collision, heel was shattered and I am afraid it may get cut off if it doesn't get better soon. I am sure it is always a possibility.

Comment from: craig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have fractured a bone on the outside of my foot, not sure what it is called. I am currently wearing a non-weight-bearing cast, I have had this on for 2 weeks, and am wanting to know how long I will need this on.

Comment from: Sweetiebug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

It's been a year and a half since I cracked my foot and had to wear a boot for more than six months. Now my whole leg has areas that are hot and very painful. I'm not sure how to relieve the pain.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter