Patient Comments: Broken Foot - Treatment

What types of treatment did you receive when you broke your foot? Did you wear a cast or Reese shoe? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Marian , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I broke my 4th metatarsal and was put in a boot in June 2018. After 6 weeks the boot was removed but I'm still in pain on the top of my foot! Quite shocked about this.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a car accident November 2017. I broke my foot in 2 places. I had surgery with plates and pins. It took 6 months to heal because of wounds for repairing. I had skin graft to cover open wound after 4 months but it did not take. I have no pain but my foot swells. I cannot wear any of my old shoes. I am trying to find out how long the swelling goes on. I was told it actually takes a full year to be completely healed.

Comment from: Reth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had no treatment for my broken foot. I was treated for cellulitis but nothing else despite pain, swelling and difficulty walking.

Comment from: GRS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I fell and broke my cuboid bone on the side of my foot. I've been wrapping my foot with elastic bandage and wearing soft boot for 4 months. It has not healed. Doctor suggested a bone stimulator. I have osteoporosis and wonder if my foot will heal without surgery.

Comment from: ernie, (Patient) Published: September 24

Initial diagnosis showed an inline fracture of the 5th metatarsal and for 3 weeks I was in an air boot. Second visit revealed displaced fracture leading to surgical repair. Stiches were removed after 2 weeks and now I am doing 30 days on a knee scooter with zero weight allowed on the right foot.

Comment from: Shailesh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I had a cast on my foot after I broke 3rd metatarsal bone.

Comment from: june rosenwasser, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I twisted my foot going down 2 steps, I did not see the step and it caused a fracture between the foot and the heel. I was put in a boot for a month, but it still hurts. One doctor suggested surgery to remove the protruding bone, the other said nothing can be done. I do not know what to do.

Comment from: Laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I stepped off a porch onto a small step. My ankle seemed to give way and I went down, landing on my right foot. It had swelling in three places, and a huge bruise underneath my foot. I have been icing and elevating, but also hobbling around. The bruising is going away, and the swelling under the toes went down. The swelling on top of my foot below the ankle is still very painful. This is Day 8.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter