Brief psychotic disorder is a short-term mental illness that features psychotic symptoms. There are three forms of brief psychotic disorder. The first occurs shortly after a major stress, the second has no apparent trauma that triggers the illness, and the third is associated with postpartum onset. Symptoms include hallucinations, delusions, unusual behavior, disorientation, changes in eating and sleeping, and speech that doesn't make sense. Treatment typically involves medication and psychotherapy. Read more: Brief Psychotic Disorder Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Related Disease Conditions
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Psychotic disorders are a group of serious illnesses that affect the mind. Different types of psychotic disorders include...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by odd behaviors, feelings, perceptions, and ways of relating to others that...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- venlafaxine, Effexor XR (Effexor has been discontinued in the US)
- paroxetine, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva
- fluoxetine, Prozac, Sarafem, Prozac Weekly
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- citalopram, Celexa
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- ziprasidone (Geodon)
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Phenothiazine Antipsychotics
- fluphenazine liquid - oral, Prolixin
- fluphenazine concentrate - oral, Prolixin
- chlorpromazine - oral, Thorazine
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- thioridazine (Mellaril is a discontinued brand)
- thiothixene - oral, Navane
- chlorpromazine-injection, Thorazine
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- desvenlafaxine (Pristiq, Khedezla)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter