This surgical procedure involves the removal of excess fat, skin, and tissue to reduce the size of the breasts. Complications and side effects of the procedure include breast pain, tiredness, scarring, and inadequate healing of the nipple area, which may require a skin graft. Serious potential side effects include fever, unusual discharge from the incision site, and sutures coming out before they are due to be removed. Read more: Breast Reduction Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Cosmetic Surgery: Before and After Photos of Cosmetic Surgeries
Thinking about getting plastic surgery? Check out before and after pictures of popular cosmetic surgery procedures, including:...
Related Disease Conditions
Breastfeeding (and Formula Feeding)
It's important to know whether you will breastfeed or bottle-feed your baby prior to delivery, as the breasts' ability to produce...
The breast, or mammary gland is made up of lobules, milk producing glands, and a system of ducts to transport milk. Both males...
Local ResourcesFind a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- CDC Warns of Dangers of Plastic Surgery in Dominican Republic
- New Guidelines Issued on Breast, Genital Plastic Surgery for Teen Girls
- More Americans Opting for Butt Implants, Lifts
- Obesity Tied to Risk of Complications After Plastic Surgery
- Steep Drops in Weight May Raise Risks After Body-Contour Surgeries
- Surprise: Guys and Girls Both Check Out Breasts
- As Economy Rebounds, More Folks Try Turning Back Hands of Time
- Large Breasts Can Take Mental, Physical Toll on Teens
- 'Chinplants' Fastest Growing Plastic Surgery Trend
- Cosmetic Procedures Up Overall, Steady for Teens
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter