If a woman doesn't want to have breast implants after a mastectomy, she may have her breast(s) reconstructed with her own body tissue. This is commonly known as a flap procedure. There are two methods of flap procedures: tunneling and free-flap. Side effects include pain, itching, numbness or tingling, and fluid collection under the wound. Read more: Breast Reconstruction Without Implants Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Breast Lumps (In Women)
Breast lumps in women can have a variety of causes such as breast inflammation, infection, injuries, cancer, and non-cancerous...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
A hematoma is a collection of blood that is outside a blood vessel. There are different areas where hematomas occur including:...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
The breast, or mammary gland is made up of lobules, milk producing glands, and a system of ducts to transport milk. Both males...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Inflammatory breast cancer is an accelerated form of breast cancer that is not usually detected by mammogram or ultrasound....
Scar formation is a natural part of the healing process after injury. The depth and size of the wound incision and the location...
Paget Disease of the Breast (Paget's Disease of the Nipple)
Paget's disease is a rare form of cancer that forms in or around the nipple and frequently coexists with breast cancer. The exact...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Local ResourcesFind a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Breast Cancer Husband
- Breast Cancer Treatment Update
- Breast Cancer: A Feisty Women's Discussion
- Breast Cancer, Taking Control: Self-Advocacy 101
- Breast Cancer: The Male View on Survival and Support
- Breast Cancer: Mother-daughter relationships
- Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer: Early Diagnosis and Prevention
- Breast Cancer Treatments. Oct. 29, 2002.
- Breast Cancer: Early Stage Treatments
- Breast Cancer: Clinical Trials - Today's Cutting Edge
- Breast Cancer, Metastatic: Treatment Goals and Therapy Options -- Harold J. Burstein, MD
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Breast Implants Top List of Plastic Surgeries
- When Reconstructing a Breast, Patient's Own Tissue Is Best
- More Women Having Reconstruction Surgery After Breast Cancer Treatment
- More Breast Cancer Patients Choosing Reconstructive Surgery, Study Finds
- Surgery Checklists Help OR Teams in a Crisis, Study Finds
- Why Some Breast Cancer Patients Forgo Implants