Patient Comments: Breast Lumps - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your breast lumps? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: John, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had a double hernia operation on a Monday and was discharged after I urinated about a thimble full of urine. When I came home I had terrible pain and called the nurse the following day. From Tuesday until Saturday I held urine and it caused me to hold 4 liters of urine. That is about two 32 oz bottles; wow, was I in pain! Then I went to the emergency room because I could not take the pain any longer which I thought was from the operation. When the Foley catheter was inserted they had to remove the liquid in stages fearing spasm of the bladder. I remained in the hospital due to high levels of kidney failure; numbers around 5.3. It went down after three days in the hospital. Now I am at home still with the catheter and hoping that drugs will shrink the prostate so I can have the catheter removed to resume normal urinating. Hope this helps you if you have a similar situation.

Comment from: Doctor, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I slipped on a rain slick stair 30 years ago. The provider I saw, laughed and wrote a prescription for a year's supply of Motrin, and said that no one was going to be bothered by this fracture but me. He was correct. I have been bothered by tailbone pain for 30 years, in a constantly increasing fashion. At age 69, I can barely tolerate sitting, but getting up is worse, and please don't make me sit down again once I'm up. Now I can't take NSAIDs so it is much more apparent.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 51 years old and have fibrocystic breast disease. It affects both breasts. I have had it since my mid-teens. I have both adenomas and fluid filled cysts. I have almost always been able to feel these lumps myself. On occasion my breasts do leak fluid. When a new cyst forms, it is often painful, but this usually goes away after a while even though the lump does not. I have had many, many ultrasounds and mammograms. I have had a few biopsies, by needle, core tissue sample and surgical removal of the lump in question. So far none of them have been cancerous. I am very grateful for the doctors, techs, surgeons and pathologists who have taken care of me through all of this. I understand the fear and stress in the waiting, but I also know the importance of being extremely accurate in the investigative process, even when this takes more time than I wish it would.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

two or three times it sort of very sharp pain.

Comment from: survivor53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I was never good about getting yearly mammograms. I always felt my own breast and hoped for the best. Well one day I felt my right breast and behold a lump, maybe the size of a pea near my nipple. I had my husband feel it to make sure I wasn't imagining things and he felt it too. I went to my doctor, he felt it and told me to make an appointment for a mammogram. The mammogram showed nothing, but the lump was still there, so it was biopsied and they found 1st stage cancer. I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy done with removal of lymph nodes. The lump was not painful. The doctor said it had been there for six years. Make sure you constantly do breast checks, mammograms are good, but sometimes miss lumps.

Comment from: KT, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I found a breast lump a few days ago, waiting to go see family physician. A couple months ago both my breasts had a bruise like marking on them along the line of where my bra would sit on the top of my breasts. Are these bruises related to a symptom of a breast lump? I thought it was just that my bra was too tight and stopped wearing that particular one. The bruising has never gone away.

Comment from: hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a small pimple that, in a matter days, formed a small lump under my right breast.

Cancer Symptoms Women Ignore Slideshow