Patient Comments: Breast Cancer - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you have for breast cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

The emergency room gave me a chest x-ray because I had severe pain under my left breast when I breathe in deep. I had a watery cough ever since the flu 7 weeks prior. The nurse practitioner said the x-ray was clear and that I have bronchitis. I was given an antibiotic 4 days ago, but it still hurts to breathe in. I am thinking this is something else as I am not improving much, but the wateriness has lessened a bit.

Comment from: Joanne, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

After seeing a 'suspicious' area on mammogram, I had a breast ultrasound and FNA (fine needle aspiration) biopsy followed by an MRI. In addition, part of my biopsy was sent for molecular grading in order to predict the probability of the cancer returning. I had surgery for breast cancer followed by 7 weeks of radiation therapy. I will be taking letrozole for the next 5 years.

Comment from: sherl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m a 2 times breast cancer patient. I was in remission for 15 years. In 2009 I had a radical mastectomy. Fifteen lymph nodes were removed and reconstructive surgery done, and 8 rounds of chemotherapy. The chemotherapy saved my life. I was diagnosed with carcinoma from a needle biopsy. Having early intervention and early treatment can save lives.

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had mastectomy of the left breast and 18 lymph nodes removed (16 positive). I had chemotherapy and radiation and I am currently on Arimidex.

Comment from: Jewels, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had my first treatment, but now I am experiencing swelling in my body, from my face to my feet.

Comment from: mwg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

For two years my mammograms showed an abnormality that was considered nominal. The third year they finally got a clue and had me go for a biopsy of what they felt was a cyst. The journey began then as after two lumpectomies. After the mastectomy I am now being advised I should still get radiation and possibly chemo. I almost feel like I could have eradicated the six months of nerve-wracking stress and indecision as I am ending up right along with everyone that went straight to mastectomy and chemo. Another thing, I advise all my friends now to read their mammo results and challenge everything! I pray for all those on this road already and hope for strength as I join them.

Comment from: Frankie Jean Thomas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with low grade infiltrating ductal carcinoma. Small cancer cells were removed. My lymph nodes showed no signs of cancer. I have been prescribed Femara. I have read about the horrible side effects. Is anyone on or has been on Femara? If so, I would like your views.

Comment from: Jewels, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I had a mammogram in December of 2011. Everything was normal. In December of 2012 I went for my yearly mammogram and I thought all was well as it has always been. When I went to see my primary physician for my 3-6 month blood glucose level testing, he informed me that I needed to have another mammogram because there appeared to be some irregularities. So it began. After another mammogram, an ultrasound, and a MRI, I was diagnosed with a mass the size of a pea, approximately 5mm. The radiologist who read the report was very impersonal and curt. He said, “This is cancerous; you will need it removed, then undergo chemotherapy and radiation. He did not know me from "Adam." I went to see a breast surgeon, she performed a biopsy, and here I am now. At age 67, I have to decide whether I want to have a bilateral mastectomy, am waiting for breast reconstruction to begin, and am dreading having to go through chemotherapy. Please everyone – do not think that mammograms do not work.

Comment from: In A Moment's Notice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

In August of 1999, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. During that time, I kept a journal and copies of every medical record detailing the course of my treatment. Breast cancer and its treatment have evolved over the past ten years in remarkable ways. The staging and pathology reports that I review now look very different to me from when I was dissecting and trying to understand my pathology report eleven years ago.

Comment from: Pixie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Laser surgery saved me misery of breast cancer surgery. I had Stg11/DCIS; oncologist insisted I have total mastectomy, plus all lymph nodes removed. I sought alternative treatment, had Laser Surgery to remove cancer, 5 lymph nodes removed. I have my pathology report and cancer free/all margins clear. Laser surgery should be more promoted to save the pain of horrid surgery, no cutting, no bleeding or drainage to allow cancer cells to escape, plus I still have 90% of my own breast and no need for reconstruction. I am so thankful I found Laser Breast Clinic and feel medical institutes should do more to promote this painless and quick recovery alternative.

Comment from: Unknown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

Newly diagnosed with Stage II breast cancer w/ lymph node involvement (one). Have had the surgery. Dr. strongly advises chemo. Plan is 4 cycle of Taxotere and Cytoxan, hormone therapy, radiation. I am totally petrified!! So" frozen" about this decision. Can't bear the humiliation of having no hair (a wig doesn't alleviate this) and the loss of control of my life and family due to fatigue!! Has anyone had this chemo and these fears beforehand? If so, please share how chemo was for you.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter