Patient Comments: Breast Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience when you developed breast cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My breast cancer was a lobular breast cancer. They tell me it often does not show up on mammograms. I was lucky I chose to have my checkup using the 3D mammogram. I believe that is how it was found. Even the radiologist did not think it was cancer but wanted to do biopsy anyway to be safe. It did not show up at all on an ultrasound. It was stage 1 and I had a lumpectomy and radiation. I could feel nothing so it was only the checkup that found it. But please use both 3D mammograms and self-check because I have many friends who felt their cancer even though nothing showed up in the screening.

Comment from: doloresesterline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had inverted nipple which looked blackish with blood drainage before being diagnosed with breast cancer.

Comment from: Joanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My breast cancer was diagnosed solely by mammogram. I had no symptoms.

Comment from: AJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I was fibrocystic so I sometimes experienced breast pain and my breasts were dense. Almost from the beginning, they were secretly tracking my microcalcifications. Then I had biopsies maybe eight years ago. My 'call back' mammograms looked like stars sparkling in a dark night, microcalcifications everywhere. Then two years ago, they discovered a tiny lump not yet palpable by hand and it was cancer. It hadn't spread yet to the nodes so no chemotherapy or radiation. I had no symptoms.

Comment from: wonda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was diagnosed with stage 3A breast cancer at age 51. I had pain in the breast and found the lump myself. The lump was large and I could see that the nipple was inverted.

Comment from: Beermaid1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I started noticing a lump that kept popping up and down on the side of my neck. It never was painful but it started getting bigger and staying up longer. I was feeling very tired and fatigued and finally a doctor listened to my symptoms and did a CT. Then I got a PET scan and the next thing I know I get the call that I have breast cancer and it has spread to my lymph nodes and possibly my liver. People, just know if you feel like something is wrong, don"t give up and keep telling and searching for the right doctor that will listen to you and find out what is going on before it's too late!

Comment from: BJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

After 3 benign tumors, which were found through self-examination and never seen on mammogram, I was very concerned when my breast appeared enlarged and like orange peel. I thought it felt different, but it wasn't like the other 3 times. Mammogram picked up nothing, and it was done twice. I didn't trust the results and my family doctor listened and sent me to a surgeon for a biopsy.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had a lump in my breast where I felt a tugging sensation. It got worse and worse and finally after a year, I went to have it checked. I also had a very itchy nipple.

Comment from: 3 girls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

When I developed breast cancer, there was some tenderness in my breasts and they didn"t look the same. They were deflated and dimple inward which was strange.

Comment from: Sumnermariel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I felt a painful lump at the 10 o'clock position in my right breast. It continued to get more and more painful and appeared to be enlarging after about six months.

Comment from: agatehunter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had no symptoms – in fact, my doctor could not feel anything when she examined me after I got "the letter." I had another mammogram, some kind of ultrasound, and an MRI before they could really see it. It was an aggressive cancer, so it shows the importance of early detection. I tell my female loved ones to make sure they get a mammogram every year, no excuses!

Pink Ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Comment from: Katelynn wiggins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I started getting lumps everywhere in one of my breasts. Now I can't walk and I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Lex11113, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My friend had breast cancer. She is fine now but she went through a huge struggle. I'm glad she is here with me now.

Comment from: tutor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My mammogram indicated something and my doctor said that I should have a biopsy or surgery. I also have two lumps in my right armpit and a small one in my left. My doctor hasn't gotten back to me about anything yet.

Pink Ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness Month