Patient Comments: Breast Biopsy - Experience

Describe your experience with your breast biopsy.

Comment from: nofun, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 20

You are given injection of lidocaine before the breast biopsy. It burns badly and takes away about 20 percent of the pain. Probe going in hurts terribly, you have no ability even to take a breath. You doctor will tell you it is going to get better as it goes, but no, it is not going to get better and your doctor knows it is anatomically impossible to make it better, he is just trying to calm you down. Not really, he just wants you to let him insert a 4 mm drill like device in your breast. That big because it is more convenient for him and pathologist. The amount of tissue ripped out of your body is 4 times bigger then the target area, because it is convenient for pathology report. You were told a small amount of tissue would be taken, well, it is 4 cubic cm. You are told to take pain reliever, it does not work, even 6 weeks after you are still in pain and still swollen and still wake up at night from pain, but of course from the medical perspective it does not matter. No one told you that nerve damage and lymph flow damage is permanent when you signed consent to the procedure. No one told you that it would feel like you are burned and then nail is inserted into the middle of the burn. And then you open you medical record and read, 'patient tolerated biopsy well with a minimal bleeding.'

Comment from: noname1*, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I had vacuum core needle biopsies on both breasts at same time. The first one was much more painful. I believe the technician or the doctor needs to allow more time between numbing with lignocaine and injecting the needle. I beg, please consider this, for the patient's comfort, instead of your scheduling appointments. Yes, painful. I am still wearing bra 24/7 as 'skin bandages', still holding on 3 weeks later.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I had a core breast biopsy today and screamed through the whole procedure. The numbing agent clearly didn't work and they just kept giving me more saying we need more samples. Barbaric. I will be calling the hospital tomorrow and asking why they are ok with patients screaming in pain, and doing nothing about it. All they cared about were their samples.

Comment from: friendly stranger, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I recently had 4 biopsies in total, one on my right breast, two on my left breast and one in my underarm on the left. Everyone's pain tolerance is different but I wish I had been given some painkillers besides the local anesthetic injections. The local anesthetic injections were extremely painful for me. Others may not have had the post issues I have been experiencing but I was informed the breast tissue will only be tender and swollen for a few days but when I looked up for more information about it online the average breast biopsy takes up to two months for full recovery. I wish they offer sedatives to calm the anxiety down a bit because I had no idea how brutal the gauge sizes would be and how invasive the biopsy procedure really is. Biopsies are vital for testing tissue samples but in my opinion it should be taken as a form of surgery and the patient should be given two forms of painkillers, a sedative alongside the local anesthetic injection.

Comment from: typegirl148, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I just had stereotactic breast biopsy sitting in a chair. I think it sure is better than lying on abdomen for an hour. I had all females and they were wonderful. I am 19 1/2 years out from breast cancer and mammogram showed 4.0 mm mass. The radiologist says she has a good feeling after the biopsies so I am hopeful it is not a recurrence after 19 1/2 years being clean. It wasn't a bad experience at all; no pain just discomfort. Now I am hoping for a good outcome of just scar tissue. Please ladies, get those yearly mammograms and take care of yourself!

Comment from: paul, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

From the age of 16, I have been having problems with my leg. Every time I went to school my leg was numb and weak, I don't really know what happened. We have no money to go to hospital. At age 17 I could not walk any more, the doctor said that I have a low potassium or hypokalemia, I am at age 23 now, and I am so depressed I don't know how I can survive.

Breast Biopsy - Reasons Question: Why did you have a breast biopsy?
Breast Biopsy - Types Question: What kind of breast biopsy procedure did you undergo? Please describe your experience.
Breast Biopsy - Suspicious Growths Question: How did you discover you had a suspicious breast growth?
Breast Biopsy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with breast biopsy.