The breast, or mammary gland is made up of lobules, milk producing glands, and a system of ducts to transport milk. Both males and females have breasts. Abnormal enlargement of breasts in men is referred to as gynecomastia. In women, during pregnancy the breasts grow larger and produce milk. Common medical conditions that affect the breasts include breast cancer, breast lumps, fibrocystic changes and cysts, mastitis, and benign tumors (fibroadenomas). Read more: Breast Anatomy Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Breast Anatomy
The breast refers to the front of the chest or, more specifically, to the mammary gland. See a picture of Breast Anatomy and...
Early Signs & Symptoms of Pregnancy
Read about early signs and symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and...
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Related Disease Conditions
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Thrush (Oral Candidiasis)
Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the Candida fungus. Symptoms of Thrush include pain or difficulty swallowing, a...
Breast Enlargement Surgery (Breast Augmentation)
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Cysts are sac-like structures that may be filled with gas, liquid, or solid materials. Cysts may produce symptoms and signs...
Breast Lumps (In Women)
Breast lumps in women can have a variety of causes such as breast inflammation, infection, injuries, cancer, and non-cancerous...
Lymphedema is a condition in which one or more extremities become swollen as the result of an impaired flow of the lymphatic...
Fibrocystic Breast Condition (Cysts, Fibrosis, Lumps, Changes) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Fibrocystic breast condition (sometimes called fibrocystic breast disease) is characterized by lumpiness and usually pain,...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Inflammatory breast cancer is an accelerated form of breast cancer that is not usually detected by mammogram or ultrasound....
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Paget Disease of the Breast (Paget's Disease of the Nipple)
Paget's disease is a rare form of cancer that forms in or around the nipple and frequently coexists with breast cancer. The exact...
Breast Cancer in Young Women
About 5% of cases of breast cancer occur in women under the age of 40 years old. Some risk factors for breast cancer in young...
Central Precocious Puberty
Central precocious puberty is characterized by the unusual early onset of puberty -- in girls, prior to 8 years of age, and boys,...
Breast Cancer and Lymphedema
Lymphedema is a common chronic, debilitating condition in which excess fluid called lymph collects in tissues and causes swelling...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
Breastfeeding: Common Breastfeeding Challenges
Breastfeeding an infant can cause common challenges both for the mother an infant. Some challenges include sore nipples, low milk...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Estimating Breast Cancer Risk: Questions and Answers
As breast cancer is the most diagnosed non-skin cancer in American women, it is important to know your breast cancer risk. Risk...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Study Confirms Denser Breasts Are More Prone to Cancer
- Dissatisfaction With Breasts May Mean Fewer Self-Checks for Cancer
- Breast Concerns May Sideline Many Teen Girls From Sports
- Some Women Face Geographic Barriers to Breast Reconstruction
- Vegetables in Childhood May Benefit Breast Health
- Do Breast Implants Boost Women's Sex Lives?
- Can Some Women Safely Skip Breast Surgery?
- New Silicone Breast Implants Approved
- Low Prenatal Iodine May Affect Child's Brain Development
- Metformin Won't Aid Breast Cancer Survival in Diabetics
- Angelina Jolie's Double Mastectomy: Q&A
- Menopause-Like Woes Hinder Breast Cancer Treatment: Study
- Human Gene Patent Case Goes to Supreme Court
- Teen Boys With Enlarged Breasts Show Emotional Effects
- For Early Cancer, Lumpectomy Beats Mastectomy for Survival: Study
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Fight Cancer
- Smokers, Nonsmokers Alike Urged to Learn About Lung Cancer
- Black Breast Cancer Patients May Have Higher Death Risk in First 3 Years
- Hypnosis May Ease Hot Flashes in Postmenopausal Women
- Study: No Long-Term Heart Risks From Breast Radiation
- Panel Advises Against Hormones to Prevent Disease
- As Armstrong Case Unfolds, Experts Describe Doping's Harms
- Hormone Therapy in Early Menopause May Benefit Some Women: Study
- Might Smallpox Virus Help Fight a Lethal Breast Cancer?
- Study: Digital Beats Film Mammography at Spotting Breast Cancer
- Novel Drug Approach Shows Promise Against Breast Cancer
- Dense Breasts Not Linked to Cancer Deaths
- Mom's HIV Drugs May Pass to Baby in Womb, Breast-Feeding
- Mammograms Have 'Limited or No Effect' on Breast Cancer Deaths: Study
- Large Breasts Can Take Mental, Physical Toll on Teens
- Exercise Won't Affect Breast Milk, Baby's Growth: Study
- Plastics Chemical Linked to Obesity in Kids
- Even Moderate Exercise Might Cut Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Efficient Disease Risk Prediction a Long Way Off, Experts Say
- Breast MRI Best at Tracking Response to Chemo: Study
- Mammograms Beat Thermography for Breast Cancer Detection: Study
- Men's Breast Cancer Often More Deadly, Study Suggests
- Pacifiers Don't Discourage Breast-Feeding, Study Says
- Breast Cancer Study Could Change Treatment
- Exercise Benefits Breast Cancer Patients
- Health Highlights: April 12, 2012
- Soy Supplements May Cool Hot Flashes: Study
- Teen Drinking May Boost Odds of Precancerous Breast Changes
- Follow-Up Procedures Common in Women After Breast-Conserving Surgery
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Cancer Deaths Continue to Fall
- Dense Breasts May Be Linked to Cancer Recurrence
- Obese Women at Higher Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence: Study
- Two Studies Find Routine Mammography Saves Lives
- FDA OKs 3rd Silicone-Gel Breast Implant
- Health Highlights: Feb. 29, 2012
- New USDA Nutrition Labels for Meat, Poultry
- Health Highlights: Feb. 28, 2012
- Health Tip: Preventing Back Pain Among New Moms
- Exclusive Breast-Feeding Best for Baby: Experts
- Researchers Spot New Gene Mutation Linked to Breast Cancer
- New Guidelines to Help Breast Cancer Survivors
- Study Links Colic in Infants to Migraines in Moms
- Psychotherapy May Ease Hot Flashes After Breast Cancer
- When Mom Has Pregnancy Diabetes, Breast-Feeding Curbs Child Obesity
- 1 in 4 Partial Mastectomy Patients Have Second Surgery
- Too Few Americans Getting Screened for Common Cancers: CDC
- Are Fears That Deodorant Causes Breast Cancer Unfounded?
- Breast Cancer Radiation Linked to Raised Heart Risk
- Limit Cold Medications During Pregnancy, Experts Advise
- 40 Years On, the Triumphs and Challenges of America's 'War on Cancer'
- Targeted Radiation for Breast Cancer May Be Overused: Study
- Moms of Preemies Face Health Problems, Too
- Carriers of Breast Cancer Gene at Risk of Second Cancer
- Bone Drug May Extend Lives of Young Women With Breast Cancer
- Family Tree May Affect Diagnosis Age in Some Breast Cancers
- Breast Cancer Gene Puts Survivors at Higher Odds for Recurrence
- British Study Suggests Mammograms May Do More Harm Than Good
- Bone Drugs May Also Battle Breast Cancer, Researchers Say
- Hispanic Women More Likely to Die of Breast Cancer
- Obesity Linked to Worse Outcomes With Early Breast Cancer
- Avastin Boosted Survival for Type of Aggressive Breast Cancer: Study
- Steps Women Can Take to Reduce Risk of Breast Cancer
- Targeted Radiation May Not Be Better for Breast Cancer
- Mammograms May Halve Breast Cancer Deaths
- Can of Soup a Day Linked to High BPA Levels in Urine
- Tender Breasts From Combo HRT Linked to Higher Cancer Risk
- FDA Rejects Avastin for Breast Cancer
- Breast Reconstruction May Quickly Improve Quality of Life
- Experimental Drug Slims Obese Monkeys
- Common Breast Cancer Gene Test May Be Flawed, Study Says
- Light Drinking Over Time May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- More Women With Breast Cancer Get Nipple-Sparing Surgery
- Vaccine May Help Slow Spread of Lung Cancer
- Breast Cancer Risk May Rise With High Hormone Levels
- Radiation Plus Surgery Cuts Risk of Breast Cancer Return
- Does Fertility Treatment Raise Breast Cancer Risk?
- Genetic Profiling Adds New Dimension to Breast Cancer Treatment
- Married People More Likely to Survive Cancer
- Health Woes Still Strike Women Exposed to Banned Pregnancy Drug
- Next Decade to See Boom in Older Cancer Survivors
- Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Advanced Cancers
- Breast Cancer Death Rates Decline
- Shorter Course of Radiation May Treat Prostate Cancer
- Study: BPA Common in Kids' Canned Foods
- Higher Risk of Second Breast Cancer Seen in Black Women
- Why Many With Breast Implants Fail at Breastfeeding
- Fatty Acids From Formula or Breastfeeding May Boost Mental Development
- Breast Cancer Rates Jump Worldwide, Study Finds
- Long-Term Painkiller Use Linked to Kidney Cancer
- Smoking Might Raise Sex Hormone Levels After Menopause
- FDA: Breast Implant Safety Studies Will Continue
- FDA Questions Studies of Breast Implant Safety
- Breastfeeding May Cut Risk of Some Breast Cancers
- Fat Injections: Safe for Breast Reconstruction After Cancer?
- FDA Panel Opposes New Type of Diabetes Drug
- PSA Test May Help Check for Breast Cancer
- Family History of Cancer Needs to Be Updated as You Age
- New Drug May Help Treat Diabetes
- Cancer Deaths in U.S. Still Dropping
- New Guidelines Suggest Higher Doses of Vitamin D
- 'Fat Transfer' Gets Early Safety OK in Breast Reconstruction
- Decade's Top 10 Public Health Achievements
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Aggressive Breast Cancer
- Is Soy Safe to Eat After Breast Cancer?
- Breast Milk May Hold Clues to Breast Cancer Risk
- Yoga Helps Cancer Survivors Sleep Better