Patient Comments: Branchial Cyst - Experience

Please describe your personal experience with a branchial cyst. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I am 55. I thought I had a swollen gland that started with a cold. The 'swollen gland' didn't go away and I had a daytime cough that morphed and persisted for almost 4 months. I went to an ENT. After an MRI and fine needle aspiration, diagnosis was branchial cleft cyst of the 3rd kind. Mass size was almost 2 inches by 1 inch. Within 2 days after draining fluid from the cyst, the cough almost disappeared. But soon crept back. Theory is, the cyst was pressing on my nerves causing the cough. I had removal surgery just 4 days ago. All went fine. I had no need for any painkillers since. No signs of numbness anywhere. And the coughing seemed to subside.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a 55 year old woman who noticed one day that a lump popped out of the right side of my neck. I went to the emergency room in which I was kept from 10:00 pm until 4:00 pm the following day. They did an ultra-sound and a CT scan and they drained the fluid from the cyst. At that time they told me they thought it was a second branchial cleft cyst. When I was born I had a cyst on the left side of my neck which was removed when I was 5 years old. I was referred to an ENT specialist who did a biopsy on it and it was inconclusive. I ended up having the cyst removed. It has been 3 weeks since my surgery. I have a 3 1/2 inch cut on my right side of my neck and part of my face is still numb. They did a biopsy on the cyst which came out fine.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter