Patient Comments: Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: superduper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I was diagnosed a month ago with a slow growing tumor/cyst that develops as early as in the fetal stage. The symptom that made me go to the doctor was a tiredness that has been bothering me for periods of a few days to a few weeks for the last 10 years or so (turning more frequent and heavier with time), and as I just took my driver's license I wanted to make sure I am not a dangerous driver. None of us expected a tumor, but as all blood tests were fine and despite the (actually quite likely) possibility it might have some psychological explanation, we decided to take an MRI scan to be certain it was not a physical cause to my being tired, before approaching it psychological. After diagnosis we realized that my mild one-sided hearing loss most likely is also a symptom of the tumor. Now aware of it, I notice several small symptoms, especially reduction in cognitive capacity, which I simply wrote off as growing up and changing interests and lifestyle. If it weren't for one heavy and sudden attack of tiredness while driving, I would probably still be unaware of the tumor, thinking my tiredness was due to bad sleeping routines and not being active enough.

Comment from: dizzyblonde, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was just diagnosed with a brain tumor yesterday. I have been having symptoms for about 3 months. I was diagnosed with vestibular neuritis (VN) at first, and then I had an abnormal MRI. My symptoms were headaches, dizziness, nausea, tinnitus, being off balance, and vision problems which are the symptoms of the VN and also a brain tumor. In fact the neurosurgeon said that I may still have the neuritis but the tumor is much more important to take care of. After I read everyone else's symptoms I am so confused and upset. I will be happy when this is over.

Comment from: Gilly, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

I was eventually diagnosed with brain tumor in December 2014. My behavior changed, I was very upbeat, but confused, especially in regard to time. The general physician diagnosed dementia but we paid for an MRI, and this showed a 6 cm x 6 cm tumor glioma.

Comment from: Joseph, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I retired from the US Army and also retired from civil service. I have been retired for 14 years. On March 2, 2016, I was sitting on the couch when my son asked me a question. I didn't answer and he said my eyes were fixed. I recall seeing the EMT (emergency medical technician) guys entering the room. After that, I didn't wake up until I was in the hospital. I don't recall any brain problems. The doctors said I had a seizure. The brain tumor was about the size of a nickel and was cancerous.

Comment from: bug eye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have benign brain tumor surrounding my left eye. I had no pain but my eye started bugging out. I went to many doctors and finally diagnosed with brain tumor, surgery in two weeks. I'm scared I won't be the same after this.

Comment from: lindahorton, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I hate these side effects from my benign tumor and I hope it gets better soon.

Comment from: Brenda das, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Before I was diagnosed with brain tumor, I started to feel lost whilst driving the car. I couldn't find my way home. I couldn't get my clothes on, the right way round. I started to arrive late to my teaching classes but my memory was in general fine with other things. I knocked over drinks and walked into things. I lost my coordination on the left side.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in August 2015. I had tingling in three toes of the left foot for some time which was treated as a trapped nerve. Gradually I noticed the left leg getting weaker and asked to be referred to a neurologist who detected brisk reflexes on the left side. He ordered a spine MRI which was normal. Several months passed by and the weakness continued. Eventually by returning to the neurologist I had a head MRI which showed a large parietal lobe tumor and brain swelling. Once diagnosed, a craniotomy was performed and the tumor was shown to be benign.

Comment from: silverjerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had double knee replacement in December 2014. I began doing weird things leaving lights on and open doors. Then my left side went numb and I began falling down, I stayed outside in northern Wisconsin for a 1/2 hour in 18 degree temperature. It was time to go to the emergency room. The doctor said I had a stroke, did an MRI and said I have some bad news. (I was thinking worse than a stroke!) She informed me of the tennis ball sized tumor residing in the middle of my front brain, and I was off for emergency brain surgery. I then had radiation along with chemotherapy nightmare. Oh well, pushing myself as hard as I can gives me purpose. Peace and love to all.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had a brain tumor and on December 12, 2014 I had it removed. Since I came home from the hospital I have had bad problems with my blood pressure. I have had several visits back to the hospital, and I am now having to take physical therapy. I am having a lot of trouble with walking and I am lightheaded and weak most of the time. This has been going on for 5 months. The tumor was the size of a golf ball and I had swelling of the brain around it.

Comment from: Carl, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I was having problems with my right hand not working correctly. Trying to type or write was difficult. I thought that I had something out of whack, and had gone to several chiropractors thinking that would help. After a couple of weeks, I was sitting in my chair, when my face started twitching uncontrollably. Little did I know I would soon be diagnosed with stage IV brain tumor. People asked if I had headaches, which I didn't. Those were my only symptoms.

Comment from: Ang4eva9, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had a mal grand seizure in August. I then found out I had been having partial seizures for months before. They diagnosed me as having epilepsy. They then found a figure on my MRI which they believed to be a tumor. It is located in my right temporal lobe. I have to wait a month to take another MRI to see if it is growing and go from there. What I am confused about is why we would keep it in my head even if it is benign. The whole waiting is killing me. I have at least one partial seizure a day. My memory is getting bad and I can't remember what I have said, where I put things, and put names or numbers to things. I have had mood swings mostly feeling sad and am always tired. I get random headaches that can last minutes to hours. I just hate putting things on hold because I am not sure what to do next.

Comment from: Rking77911, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I didn't notice it unless I was around loud music, then afterwards I'd feel drunk with loss of balance. Also if I closed my eyes while standing, I'd wobble and lose balance. Then one morning I woke up very dizzy, bouncing into the walls. I thought it was an inner ear infection, was lying down with a heating pad and as I started to sit up my ear started ringing. At the time the brain tumor hadn't been diagnosed.

Comment from: JB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I started with memory problems, then my vision change dramatically. I had sensation of burning, I thought maybe hot flashes, at least 15 a day and continued adding. I had migraines, sensitivity to sound and light, needle pain to my left ear, and nausea. And today a new symptom from the brain tumor, a constant sound in my head and is not going away since 4 pm. Current time 7:05 pm. I had radiation treatment for 30 sessions around C3 and C4 (my tumor was eating this cervical vertebrae was not cancerous). I had more than 10 MRI and CT scans. I'm a 48 year old woman weighing 150 lb.

Comment from: katn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have a brain tumor, I don't have a name for it yet. I'm waiting now for biopsy results. I'm told it's been there a while, it's located in the right parietal lobe kind of into frontal lobe too. My symptoms have been many till finding, first the bone-weary exhaustion, pain in all my body, double vision, optic migraines, and always what I thought was carpal tunnel. Then I guess it grew some. My ears sing all the time, sound like all the bugs an birds in the world... good thing I'm deaf, ha ha. Then the hammer fell while trying to get treatment for fibromyalgia and sacroiliitis. I was given Cymbalta to take, boy, I did not think I'd live through that very bad experience. But it left me without the use of my left arm, very little balance, and speech difficulties. Which led to immediate MRI and finding of brain tumor. I'm working to regain what I lost and can use my arm again, but fine motor skills just haven't been cooperative yet but I'm not done. So if you think you have a tumor in your head, check for the stroke signs, check sense of smell, and I mean each side separate. Check for weaknesses on either side, but those checks still do not cover all parts of the brain, sometimes only the MRI will see. And remember brain tumors usually aren't the cause of everything, they just aren't as popular as other troubles. Good luck to all.

Comment from: positive, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I started having vision problems that consisted of lightning strikes and black spots, loss of balance, loss of hearing on one side, facial numbness and swallowing difficulties. It took doctors nine months to agree to refer me to a specialist that found an inoperable benign tumor on my brain stem. I wasn"t given a favorable diagnosis and started using natural remedies, I have been lucky as it has been held at bay for the last seven years. Doctors are surprised and tell me to keep doing what I"m doing.

Comment from: Shivi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m 36 and got operated for brain stem benign tumor on January 18, 2014. That was just after a week I got to know that I was suffering from brain tumor. My symptoms were there for almost a year and they were throbbing pain, loss of balance, nausea, blindness and irritability. All these were for fractions of seconds. I could diagnose my problem by the help and advice of an eye surgeon. I profusely thank him for making me aware at the right time.

Comment from: Brandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm a 33 year old brain tumor survivor. I found out when I was 23 that I have a central neurocytoma. I had terrible migraines for over two years, loss of balance, nausea, floaters, temporary blindness and dizziness.

Comment from: Ernie167, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with a meningioma and a brain stem tumor in August 2013. They are benign but I have symptoms daily, mild headaches, dizziness and nausea. I was just put on medications yesterday. Let's see if they will control my symptoms.

Comment from: Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been getting bad headaches for over a year now. I am dizzy, nauseous, my ears keep feeling clogged and everything echoes, and they are ringing. I lost about 4 lb. I went to an ENT and they did a hearing test they said that I have a little loss of hearing and that there is no fluid in my ears. They are scheduling an MRI for me. I am worried if these could be symptoms of brain tumor.

Comment from: apartmenttwoa, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I was having terrible headaches for months and finally decided to go in after blacking out on a few occasions, when I was diagnosed with brain tumor.

Comment from: Meagan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have dizzy spells before I pass out. It happens for no reason at random times. I've progressively been losing sight in my right eye until it has all but deteriorated. I have random nausea and vomiting, though not often. I get the hiccups every day and they are so hard that they actually hurt my lungs. They told me I was anemic which is why I kept passing out, and then my doctor told me I had a spastic diaphragm disorder because of hiccups. The pressure behind my eyes can be unbearable. I want to know what is actually wrong, why all the odd, seemingly unrelated health issues. I want to know what is going on with my body, but I fear the problem is in my brain.

Comment from: terry7r8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Luckily I work for neurosurgeons. I started having headaches on Monday last week. By Wednesday, one of the doctors noticed dropping on one side of my face, and I went for scans. A mass was found in my brain, I had a biopsy on Thursday and was home by Saturday. I will start chemotherapy/radiation in about 4 weeks. I'm a very positive person and believe that as I speak it the disease is healing in my head. I was very lucky.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had a benign tumor, close to my brain stem, removed last year February 2013! I would like to know if anyone has experienced bladder or bowel problems! I am healing well from brain tumor but my bladder pain is causing me terrible distress! I've been to the urologist and they can find nothing and concluded in must be the brain tumor!

Comment from: henry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I'm 25, I've been having a lot of weird headaches, not normal ones, very hard that last for seconds and then go. I have blurry vision, loss of balance and feel dizzy at times along with a lot of nausea. I pretty much have almost every brain tumor symptoms but I don't have healthcare. I´ve been trying to get a free one from the government but it takes a lot of time to get it so now I'm just waiting. Some days are better than others, sometimes the symptoms are very strong and at other times they are barely noticeable. If you feel something like that and you have the chance to go to a doctor, do it, don't think twice. I am very scared and I haven't told this to any of my family members.

Comment from: Sharlton, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 25 and I had a brain tumor the size of a tennis ball and it sat right there at my frontal left side. I just want to let you know that, that part of your brain contains your speech, your balance and your sight. You see, they have removed my tumor in November 2013 but I still have all those problems. But now I am getting radiation, only 30 sessions but I had to there between Monday and Friday at least my radiation is going to end at Tuesday 4th of March and I can"t wait for that because I have only 3 sessions left.

Comment from: jenniferrsw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had headaches but they did not seem abnormal. I had an MRI years ago and was diagnosed with migraines. My first real indication with brain tumor was a massive seizure. I woke up in an ambulance and was in 3 hospitals in 4 days.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My dad (73) has been diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumor. He had his biopsy, and it is the worst form he could have. He had a small dose of radiation therapy, more for quality of life than to ease the swelling. Nothing more can be done for him, and we are still in shock as our dad had no previous symptoms. He was rarely sick. He did have stroke-like symptoms that were diagnosed when he went to the doctor, but as the symptoms got worse, his doctor referred him to the hospital. In his case, he did not suffer with any pain or headaches. So it goes to show, symptoms are not always present.

Comment from: Allyson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Six years before they discovered my brain tumor, I visited the doctors several times. I had a blood clot to my eye, and they didn't know why. I was 46 at the time. Then I experienced tightening across my shoulders and shortness of breath. I was getting palpitations and was put under the care of a heart doctor who found a mild swelling of the aorta. After that, I got headaches and dizzy spells. Then, finally, I had a stroke down the left side of my face. My tumor was benign. It was as big as a kiwi fruit and was called a left anterior fossa meningioma cavernous sinus. It was removed with an eight-hour operation five months ago. Now I feel great, apart from still being numb on the site of the operation and having thinning hair. I'm so pleased with the doctors for saving my life; it's fantastic.

Comment from: Survivor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With my brain tumor, I had headaches for many, many years, but I thought they were because of job stress and being a single mom, etc. Eventually, they got really bad, and I could hardly see anything out of my right eye. My optometrist had a look and told me to go see a specialist immediately. I was diagnosed with a grapefruit-sized meningioma, which was removed three years ago after a 13-hour operation. I am still blind in one eye, and I experience numbness on the right side of my face. I have learned to live this way, I was told I might end up being paralyzed.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 53 years old and have had Epilepsy since the age of 11 but the medics have been trying many different combinations of drugs to control the seizures throughout my life. It wasn't until my optician picked up on some visual field loss caused by long term use of Sabril that she recommended that I be put back in contact with a specialist again. By this time, it was possible to have an MRI scan which was previously unavailable. This picked up a tumor on my right temporal lobe area. They are keeping a regular check on it to make sure its not getting larger, but the epilepsy still occurs and I'm too frightened to have the tumor removed as its uncertain what other faculties might be interfered with.

Comment from: Ammu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I am having continuous headache. I fear that I have brain tumor.

Comment from: Izzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I got a CT scan Monday and they found a mass in my brain. I'm scared, it is by my fourth ventricle against my brain stem. I have no hydrocephalus.

Comment from: Priyanka, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

For last one month I had fever but after taking medicine I am still ill, I have very bad headache. I have all body pain badly, I lose my concentration, and also lose my memory is affected. I am concerned it is brain tumor.

Comment from: jenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

My symptoms of brain tumor were tiredness and fainting.

Comment from: skip, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am diabetic and I have neuropathy. I reel when I walk. The doctor thinks an MRI will show a brain tumor.

Comment from: nono, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a 33 years old lady. I"m not diagnosed yet but there"s something worrying me. I"ve been sick for the past 5 months, I"ve changed hospitals but the doctors can"t help me because they can"t see anything. All my blood tests were negative. My problem is I"ve got a headache that pulls my neck muscles and there"s some tingling sensation like something is moving in my head. I wonder if that can be a sign of brain tumor because I don"t have balance when walking and I"m weak.

Comment from: Kelp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

With my brain tumor, he first clear sign that something was weird was a heightened sense of smell.

Comment from: norby, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I simply woke up in the hospital, thank goodness I woke up! I had GBM (glioblastoma multiforme) grade IV in the right temporal lobe. I had surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. I was a healthy guy worked as a deep sea diver, rode a Harley, raced flat track and was fit as I could be. Now… I'm just glad I know my name.

Comment from: SierraLaDonn, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My grandfather is in the hospital right now for a brain tumor. The whole back of his brain is nothing but a huge tumor. It's even eating through his skull. He just turned 72 a couple days ago. His symptoms that I know of are weight loss, no appetite, weakness, etc.

Comment from: carolyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

i had a brain tumor in 2003 and had a surgery one week after they found the tumor and it left me with weakness on the right side of my face, and in 2006 they diagnosed another tumor i had another surgery. I now have mengioma and I have 4 tumors on my brain (noncancer). I have headache every day now my body on the right side is weakening. I cant do anything but pray that they don't grow anymore.

Comment from: UNPHASED, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a few of what I later learned were "auras" . Anxious feelings and odd sensations that were unusual for me a typically gregarious individual. I have been in a 20 year relationship and my gf noticed my unusual behaviors so we scheduled an MRI which revealed the tumor. No headaches, no pain , virtually no other symptoms other than unusual feelings of paranoia. My tumor was/is thankfully a low level glioma which will require regular MRI scans but my situation is better than most so I feel fortunate.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had bad headaches, occasional simple seizures, trouble controlling my bowels and bladder, and occasional nausea and vomiting after dining out.

Comment from: crono_220, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

One year ago I found out that I had a benign brain tumor around 9 cm large in my head. It caused me many great headaches and was pushing against my brain, causing my sight to deteriorate. Thankfully I had my mom with me to support my hour of need. After I was diagnosed I went under the knife the next day. I really thought I was going to die. Thankfully after a week the surgery was successful. I recovered and have started on a path to eating healthy and exercising more.

Comment from: wyograbdna, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My grandson was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor nine years ago when he was 5. He had an operation, received radiation and chemotherapy, and has done beautifully. He is smart and athletic. He has taken growth hormones. He has had a hearing problem, and two days ago, we found out his "brain is coming out of the hole in his skull" (His father's words). He will be operated on next week.

Comment from: Louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I started having seizures, which I thought were a result of a laparoscopy I had. My doctor thought they were epilepsy, so she sent me for tests. That's when the brain tumor was found.

Comment from: Snowybrooke, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

The symptoms I had with my brain tumor included numbness on the right side of my tongue and then a day later, numbness on the right side of my lips. Within a week, my cheek, nose, eye, and ear on the right side all went numb. I also had slurred speech.

Comment from: Stacey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. I don't even know if it is cancerous or not yet. Several lesions had everyone scrambling for an MS diagnosis. The second MRI showed the tumor. My head hurts, and I have painful pressure in my ears. I couldn't remember my dog's name the other night, and I can't concentrate on reading or writing anymore unless it is short periods. My short-term memory is bad, but my long-term is still pretty good. Thank God I haven't had any seizures or stomach upsets.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have always had headaches, but they got stronger in the last two months. I thought I was just having a bad toothache and went to see a dentist. I started having trouble remembering words and would have to make one up to cover for what I was talking about. One morning at work I could not remember what I was trying to tell a family I was working with (I am a funeral director/embalmer). I could see what I wanted to say, but I couldn't make the words go together. I left work talking confused and my co-workers and family got me to go to the ER. They did a CAT scan and found a cloud. They did an MRI at a larger hospital the next day and found a tumor on the left side above and in front of my ear, about the size of a golf ball. They don't know how long it has been there, but I am to have surgery two days from now to remove and see if it is cancer or not.

Published: June 19

I was having minor seizures everyday not knowing that they were seizures. People at work and family members would ask me if I was okay every time I had an episode. They would tell me I was saying things that didn't make sense when I was having an episode and I would have no memory of it. I remember being extremely tired after I had an episode, napping often. I finally seen a doctor regarding it and they first diagnosed me with anxiety and thought the episodes I tried explaining to them were panic attacks and sent me home with a bottle of Xanax. Without the proper diagnosis my symptoms started worsening losing memory, being unconscious due to the seizures which resulted in 3 car accidents. I went back a 2nd time they finally gave me a MRI and found a tumor a size of golf ball. I was one of the fortunate ones with a benign ganglioma where surgery was possible and successful. No one would be able to tell that I had a brain surgery today unless I revealed it to them. God is Good.

Published: June 18

I am a black female, age 57. At the age of 44, I had a benign brain tumor removed. My symptoms were trouble walking, slight change in my personality and trouble putting my thoughts in order. My tumor was located behind my left ear, the portion of the brain that affects your motor skills. My husband passed three days after my diagnosis.

Published: June 16

My husband had vision loss (rapid onset of losing one half vision in one eye, a third in the other), and a rather peculiar symptom of suddenly smelling something not in his environment, a smell he could recall from his past but could not specifically identify - this would last for a minute or so. We went to six doctors with them not finding a cause for it. Then in a week he began having speech difficulties, where he could not say the correct word for something - at that point an MRI was done, and the docs found he had a malignant (secondary) brain tumor.

Published: June 13

My mum was 63 and she had a seizure, when she had a scan it showed a tumor the size of an egg in her brain it was on the left side of her brain and affected her speech and right side, mum had her operation and most was removed, mum came home for a month, and then the seizures started again, Doctors gave mum a date for chemo of 4th July but mum lost her battle for life on the 3rd July, the tumor grew downwards deeper into her brain and she lost speech, movement, swallowing. Mums brave battle lasted ten weeks, the sooner a cure and treatment is found for this cruel disease the better.

Published: June 11

My symptoms were I had no control of my left foot. I was unable to get my shoes on. My treatment was whole brain radiation. I also suffered with lung cancer and bone cancer. The brain tumor was on the right side of my brain on the frontal lobe.

Published: June 11

In my experience with a benign brain tumor, I kept a "dull" headache not severe but ever present. I started having problems with my mensural cycle, having a period and a week later another, my gyn ordered tests to rule out a pituitary tumor, and instead found a much larger tumor in the right frontal lobe.

Published: June 06

My daughter had brain surgery and chemo wafers were put in the brain. She is 20. We were told she had an aggressive cancer. Six days later the pathology report said it was not cancer. She had another brain surgery the next day to remove the wafers and the rest of the tumor. Six weeks later, she is still fighting infection, the skin around the incision is dying, the DR says he doesn't know why, she has a fever most of the time; she had a grand mal seizure, and has head aches that are unbearable. I can't find any info on what happens to a person who gets chemo wafers and doesn't need them. What damage does it do? How long does it last? No one wants to talk about it at the hospital. Where does a person go for answers? Has anyone else had this happen? What was the outcome?

Published: June 02

I had a brain tumor 5yrs ago it was benign my right eye was sunk into the back of my head putting pressure on the brain everything now clear hopefully wont return. Please check all symptoms don't put anything off.

Published: June 02

I had some throbbing in my head when I would bend over. Also, nauseous from time to time. Very unusual for me.

Comment from: Glenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had a lot of headaches, which I assumed were due to the fact I have migraines (diagnosed) since the age of 11. My headaches had become so severe that nothing caused the pain to cease. My head became very tender to touch; I could not even to tolerate moving my hair on the top part of my head. I eventually went to the Dr., who immediately ordered an MRI. This found my problem. Please do not put off going to the Dr. If you have symptoms. I wish I hadn't.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had no headaches at all. I had a brain seizure, my husband called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital. The doctors said after my scan that I had a mass on my brain. They didn't think it was cancer by my blood work. I had scans done on my whole body, which came back negative from cancer. A few days later I had the tumor removed everything went well. I was on Keppra for 3 months. My surgery was done in March. Two weeks and I had another seizure, was put back on Keppra.

Comment from: Pat, Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I have lived and worked in the health service in the USA, England and Northern Ireland and notice a large number or brain tumors in rural Ireland. In my village of 600 people I know of at least 10 who have brain tumors and with virtually no pollution. I fear it could be due to the phosphates and waste which gets into the water system from the farmers fields. Many fish have also died here in the past 10 years. I wondered if these things are linked.

Comment from: bryan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I am most concerned I feel nausea every day light headed and extremely dry mouth, I also pick up strong smells that others say aren't there. I have yellow discoloring of the fingers and have trouble concentrating words are difficult. My problem is that I am in Borneo jungle with little health care. I feel I must return to UK. Would any one know the best place to go?

Comment from: kry love, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I am nineteen years old and recently I found out my mom was told she had a brain tumor. When I talked to someone about it, she told me the best thing I could do was to tell my mom, I was there for her and supported her. Sometimes having someone there is the best medicine for the patient.

Comment from: sonia johnson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2000 and thank god it was benign. I was pregnant at the time and I guess that created the spring board for the onset of my headaches. After the hospital did a c-section and took my baby, they then did an mri and discovered that I had a brain tumor. I am now tumor free after 8 years and must return on a regular basis for my check ups.

Published: July 10

I had a brain tumor some years ago, which was removed after a 13-hour operation. My right inner ear was removed, and I had to have treatment for vocal chords. (I can't sing anymore!) My right shoulder is paralyzed, and I have great difficulty in swallowing. The right side of my face is not quite in alignment with the left side. But I am grateful that I can do most things, drive etc. I am now 75 years old. It took two years to find the tumor, which was buried deep at base of my brain and affected my nervous system. I am thankful to the doctors and surgeons who operated on me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter