Brain damage causes destruction or deterioration of brain cells. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) are two kinds of brain damage. Symptoms may include headaches, confusion, memory problems, nausea, and more. Treatment includes patient stabilization and ensuring that blood and oxygen are flowing to the brain. Adequate blood pressure control is also necessary. In cases of severe brain damage, surgery and rehabilitation may be required. Read more: Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Article
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Brain aneurysm (cerebral aneurysm) is caused by microscopic damage to artery walls, infections of the artery walls, tumors,...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Tremor is the involuntary movements of one or more parts of the body. Causes of tremor include neurological disorders,...
Brain Tumor (Symptoms, Signs, Types, Causes, Survival Rates)
A brain tumor can be either non-cancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant), primary, or secondary. Common symptoms of a primary...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused when an artery bursts in the brain, causing localized bleeding in the surrounding...
Cancers that form from brain tissue are called primary brain tumors. Brain tumors may be malignant (brain cancer) or benign....
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Head Injury (Brain Injury)
In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Concussion is a short-lived loss of brain function that is due to head trauma. There are two types of concussion, simple and...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow, and how abnormal they look under a...
Drowning (Dry, Wet, Near)
Drowning is a common cause of death and disability worldwide. In the US, it is the third most common cause of accidental death....
Reye's syndrome (RS or Reye syndrome) is a sudden, sometimes fatal, disease of the brain with degeneration of the liver. Reye...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Headaches in Children
Kids get headaches and migraines too. Many adults with headaches started having them as kids, in fact, 20% of adult headache...
Brain Damage - Symptoms
Do you know how to spot the symptoms of brain damage?Post
Brain Damage - Causes
Please describe the cause of brain damage for you, a friend, or family member.Post View 6 Comments
Brain Damage - Treatment
Please discuss the treatment or therapy for a brain injury.Post
Brain Damage - Prevention
If you have been affected by brain injury, what are ways of reducing risk?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Blurred Vision
- Dilated Pupils (Mydriasis)
- Loss of Taste Sensation
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Difficulty With Speech
- Increased Appetite
- Altered Mental Status
- Vision Loss
- Poor Hygiene
- Memory Loss
- Unsteady Gait
- Fainting (Syncope)
- Double Vision
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Hearing Loss
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Does Time of Neurosurgery Matter?
- Gene Therapy May Be Breakthrough for Boys With 'Lorenzo's Oil' Disease
- Combined MRI Might Help Predict Brain Damage in Boxers
- Nearly All Autopsied NFL Players Show Trauma-Linked Brain Disease
- Scans May Show Consciousness in 'Comatose' Patients
- Oxygen Therapy Revives Brain of Toddler Who Nearly Drowned
- Boxers, MMA Fighters May Face Long-Term Harm to Brain: Study
- Force, Frequency of Head Hits Jump as Young Football Players Get Older
- 'Brain Age' May Help Predict When You'll Die
- Type 2 Diabetes May Be Bad for Brain Health
- Could a Zap to the Brain Jog Failing Memory?
- Hockey Doesn't Seem to Hit Players' Thinking Skills: Study
- Brain Chip Helps Paralyzed 'Type' With Their Mind
- Better Sleep May Signal Recovery From Brain Injury
- Heart Failure Protein May Signal Early Brain Damage
- Scans Show Changes in Some Soldiers With Mild Brain Injuries
- Few States Have Plans for Kids Returning to Class After Concussion
- Health Tip: Recognizing Traumatic Brain Injury
- New Tool Gauges Likely Survival After Gunshot to the Head
- Brain Chips Help Paralyzed Man Regain Sense of Touch Using Robotic Arm
- Sleep Doesn't Come Easy to Those With Brain Injuries
- Could Implanted Sensor Revolutionize Brain Monitoring?
- Many Who Survive Cardiac Arrest Don't Suffer Brain Damage
- Rugby Player's Head Injuries Linked to Brain Decline
- Head Injuries May Prematurely Age the Brain, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Does Your Bike Helmet Fit?
- Vets' Brain Damage From Blasts Not Always Apparent: Study
- What 'Brain-Dead' Means
- Pop Songs May Awaken Fond Memories for Brain-Damaged Patients
- Sex Lives Often an Overlooked Casualty of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Boston Bombing Aftermath: Fear, Empathy, Anger
- Prepared for Trauma, Overwhelmed by Carnage
- Citicoline Supplement Doesn't Help Treat Brain Injury, Study Finds
- Scans Spot Brain Changes in Patients With Concussion Syndrome
- Study Shows Bicycle Helmets Save Lives
- Study of Brain-Injured Man Sheds Light on Self-Awareness
- Adding More Neurosurgeons Could Cut Traffic Deaths: Study
- College Football Players' Concussion Rates Double
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter